Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Traffic light and stop sign control greyed out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Resist

Mar 24, 2019
California
Just noticed today that Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control is greyed out. It's telling me I need updated maps and to download them by connecting to WiFi whoever my car is connected to WiFi and I can't find a way to make it download anything. I have FSD beta 10.5, does that have anything to do with it?

Just noticed today that Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control is greyed out. It's telling me I need updated maps and to download them by connecting to WiFi whoever my car is connected to WiFi and I can't find a way to make it download anything. I have FSD beta 10.5, does that have anything to do with it?
Needs an update or to continue downloading an update (you can do part now and part later) you have a yellow download icon. When connected to WiFi and it is downloading you get a green icon. You can see the progress under Software. Navigation data is a separate update from a system update and has it's own version number (see pic for Navigation Data version number under system version number). It is also a larger download and we get this about 2x a year.

IMG_5917.jpeg
IMG_5982.jpeg

• Helpful
Reactions: outdoors
I took delivery on my M3 LR (no FSD) this past weekend. I've gotten the cameras calibrated and AutoPilot seems to be working OK now. I thought that stop sign and stop light recognition was supposed to be available for Autopilot even without FSD, but can't find it in the menu for Autopilot settings. Is it limited to FSD?

I took delivery on my M3 LR (no FSD) this past weekend. I've gotten the cameras calibrated and AutoPilot seems to be working OK now. I thought that stop sign and stop light recognition was supposed to be available for Autopilot even without FSD, but can't find it in the menu for Autopilot settings. Is it limited to FSD?
Can you post the car software version? Some newly delivered cars are not on the latest software for a while, so you might not have the latest options yet.

Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control, i.e. smooth traffic control response, is a paid-FSD feature, at least in the USA. I don't think you're missing anything you're supposed to have.

With standard Tesla autopilot (since around 2020 I think), the car will still look for the lights and signs, but this is not intended for normal Autopilot driving assistance, only for emergency backup. If you try to run the red light or stop sign, it will give you an emergency warning and/or Auto-Emergency Braking event at the last moment, but this is clearly a last-resort warning, not a self-driving feature. You can override the warnings with either (paid smooth-response or standard emergency-response) feature, and power through the intersection to the tune of shrill warning alarms.

With the paid-FSD feature, the car sees the red light or stop ahead and slows down smoothly and appropriately. If the light is green and there is no car "running interference" in front of you, then, you will get a chime well ahead of time (along with a tiny and IMO relatively useless message on the visualization screen) and you must confirm your agreement to proceed through. This can be by flicking the stalk one click down, or by lightly pressing the accelerator pedal.

I find that this feature works very well in almost all cases (non-beta aka "old stack" paid FSD). It almost never detects wrongly at standard intersections, and it also seems to make very appropriate yellow-light go/no-go decisions.

However, I don't rely on it to detect the lights properly even though it seems quite reliable. I also don't depend on it to look for jaywalkers, red-light runners or oncoming cars turning across my lane. The accuracy of response to such emergencies is hard to discern since they are rare events - I've noted the car slowing and/or alarming for turn-in-front-of-me events, but no way can I prove it would always do so. Also, I don't drive through many of the oddball super-confusing intersections as seen in FSD-beta videos - and if I did, I can't see trying to engage Autopilot at all in such neighborhoods. Production AP, with or without Traffic Light Control, is a highway and suburban-boulevard feature, not an urban-streets feature. When the City Streets (now FSD beta) comes up to wide release, I hope it will handle lights as reliably - but that's a tall order at some of those jumbled intersections.

What I would say is that I can safely pay more attention to watching for emergencies at intersections, rather than being occupied with staring up at the green light in case it turns yellow. I find this to be a confidence-builder and a stress-reducer and I love it.

The second function of the green-light chime is to alert you of a new green light when you're the lead car stopped at the red light. It waits about a second or so, and I rarely get that chime because I usually confirm as soon as the light changes. If it delayed any longer, you'd probably get a honk before the chime!

Bottom line is that I assign this feature more value than many others do. I know that it's common for people on TMC to deride it when complaining about FSD pricing, because after all it doesn't absolve you of the need to pay attention, but it actually increases the enjoyment of driving.

On the flip side, there are one or two threads with people lobbying that Tesla should make Traffic Light Control standard, in the name of Safety and Humanity Which is Incredibly Important But apparently Not Worth Paying Anything Extra For. This seems contrary to the derision of the feature by others.