Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

travel to London, charge while parked.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have read some of the other threads about parking and charging in London, however I am after a simple solution that will allow me to drive in to London from Cheltenham, park my M3 somewhere close to the museums in South Kensington and pick it up in the late afternoon fully charged for the drive home.

Is there such a solution, please?

I have read some of the other threads about parking and charging in London, however I am after a simple solution that will allow me to drive in to London from Cheltenham, park my M3 somewhere close to the museums in South Kensington and pick it up in the late afternoon fully charged for the drive home.

Is there such a solution, please?
I looked at something similar last year and came to the conclusion that I was better off supercharging. I used parkbee ( similar to justpark) to prebook a space and the carparks with chargers were expensive so I just went with the best value and supercharged on the journey.
recommend prebooking though either way

there are a number of source london points nearby where the expensive per minute charging includes parking, ive used these for that purpose ( I have membership which reduces the cost to about 29p/kwh on the 7kw ones) you can only book them within 40mins of a stay so need a backup plan, I've never had a problem finding one, but perhaps things are busier now.

The appeal of driving with my family at a time to suit us to central London without congestion charges etc. is quite a pull.

Congestion charging is still payable during the day unless previously registered as exempt - a process that still costs.

Reactions: Andrew_SE23
Thanks for the information. Yes, it would be too much to ask for automatic number-plate recognition and a lookup table of pure electric vehicles. That would employ fewer people.

Mine is a standard range plus, so I would need to charge.

It would be nice to have managed parking and charging in central London for a modest cost. But it seems we don't have that yet.

Thanks for all the replies.

The answer really already exists in the form of Source London. Yes, it’s expensive but the spots tend to be in premium locations and it is no more expensive than parking would be anyway.

I don’t think I’ve ever gone anywhere in central London that isn’t within 5 mins of a Source spot.

The cost and availability of London parking these days makes me feel really old. (Bug**r. I am!)
I worked near Regents Park in the 70’s and parked all day for free in the outer circle.
i expect that these days, by 9am you wouldn’t find a space anyway.!

Personally, I'd just focus on getting the right parking for you without worrying about a charge. As I'm sure you know, there is no such thing as modest cost parking, especially in west London..

Depending on the way you are planning to go, I'd also suggest the supercharging route. I have an LR, but I think an SR+ will still be more than fine with getting to south Ken via Oxford A40/M40. On the way back, you can stop at the Park Royal supercharger and top up quickly at the 250kw stands and be on your way home. You'll also go by it on the way down if you are desperate, but its a pain to get to as you have to pass the location, sit at a long light to cross the central reservation, charge, and then drive away from London to turn around at a roundabout again..

Reactions: Jason71 and Tonyf
Congestion charging is still payable during the day unless previously registered as exempt - a process that still costs.

Congestion charge zone doesn't extend as far west as South Ken

Reactions: Neilio
Probably the only practical solution these days - or at least drive from home to a railway station nearer London and do the rest from there.
The days of London being car and visitor friendly are gone. I never liked mixing with the hoi polloi even before Covid...
this is what I generally do. Park at one of the outer tube stations. plenty of spaces generally and am always amazed how cheap the parking is on a weekend. I'm sure I've done the whole weekend before now for under a £10. Of course the tube ride in from there for the whole family kind of makes up for it!

Normally I go to London quite a lot for football matches. We used to drive to them but in recent years we’ve tended to park up and get a tube or train in. We only drive to one or two grounds now.

Although I’ve not been to any since I got the M3, I’ve been planning trips to see what I would do. We normally stop on the way down for a brew and a comfort break, so I’d be looking to stop 2/3 of the way down for a 200 mile round trip and charge up then. I’d probably repeat it on the way back.

I’ve looked at charging whilst I’m parked, especially in station car parks, but I’d probably give this a miss as it’s a lot more unpredictable to plan.