Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

trading

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Might be a stupid move, but I converted some shares to a JUN22 $1000 LEAP. (Yes, I'm a small timer and quite risk-averse :))

I was on the fence for a while about this but this is what pushed me over the edge:
- if the ER turns out to be great, I have some extra leverage (not the best option for that, but I don't like to gamble);
- if the SP drops (after ER for example), there is plenty of time till expiry for the option to recover AND I plan to add more LEAPS in this case.

Reason I got edgy is currently I'm only holding a JAN22 $640 LEAP which is up 500% but I don't want to get rid of it before either we reach JAN21 or the stock goes to $1000. We've only just reached the juicy part.

However, if the stock goes crazy (in a positive sense) I want to be able to take something of the table and keep a leveraged position.

Also, I'm quite convinced $1000 is possible by early 2022. If not I'll roll the call over around JUN21.

Not advice. Just sharing.

Anyone buying short term calls for the ER? I looked at some of them but found them all so pricey.

Good call imo. I'm fairly confident in my Jun'22 $990s tbh. As long as they are not short on batteries, I have a hard time seeing them do less than $5B in EBIT in 2021. If that comes true, we'd only need a ~40x trailing EBIT multiple to break even.

I think more likely they'll do ~$7-8B, maybe as much as $10-11B in EBIT in 2021, and something like a 60-80x trailing EBIT multiple also seems more reasonably than 40x for TSLA in that position. That could lead to anywhere from a $2k - $4k SP by early 2022.

Main risk in my opinion is insufficient batteries.

I'm traveling next week or two, and I might write a more detailed blog about these options including my financial models then.

Thanks. Donors are ensured all proceeds go to the "jeewee300 Dry Powder Fund" (TM).

On a serious note, only bought it this morning, so won't make a fortune on it. Currently trading around $5,00.
Whelp, that'll show me not to trade on an empty stomach! (Or before news that I couldn't predict comes out;))
Given the last two days, you may well be in the money by expiry.:)

Looked at 31JAN20 calls/puts to see if I could play ER at a decent price.

Not an advice, but as expected the premiums are insanely high. I'll just be holding my stock/LEAPS.

(Might be OT since I'm stating I'm NOT trading :p)
I bought 540/550 bull spread on Monday for $4 and made $6. So, now I paid $10 for a 570/595 spread. Might buy a put hedge on Wednesday hoping to breakeven if the SP goes down after ER.

I've executed two different trades going into Q4 earnings, both small.

1. A $900 strike call calendar spread (long 10x 2/21, short 6x 1/31) lotto ticket, executed such that my cost is $0.
  2. 2x $480-$450 put credit spreads expiring 1/31 at an average credit of $4.20 per spread. If we drop significantly again tomorrow, I will consider adding one more and/or capping some long puts expiring 2/21 as spreads.