Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Traffic aware cruise control - initial set speed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just for another point of reference, 39.7.2, and I use TACC alone a lot around town. The first click up or down has always worked for me.
I think my car may just be "special." Thanks for the input. We have the same software. I'm starting to wonder if it is just a defective scroll wheel. And now I wonder.... does that scroll wheel do anything else at this stage besides set speed?

Understood. And I agree on all accounts. Tesla *does* need to be made aware of it though. Or maybe it's the case that I'm the only one having the issue? I'll just keep testing it when I can (always fun to have games to play to make the drive more interesting, right?) and when I finally have something conclusive, I'll submit it to Tesla.... unless I have my next service appointment before that, then I'll address it with the folks there. I appreciate your help (and I'm glad that you mentioned using AP, as that's a variable that I will next text)

If I remember, I will try to test it. But to be honest, I will never see myself doing this normally... going into TACC and immediately lower the set speed limit. That's what you were trying to do right?

I think my car may just be "special." Thanks for the input. We have the same software. I'm starting to wonder if it is just a defective scroll wheel. And now I wonder.... does that scroll wheel do anything else at this stage besides set speed?

While driving the right thumbwheel adjusts speed (up/down) and distance (left/right). I believe this thumbwheel also controls steering wheel in/out and up/down. You may want to try that and see if it has the same operation with the steering wheel.

I cannot imagine how a defective scroll wheel would regularly fail, but only on the first click down. If the scroll wheel is defective, it should happen more than just the first click.

If I remember, I will try to test it. But to be honest, I will never see myself doing this normally... going into TACC and immediately lower the set speed limit. That's what you were trying to do right?
Yeah, I know. A bit of an edge case. But these nagging issues.... nag me. Yes, mine fails when I enter TACC, and then chose to set my target speed one MPH slower than the car wants.

Yeah, I know. A bit of an edge case. But these nagging issues.... nag me. Yes, mine fails when I enter TACC, and then chose to set my target speed one MPH slower than the car wants.

I get it that little things like this can nag. But as a practical matter, having to down-scroll two clicks to get a one-mph drop is not what I'd call a fail. I'd call it a quirk.

It really would make more sense to provide an option for the set speed to begin at the car's current speed (which it does if you're going faster than the detected speed limit, but not if you're going slower.) Or at the very least allow the set speed to be selected before engaging TACC or AP.

Reactions: APotatoGod

Well, sorry to tell you that I tried and tried and I don't experience what you did. I enter TACC and I could immediately down scroll and lower the speed by 1. Tried up too... works fine. Tried with AutoSteer and both down and up are fine. Your car is unique. :D

I get it that little things like this can nag. But as a practical matter, having to down-scroll two clicks to get a one-mph drop is not what I'd call a fail. I'd call it a quirk.
I'll see your quirk, and raise you a failure. I shall now call it a quirky failure. :)

It really would make more sense to provide an option for the set speed to begin at the car's current speed (which it does if you're going faster than the detected speed limit, but not if you're going slower.) Or at the very least allow the set speed to be selected before engaging TACC or AP.
Indeed. I've been saying this same thing since the first time I experienced the unexpected acceleration up to my "speed limit plus speed warning offset" that I'd inadvertently set. I do not want my car to ever first accelerate when I set the cruise!

Well, sorry to tell you that I tried and tried and I don't experience what you did. I enter TACC and I could immediately down scroll and lower the speed by 1. Tried up too... works fine. Tried with AutoSteer and both down and up are fine. Your car is unique. :D
I prefer "special" but unique is good too... Thanks for trying, and for the confirmation of yet another item that makes my car stand out from the crowd.

Last edited:
Reactions: APotatoGod
If you turn off the Speed limit warning in the settings, your initial TACC speed should be your current speed.
*Should* is the operative word there. Because it doesn't (or at least hasn't been) working like this. Try this: Set your warning at 10mph above the speed limit. Then turn OFF the speed limit warning. (you must do all this when stopped and in Park). Now find a 65mph freeway.... drive 65mph and click into TACC. Zoom, you're off to 75mph. If you find that you do NOT wish to be taken up to your "warning speed" you cannot change this setting while moving. So you're stuck with it until you next exit the freeway and pull over.

So yeah. First step is to totally separate any "warning" from the TACC operation. Next is to have the a choice to set the TACC to current speed, or the speed limit.

I'd like to have a settable warning. But it shouldn't interfere with the cruise control operation in any way!

Two things to report since Wednesday:

1. Before my latest software update (so while still on 39), my scroll wheel has now functioned properly on first try three times in a row. So no reason for it to start working properly... it just has. At least for now. :shrug:
2. After the latest software release (42.3), it is now possible to set the speed limit offset to -20 mph! I don't yet have any idea if the "warning" has also finally been decoupled from the TACC initial speed setting, but this is definitely a change (I note that they also defaulted the warning to "display" where I had mine off before the 42.3 update)

Reactions: DR61 and JES2
Well, good news and bad news on the TACC operation under 42.3.

