Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Traded in my S for a X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now the wait begins! I traded in my leased P85D after 22 months of issue-free ownership. Our family is growing and we need the extra seat this winter (the S's third row rear-facing doesn't work for us for our new baby and one-year old). We have older kids too and they are super excited for the X after a lovely visit to the Lawrence store. Now we wait until a year-end delivery.

I have been driving our other car, a sturdy Q7 and I am so ready to get a Tesla back. The Q7, despite having decent torque, feels so sluggish under my feet, and the car interface feels so antiquated. I am also resenting the hell out of having to fill up once a week (or more!) and miss just sipping electrons at the house while I do other things. And getting into a cold car in the morning? Pshaw...old skool.

For those interested, I actually had significant positive equity in the leased P85D - surprisingly. I assumed I'd have to pay to end the lease. Nope! I leased the car when the CAD was strong against the USD - perhaps that helped. I also had the next gen seats, heated steering wheel, and newer tires.

Thanks to Scott Mackenzie (as usual!), Matt and Nikkita at the Lawrence store for their help and patience. While shopping for a car with 5 kids wasn't fun as the Mom, the store was very accommodating (and luckily very quiet!).

For those interested, I actually had significant positive equity in the leased P85D - surprisingly. I assumed I'd have to pay to end the lease. Nope! I leased the car when the CAD was strong against the USD - perhaps that helped. I also had the next gen seats, heated steering wheel, and newer tires.

Interesting.

I've got the exact same situation with my P85D. It's worth a lot more that the residual that will be left when the lease ends. I've been assuming that I would buy the car out and resell it to recover the equity. What exactly did you you end up doing?

Interesting.

I've got the exact same situation with my P85D. It's worth a lot more that the residual that will be left when the lease ends. I've been assuming that I would buy the car out and resell it to recover the equity. What exactly did you you end up doing?

I sold it back to Tesla and got a cheque in the mail. I didn't want to wait until the X was delivered in case they changed their minds :-D

Just got to test drive a X90D for first time today and check out the interior features. Tesla trade-in value was good for our Model S90D, so I placed a deposit for a X90D in deep blue metallic, EAP, 6 seats, ultra white interior with CF and not sure if I'd get the tow package or UHF sound.

Expecting delivery at the end of Feb 2017 for a 2017 build and crossing my fingers that the 90kWh battery will actually be a limited 100D battery with 2170 cells at 90%. The X will be the family hauler so my wife is gonna drive it most of the times while I will end up taking her MC Red S90D.

Reactions: SmartElectric
Here's why I did it. Easier to get in and out of the X, especially as I get older. This also applies to my family who always complained about the back seat ingress and egress.
That windshield! Those doors!
The seats are far more comfortable and the sound system is much better.
Nicer trim in the interior.
Of course getting the latest and greatest was a factor of course.
That being said I would not go back to an S (I had an original Sig and then a P85D)

We are trading in our Blue Model S and keeping our other MC Red Model S. The Model S isn't enough space for long road trips and my daughter gets car sick riding backwards when we have more than 5 people in the car and she needs to sit in the jumpseats. The last thing we need is to travel with barf bags in the trunk all the time, otherwise we love the Model S.

My wife and I test drove a X90D six seat configuration and the extra space sold us on it. The free supercharging that is still available till Jan 1, 2017 orders pushed us into the X rather than waiting another year or two. There won't be too many Model X or S out there with AP2, FSD (if allowable), and free supercharging combo in Canada and I'm sure it will be a sought after combo.

Beating the deadline for another 3% base pricing increase seems like a bonus savings of approximately $3600 by submitting my order last night.

Reactions: ModelX
Just got to test drive a X90D for first time today and check out the interior features. Tesla trade-in value was good for our Model S90D, so I placed a deposit for a X90D in deep blue metallic, EAP, 6 seats, ultra white interior with CF and not sure if I'd get the tow package or UHF sound.

Expecting delivery at the end of Feb 2017 for a 2017 build and crossing my fingers that the 90kWh battery will actually be a limited 100D battery with 2170 cells at 90%. The X will be the family hauler so my wife is gonna drive it most of the times while I will end up taking her MC Red S90D.
Nice choice, the blue looks great on the X, although I'm partial to white. Did u go black Headliner? We're you able to demo standard sound on the X? I might consider tow pkg for resale, it sounds like you aren't a long termer.

I have the standard stereo system in my two Model S's and it is good enough for me. The ultra white seat option is bundled in with black headliner now and I think only the Sig X had the option for white seats with white liner. Will be keeping the X longterm now, but I don't need the tow package because my Toyota Tundra can tow up to 10500 lbs. Range would suck anyways trying to tow 5000 lbs. Only trading in our blue S because of the no free supercharging as of April 1.

I too just ordered an X due to substantial positive equity. I wasn't surprised though since I got such a good deal on a demo model that even back then I could have turned around and sold it privately for $10,000 more than I paid.

However, I am surprised so many others do too. Maybe it's a new sales pitch to call people, offer a few thousand in "positive equity" to sell a $150,000 item. Phrased that way, I almost feel like a sucker.

I was hoping to keep my winter tires and rims. I assumed since the Model X was built on the same platform as the S, it would use the same wheels. Sadly no. So, there goes $4,000 of that equity on new tires and rims.