Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Traffic aware cruise control - initial set speed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FYI, Model S (with it's dedicated TACC/Autopilot stalk) will allow you to set to your current speed by pushing the stalk up or down (SET). It will also allow you to set to the posted speed limit + whatever offset you have set by pulling the stalk forward (RESUME/SET TO POSTED LIMIT).

I agree that there needs to be a way to engage TACC at your current speed versus having it start accelerating to the speed it thinks you want.

Mike

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod and DR61
Yes I agree. I don't understand why it can't match the driver phone to the profile. Seems like a simple one to implement.

An example of one issues that drives me crazy is when I set my wife and my profile, and I unlock the car with my phone, it doesn’t move the seats to my position without getting in the car and pressing my profile on the screen. It seems like that makes zero sense. My friend says his S doesn’t work that way. Am I missing something?

Reactions: DR61
I just got my 3, and we have an S. On the S I'm annoyed I have to wait 5 seconds after turning onto a road before I can enable the cruise to speed limit +9. The car is so fast that it's just easier if the car brings me up to speed. So, on the 3 I'm happy with the current resume mode but I really want the +9.
I do think it's be great to have both as an option. I like the idea of pushing the stalk down a little for set current speed and all the way for speed + offset resume. (Offset could be negative) I think that would fit well with the general user interface of tacc and autopilot.
Can't we all just get along?! :)

Reactions: APotatoGod
New idea: Engage at current speed and click the right ball to set to database speed (or tap the speed limit icon). I think the right ball is currently voice control so maybe that could be moved to the left ball (which already controls audio so it makes sense).

New idea: Engage at current speed and click the right ball to set to database speed (or tap the speed limit icon). I think the right ball is currently voice control so maybe that could be moved to the left ball (which already controls audio so it makes sense).

The left ball controls mute/pause, can't move it to the left ball.

I prefer TACC to go to the speed limit over current speed so like the system as is, but, I would like to see in the menu the option to have TACC set to speed limit or current speed.

Do left and right clicks on the right wheel do anything? If not perhaps it could be configured to that, such as defaulting to current speed, with right click changing to speed limit. Perhaps even implement a save speed option by pressing and holding left on the right wheel for a second, and restore that speed with a short left click of the wheel. I think some other cruise control systems implement functionality like that.

• Disagree
Reactions: Naonak
Do left and right clicks on the right wheel do anything? If not perhaps it could be configured to that, such as defaulting to current speed, with right click changing to speed limit. Perhaps even implement a save speed option by pressing and holding left on the right wheel for a second, and restore that speed with a short left click of the wheel. I think some other cruise control systems implement functionality like that.

left/right on the right wheel are for increase/decrease following distance.

• Informative
left/right on the right wheel are for increase/decrease following distance.
Oh, right. Forgot about that, as it’s been a while since I’ve used EAP (when my free trial expired) :oops:. I suppose my suggestion wouldn’t work then, unless they relocate the following distance commands (which I’m sure would also annoy people :(). I suppose this is the downside of the Model 3’s minimalism, difficult to fit all the important functions in easy to reach places.

• Disagree
How about they just add the option to have the cruise enable at the current speed, or the current relative to speed limit way (current). Then you chose the style you like?

I guess I'd be OK with this.
The problem I have thought, is that if someone else drives the car, or if you are in a friend's car or a rental the first time you engage the cruise control you don't know what is going to happen. Customizing everything how "you like it" is great for your favorite songs and radio stations. But things that can cause unintended acceleration should be hidden three layers deep in a menu somewhere.
A casual second driver of a family car may not have ever known about such a setting and they get in someone else's car or a rental and it suddenly jerks faster like a jack rabbit. Not a good idea, IMO.

In any case, why not display more information, especially if there are two modes. Popup a display that stays on for at least 30 seconds explaining that you just engaged cruise control at the speed limit mode and two buttons (OK, switch mode to engage at current speed).
There are lots of people that don't read manuals (even if they are on the car's display), they don't read message boards and expect everything to work safely just like every other car they've driven.

The problem I have thought, is that if someone else drives the car, or if you are in a friend's car or a rental the first time you engage the cruise control you don't know what is going to happen. Customizing everything how "you like it" is great for your favorite songs and radio stations. But things that can cause unintended acceleration should be hidden three layers deep in a menu somewhere.
A casual second driver of a family car may not have ever known about such a setting and they get in someone else's car or a rental and it suddenly jerks faster like a jack rabbit. Not a good idea, IMO.

In any case, why not display more information, especially if there are two modes. Popup a display that stays on for at least 30 seconds explaining that you just engaged cruise control at the speed limit mode and two buttons (OK, switch mode to engage at current speed).
There are lots of people that don't read manuals (even if they are on the car's display), they don't read message boards and expect everything to work safely just like every other car they've driven.

I owned a car that would have that ridiculous legal disclaimer every time you turned on navigation - I have no clue what it said since I never read it once but it was extremely annoyed every time I turned on the nav. I don't want a disclaimer screen on my car.

The car shows you now what the speed will be when you engage TACC, I don't think you need more. As far as unknown, it is really no different as having different creep, regen or standard/chill settings - the car will act differently depending on the settings and you will need to find out what the settings are beforehand. This wouldn't be an issue for a second driver as their profile would have all the menu options they choose.

To some extent this is already the case, depending on whether the car has EAP or not. Non-autopilot enabled cars keep the current speed when cruise control is enabled, while autopilot cars jump to the speed limit.

I don’t think giving people the option to set it to the current speed, making it behave like a non-autopilot car in this way would make it much more confusing than it already is when driving a car setup differently than your own. And there’s already a safety problem with driving with the wrong profile, as mirrors are often not aligned properly for you, in addition to unknown steering, regeneration, and acceleration settings.

Especially given you can see what it’ll accelerate to before enabling cruise control, I don’t think It’d be a problem to give people the option to set it as they like.

• Disagree
The Manual states “When driving at your desired speed, set the cruising speed by moving the gear level fully down once then releasing”. But I found that if I am below the speed limit, it usually (but not always) sets to the detected speed limit, not the current (and desired) speed. Once in a while, it does set to the current speed. My local Tesla service could not figure this out, and said they would inquire about it. They didn't have another Model 3 available to compare.

What speed does your Model 3 set to if you turn on cruise control when going below the speed limit?
I just posted this same issue on the model 3 facebook forum. Yeah it's really annoying. You can't set your cruise speed anywhere below the posted speed limit. I was advised to switch from "relative" to "absolute" in the autopilot settings, and that didn't change anything.

I encourage people to report this to Tesla through the website. With how much bad press AP has gotten lately, being able to identify and correct something like this would be a big step toward making the cars safer. The diagnostics team pulled the data from my car and they are supposed to have more information for me next week.
Do you see somewhere on the tesla website to report things like this? I don't see any.

Do you see somewhere on the tesla website to report things like this? I don't see any.

Use the Ask a Question form in the Account>Manage section.

Also, pretty much the only way you'll be acknowledged is if you check the "Escalate this concern for executive review" box. I've sent bug reports without checking the box and never heard back. If you check that box, someone will actually respond to you, though it can take a few weeks. For anything safety-related, I have zero problems using the escalate box.