Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trailer Hitch on Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I currently own a 2016 Model X and about to buy another one. One thing I miss in my '16 model is a trailer hitch. All I want is to attach my bicycle rack.

Do you know if I have to purchase any accessory before I can use my bike rack? I have a Thule rack that goes into a 2" hitch receiver. There is no option on tesla.com when building a car.

Thank you. Did you have to attach it or its pre-installed?

Ours (took delivery last week) came with the hitch in a Tesla-branded bag, but was not installed. A ball mount is not included, just the receiver and a trailer brake wiring harness. The MX owners manual has instructions for installing it starting on page 90... Something I'll probably do this weekend as we need to move some bikes around soon.

I currently own a 2016 Model X and about to buy another one. One thing I miss in my '16 model is a trailer hitch. All I want is to attach my bicycle rack.

Do you know if I have to purchase any accessory before I can use my bike rack? I have a Thule rack that goes into a 2" hitch receiver. There is no option on tesla.com when building a car.

Back in 2016, the hitch on the X was an option. Either the full tow hitch, or the accessory hitch; which never actually existed. So for all 2016 Model X's you could have one of these three:

1) No hitch at all.
2) A hitch, but no software for tow mode.
3) A hitch, with software for tow mode.

The hitch itself is the same if it comes with the car. Starting in July 2017, all MXs started coming standard with the tow package, which included the hitch and the software. So if you're buying another X new, you'll have everything needed to use your Thule rack. On your existing 2016, you'll need to buy the hitch receiver and it can be installed on your car w/o the software to use your Thule rack. You will need the software if you want to tow.

As Vinn says, that was a transitional time for Model X tow package.

I ordered the smaller accessory hitch, but when it arrived it had the full size hitch installed. The hardware was installed with hitch, receiver and plugs, but the software was not enabled.

About 6 months later I took it into service for a folding seat concern. They were able to install the Software (no charge :) and now it automatically senses when I am towing something and switches to tow mode. Have used it to carry bikes and a small accessory carry all tray.

It pulls fantastic, with lots of power, but you need to always be careful not to overload the ball or receiver. There was a small hatch below the rear bumper. Took it off and all the stuff was already installed.

At that time many owners asked to have the hitch installed after delivery, but were told it was a difficult thing to do. Some got it done, but soon afterwards the Service centers were advised to discontinue installing hitches on cars that did not come from the factory with the hardware.

Hitch gives tremendous versatiility to the Model X.

As Vinn says, that was a transitional time for Model X tow package.

I ordered the smaller accessory hitch, but when it arrived it had the full size hitch installed. The hardware was installed with hitch, receiver and plugs, but the software was not enabled.

About 6 months later I took it into service for a folding seat concern. They were able to install the Software (no charge :) and now it automatically senses when I am towing something and switches to tow mode. Have used it to carry bikes and a small accessory carry all tray.

It pulls fantastic, with lots of power, but you need to always be careful not to overload the ball or receiver. There was a small hatch below the rear bumper. Took it off and all the stuff was already installed.

At that time many owners asked to have the hitch installed after delivery, but were told it was a difficult thing to do. Some got it done, but soon afterwards the Service centers were advised to discontinue installing hitches on cars that did not come from the factory with the hardware.

Hitch gives tremendous versatiility to the Model X.

I wonder if I take my MX in with an Installed used OEM hitch and tow hook- if they would install the software for me?
Also- do you need to software it just using hitch for skis/bikes etc? Or just for twining?

I wonder if I take my MX in with an Installed used OEM hitch and tow hook- if they would install the software for me?
Also- do you need to software it just using hitch for skis/bikes etc? Or just for twining?

They will. It’ll cost $500-$750 for the software.

You only need the software for towing, you don’t need it for hitch racks.

Installing the hitch is a real piece of cake. There are two "buttons that hold a plastic cover for the hitch receiver location. To get the buttons out, all you have to do is pop the center out of the buttons. Use a small flathead screwdriver and insert into the narrow opening, then just pry the button out. Once the center of the button is protruding outward, the entire button will come right out. Once both buttons are removed (SAVE THEM), remove the plastic cover (SAVE IT) to expose the hitch receiver area. Remove the plastic cover from the actual hitch installation hole (SAVE IT). Take the hitch that came with the car and insert it into the hole. If the black locking wheel was left in the correct position, as soon as you push the hitch up into the hole, it will immediately lock in place. Then turn the red key the only way it will turn and remove the key (SAVE IT). Put the white keyhole cover over the keyhole, and you're all set. If you're towing a trailer, you'll need to put the suspension in STANDARD height per the manual. When you hook up your trailer lights, Tow Mode will automatically come on. The driver's instrument panel will display a blue camping trailer at the top of the screen. I've done this so many times, it only takes me 1 min 30 sec to install the hitch. When you take the hitch out, you'll need to put all that stuff you saved back on the car.

Pismo,

the Drawtite 76134 hitch can be bought aftermarket for $220 and their install instructions are fantastic.

etrailers.com has the hitch and downloadable instructions.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hi...LeKuJmEowqs1WzakFtM925CvnadYZyQBoCu5cQAvD_BwE

After taking a look today in the compartment underneath the rear of the car. I noticed there’s a bumper support. I can’t find any videos regarding this, however, do I need to remove the bumper support and replace it with that new hitch? Or is the hitch go under the bumper support? Just looking for some clarity as I am good with taking off the rear bumper but I am unsure after that

Also, if you install, you do not have to cut into the fascia to install this hitch, if you are careful and diligent, the bumper will install over the reciever, and the only plastic you will need to cut into is the reciever cover. I was lucky to have a friend help me maneuver the bumper so that we could install everything with a minimal amount of cutting.

Also, if you install, you do not have to cut into the fascia to install this hitch, if you are careful and diligent, the bumper will install over the reciever, and the only plastic you will need to cut into is the reciever cover. I was lucky to have a friend help me maneuver the bumper so that we could install everything with a minimal amount of cutting.

Thanks - doyou have the cover cut out to fit around the hitch?
Any pictures and or measurements, I was thinking abstractly how I can do it..

Since I havent seen a youtube video, I was hoping to make one, about installing a non-tesla hitch for a non-tow package