Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Transferring Model 3 Reservation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Non-transferable is right. There is a reason for this and that reason is to avoid resale for profit and instead let those who really want the car purchase it. Tesla should really be strict about this unless it's a really unique situation in my opinion.

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_3_reservation_agreement.pdf
4. Acknowledgements; Non-Transferable
You understand that we will not hold your Reservation Payment separately or in an escrow or trust fund or pay any interest on your Reservation Payment. Your Reservation is not transferable or assignable to another party without the prior written approval of Tesla.
The title of the section and the body content are in conflict. Hence the variety of answers you'll get on TMC.

The phrasing of the section title should have been something like "Transferable with written approval". Obvious for even for "engineer English" (vs. "lawyer English") speakers like myself.

Reactions: gabeincal
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_3_reservation_agreement.pdf

The title of the section and the body content are in conflict. Hence the variety of answers you'll get on TMC.

The phrasing of the section title should have been something like "Transferable with written approval". Obvious for even for "engineer English" (vs. "lawyer English") speakers like myself.

I suspect the heading is meant to convey reality -- reservations are generally non-transferable with rare exceptions (or so it seems from everything I have seen on TMC).

That would seem to be a very easy way around a transfer restriction. The only thing Tesla could do might be to require the credit card account name used for the rez to be the same as that used for the order and delivery.

I'm still curious about this option. When I leased my model S last year, I put down three model 3 deposits down, intending one to be for my adult daughter and expecting that she could just purchase the car using my reservation. It soon became apparent that it wouldn't be that simple. Wondering if she would have to be the primary 'contact' or just the secondary and change the CC info and possibly the rest of the contact info. Would like to avoid the hassle of purchasing the car and then reselling it.

I'm still curious about this option. When I leased my model S last year, I put down three model 3 deposits down, intending one to be for my adult daughter and expecting that she could just purchase the car using my reservation. It soon became apparent that it wouldn't be that simple. Wondering if she would have to be the primary 'contact' or just the secondary and change the CC info and possibly the rest of the contact info. Would like to avoid the hassle of purchasing the car and then reselling it.

I would suspect you'll be able to register the car to whomever you want. In particular, I can't imagine they would try to stop you from using your reservation to buy a car for a family member. And I believe it's very likely they will allow the payment to come from somebody else.