Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trading in Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have any experience trading in or selling their Model S to the DS? We all know how much the CPO's sell for, but I am curious how much the DS pays for those cars before turning them over and reselling them. Are people losing a lot of money selling back to the DS?

Just for grins we asked what our 70D would trade for and it was about 20K less than they are sell privately for. FYI.
Wow that's shocking and depressing. B/c Tesla offers such a stellar warranty on their CPO's, it really discourages private party sales. This means Tesla can basically take full advantage of people trying to trade their cars in.

I also asked my OA how much my 70 would be worth. I've had it for 8.5 months and 10k miles so far. If I trade in to Tesla directly, I would take a $25k hit from the price I paid. I understand depreciation on luxury cars is pretty high in the first year, but this amount is too rich for my blood. Tesla also subtracts a cost to sell which in my case was almost 6k. FYI

Reactions: BBB4000
Hi, @StuartPDX,

Do you happen to know how much an equivalent to your 90 was selling for as a CPO?

I'm thinking that the resale value of my 2013 P85+ (which I'm planning to resell this month), is bounded on the low side by Tesla's offer to me (based on the Residual Value Guarantee) and on the high side by what Tesla is offering a 2013 CPO for. That's a spread of about $4K. Keeping in mind that the Tesla CPO also comes with a warranty. While I have an extended warranty, and a few nice additions on my car (such as Xpel over the full body), it's hard for me to see that a buyer would want to pay MORE for my private sale than what they would pay for a CPO.

So I'm thinking that your 90, at the time you sold it, would have had an equivalent CPO version that cost a little more than what you got paid in the private sale.

Could you confirm or refute my conjecture?

Thanks,
Alan

Hi, @davidc18, how did the amount Tesla offered on trade-in for your 70D compare to the amount that your 70D would sell for as a certified pre-owned from Tesla? (I've been looking at the ev-cpo.com website.)

Thanks,
Alan

I don't see any 70D listed but there is an S60 (2015) listed for 63,000 which would be +15,000 more than the trade in offer on the 2015 70D. If you talk to anyone at the SC they can relate to how unhappy people have been with the offers, and they are getting a lot of calls with the AP 2.0 announcement. The worst hit is on cars less than 6mo old, as you can imagine.

I also asked my OA how much my 70 would be worth. I've had it for 8.5 months and 10k miles so far. If I trade in to Tesla directly, I would take a $25k hit from the price I paid. I understand depreciation on luxury cars is pretty high in the first year, but this amount is too rich for my blood. Tesla also subtracts a cost to sell which in my case was almost 6k. FYI
Don't forget to subtract the tax credits from the depreciation amount. That will give you a much better representation of the real deprecation.

I don't see any 70D listed but there is an S60 (2015) listed for 63,000 which would be +15,000 more than the trade in offer on the 2015 70D. If you talk to anyone at the SC they can relate to how unhappy people have been with the offers, and they are getting a lot of calls with the AP 2.0 announcement. The worst hit is on cars less than 6mo old, as you can imagine.

Thank you, kind sir!