Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Traveling by Supercharger can be more expensive than ICE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bikes don't do so well in the snow and ice. They also don't allow taking equipment to and from work.
Hm..
F983179E-D458-451D-A19B-EA2A5C6FA51A.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: SSonnentag
I thought Tesla said they wouldn’t make the superchargers a profit center? After paying $14.56 for driving 140 miles from home charger to Supercharger and topping off, I realized it would have been cheaper to drive my pickup. At the current cost of fuel which is $2.25 per gallon here this equates to an ICE getting 21.5mpg. Not too impressive. A regular car comparable to a Model 3 would easily get 30mpg, probably more like 35-40mpg.

Are the supercharger rates here in Montana just excessively high, or is that the normal across the nation.
Makes me really miss free supercharging....
as someone with grandfathered free supercharging I can't address the cost of charging, where supercharging got very expensive for me is when my wife joins me on a trip and I stop for a charge she hits the stores and buys all sorts of stuff. her shopping is far more costly than filling a car with fuel every few hours.

Which, in Tesla’s case, is significantly less expensive than paying by the kWh.

Because they are taking the lost cause they know that paying by the minute in a case where charging is slow is a big ripoff. You should see how much Electrify America and EVgo charge people. It's highway robbery.

I can say that Tesla is not trying to make money from the Supercharger Network. In Norway, they are actually trying to charge people $0.09/KWh at certain times to entice people to charge at off peak hours. This will probably come to the US if it is successful.

Last edited:
I can say that Tesla is not trying to make money from the Supercharger Network. In Norway, they are actually trying to charge people $0.09/KWh at certain times to entice people to charge at off peak hours. This will probably come to the US if it is successful.

Tesla is already implementing time of use rates at some locations here in the US. My local supercharger is one of those locations, at $0.18 off peak and somewhere in the $0.30s peak. I’ve seen similar in California and a few other states.

Lately, the average national price seems to be around $0.28/kWh (anecdotal observation from my own experiences).

Tesla is already implementing time of use rates at some locations here in the US. My local supercharger is one of those locations, at $0.18 off peak and somewhere in the $0.30s peak. I’ve seen similar in California and a few other states.

Lately, the average national price seems to be around $0.28/kWh (anecdotal observation from my own experiences).

I've just had a scroll through my Supercharging history. The most I've paid was $0.30/kWh in DC. The least was $0.14/kWh in Springfield, VA. That was 50kWh at 10:30AM last year. Typically seems like low to mid $0.20s.

In the states where they charge by the minute I'm showing Tier 1 as low as $0.11/min, for just a handful of minutes ... And Tier 2 upwards of $0.25/min.

Was just perusing my charges. Discovered recently that every S/C session from Day 1 was available, even the original freebies.

A recent session at Lindale...
Power Tier 1 16 min @ $0.11/min $1.76
Power Tier 2 15 min @ $0.22/min $3.30
Tax included
$0.39

So what is the difference in the Tiers? (Yes, I know, one is twice the price of the other...). When does Tier 2 kick in?

Was just perusing my charges. Discovered recently that every S/C session from Day 1 was available, even the original freebies.

A recent session at Lindale...
Power Tier 1 16 min @ $0.11/min $1.76
Power Tier 2 15 min @ $0.22/min $3.30
Tax included
$0.39

So what is the difference in the Tiers? (Yes, I know, one is twice the price of the other...). When does Tier 2 kick in?

I'm pretty sure the crossover point is 60 kW.

Correct!

Supercharging

It's to "hopefully" make it more fair for the time/cost based on kWh delivered during that period. They could get more specific but there's also the issue of overcomplicating it.

$/min is used when the state requires a company to be a utility provider in order to sell by $/kWh. I believe Kansas and Tennessee are two examples? Arkansas used to be but now allows Tesla (and others) to sell by kWh. I literally JUST read this in our AR EV group on Facebook.

152022410_10107177510917792_8993968704886395224_n.jpg

Reactions: HelixSpiral
SSonnentag said:

Loudmusic concurs.

/ Scheming Cheap Old Man Mode enabled

I've noticed I get a separate bill each time I plug in.
Recently I unplugged and moved to another spout after a few minutes, as it was really s l o o o w. Got a bill for $0.90, then a bill for the rest of the charge...
Ergo, looks like I could consume <60KW, unplug, then
plug in and restart the clock at the lower rate? Might have to move to another spout. Hmmm...
<rubs hands together>
Time for some testing and firkytootling!
-- After all this white crap goes away.

/ Scheming Cheap Old Man Mode disabled

• Funny
Reactions: KenC and AdamMacDon
Tesla automagically puts the charges in their correct charging speed buckets

NM used to be per minute. It changed in 2020
Back then Supercharging was almost as cheap as home charging via the grid

I'm looking forward to my PV (finally!!) getting installed this spring. Then 90% of my EV charging will cost ~ 0.2 cents a mile
You read that right

SSonnentag said:

Loudmusic concurs.

I've noticed I get a separate bill each time I plug in.
Recently I unplugged and moved to another spout after a few minutes, as it was really s l o o o w. Got a bill for $0.90, then a bill for the rest of the charge...
Ergo, looks like I could consume <60KW, unplug, then
plug in and restart the clock at the lower rate? Might have to move to another spout. Hmmm...
<rubs hands together>
Time for some testing and firkytootling!
-- After all this white crap goes away.

It's kW not kWh. That's speed of charge, not capacity. The charge speed is based on the state of charge of the car's battery. If charging by the minute, you have to sit longer as the charge rate slows down. This is why they reduce the price per minute when the charge rate falls below 60kW.

Reactions: Big Earl
It's kW not kWh. That's speed of charge, not capacity. The charge speed is based on the state of charge of the car's battery. If charging by the minute, you have to sit longer as the charge rate slows down. This is why they reduce the price per minute when the charge rate falls below 60kW.

Duhhh. That's embarrassing. I knew that.

Note to self: No posting after 3 Margaritas and a shooter.

Note to self: No posting after 3 Margaritas and a shooter.

Whats the fun of that.

OK at $6.50 per gallon here, Just savings on gas ($5K a year) I payed off
my 10kwp solar system in two years. On top of that I get $1K for the extra juice I
generate. I can afford $15 in supper duper charging. Yep I know I am comparing
Jack to coke but there better together. At 15kwp I break even for all my juice.