Bad: The TACC setting still is affected by the speed warning (even when set to off!) A speed warning should have nothing to do with cruise control, yet it still does.

Good: as I mentioned in the previous post, it is now possible to set that speed warning to a negative offset (max -20). So if you set that to -20, and then turn it off (because really, this pretty much makes any speed warning 100% useless), you are then able to set the initial TACC speed at any speed up to 20 mph below the limit.

Example: Speed limit is 50 mph. You are driving 35 mph, and you initiate TACC. You are now set at 35 mph. If you are driving at 25 mph and initiate TACC, it will zoom up to 30 mph.

Will anybody ever figure out why they're tying the speed warning to the initial cruise setting?

4DF13FE2-D127-427D-89E9-A9F1B524FFDF.png
FEF40A6B-2E49-4574-9ABE-6E7FB2B5A6B1.jpeg
DFB0310C-D248-4EF2-9A29-541472BE63B7.png
B3A54DD9-64F0-4513-8198-674959505AF7.png
9CF9B47A-F403-4E48-BAB2-204C199F32FF.jpeg
FF57B275-C18D-434D-BA79-63FDC5DF2307.png
Took so long typing this up I got logged off. Thought I’d lost it. I took a screenshot quick when I back paged then it was gone. Sorry. :-/

Yellow is Speed Assist, blue is current speed and red is set speed. Sorry it’s a mess. I should sleep now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lobstahz
View attachment 349677 View attachment 349676 View attachment 349675 View attachment 349674 View attachment 349672 View attachment 349673 Took so long typing this up I got logged off. Thought I’d lost it. I took a screenshot quick when I back paged then it was gone. Sorry. :-/

Yellow is Speed Assist, blue is current speed and red is set speed. Sorry it’s a mess. I should sleep now.
Nicely done! That the best attempt at figuring this all out that I've yet seen. I have a couple of comments/questions.

1. My experience is that if you have anything set in the Speed Limit Warning, it affects TACC even when you do not have display or chime on. When I enter any number (absolute or offset), and ensure that the warning is OFF, The gray circle shows the new target speed that is different from the speed limit. And certainly when TACC is activated, the car tries to achieve that different speed. So the only way to avoid having Speed Limit Warning affect TACC is to make sure there is not absolute nor offset entered.

2. The manual always say to pull the lever "fully down." To set TACC or AP, I only need to use a gentle down (once or twice, depending). I don't need to go "fully down" into the stiffer, secondary stalk position (that on the left stalk would put the turn signal into continuous mode). Do other drivers need to push the lever "fully down" into that second position? I have yet to discover what that secondary, "fully down" position for that lever is used for.

3. And finally.... why? Why does Tesla think it is a good idea to tie a Speed Limit Warning into action that goes well beyond "warning" and in fact most often results in acceleration? I'd love to be able to set a warning. And apparently some drivers would like to set a pre-determined target speed for TACC that the car achieves regardless of current speed. Me, I'd sure like TACC to simply initiate at my current speed. It seems like we could all have what we want with a new toggle. And I'm not sure that anybody wants the "warning" to be the initial TACC setting... especially if the warning is OFF! For me it makes the warning completely useless. I want to be WARNED of when I'm X mph over the limit... I don't wish to actually drive at that speed all the time!

I have found that one half-click down is sufficient to initiate TACC and two half-clicks down is sufficient to initiate AP, though I'm seldom able to avoid the full-click down.

If I was not about to leave for Maui for 5 months, leaving my Model 3 here, I would try your trick of setting the warning at minus 20 and then turning it off. I probably won't know how to operate the car any more when I get back, it will have changed so much.

I understand and appreciate those that want the ability to set TACC to the current speed and not speed limit.

For me 99% of the time I set cruise control I will be planning to go to speed limit or slightly higher. So personally I like the way TACC speed setting works. Rather than waiting to get up to speed limit, I can go ahead and set TACC and let the car ramp up to speed or follow the lead car up to speed. Then I can trim up or down.

I understand and appreciate those that want the ability to set TACC to the current speed and not speed limit.

For me 99% of the time I set cruise control I will be planning to go to speed limit or slightly higher. So personally I like the way TACC speed setting works. Rather than waiting to get up to speed limit, I can go ahead and set TACC and let the car ramp up to speed or follow the lead car up to speed. Then I can trim up or down.

I'd be okay with this if the car always knew the real speed limit. The problem is that on a lot of streets in my city the limit is 25 but the car thinks it's 35. I engage AP and the car immediately puts on maximum acceleration to get to 35. I have to quickly flick down twice on the knob or I'll be over the limit in an eye blink.

I'd be okay with this if the car always knew the real speed limit. The problem is that on a lot of streets in my city the limit is 25 but the car thinks it's 35. I engage AP and the car immediately puts on maximum acceleration to get to 35. I have to quickly flick down twice on the knob or I'll be over the limit in an eye blink.

I just don’t use TACC on any street under 45 and only if I trust the displayed SL.