Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trips Beyond a Range Charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So here is an interesting question -- what is the optimal speed to drive the car at on long trips?

Your assumption that your optimal speed is dependent on the next charger's power is right on. We had a thread about this in pre-Model S days, you might search for it. It's pretty straightforward to turn Tesla's speed/range graph into a spreadsheet in 5 MPH increments and then do the math. It gets harder when you're trying to figure out which of the various charger options along the route you should choose, and there's some other variables like charging while mostly discharged is faster than topping off, etc.

But, in general I think your "drive as fast as the next charger charges" is a good rule of thumb. Unfortunately, that really limits your speed unless you have access to the few 70+ amp J1772 chargers or Superchargers.

So here is an interesting question -- what is the optimal speed to drive the car at on long trips? The idea is to minimize the door-to-door time. Obviously if you drive faster, you can spend more time on the charger, so there must be some tradeoff. If the trip ends after the final recharge cycle at your destination (which isn't normally what most people would consider the end of the trip), and chargers are available anywhere you want (you don't need to worry about stretching a long leg between two chargers), then I believe the optimal speed is the one where the power use during the drive is equal to the power provided by the next charger. This is interesting, because the faster the charger, the faster you should drive! If you know the kWh of your next charger, set the cruise control on level group until the power meter is showing the power provided by the charger. An 80A charger is probably well over the posted speed limit!

Ken

You may be right in proposing that rule of thumb, Ken.

This is an almost exact analog to the question of how to optimize the achieved cross-country speed when flying a glider: in classic thermal soaring, the glider descends while making forward progress over the ground and then stops and circles to climb when it encounters a thermal (rising air). Turns out that the optimum speed to fly in the cruising portion of the flight is simply the speed which minimizes the time required to reach the top of the next thermal. Clearly, the stronger the next thermal is the faster you should fly, in order to get to it sooner, accepting the penalty in extra altitude lost because you'll make it up by climbing faster when you get there. Trouble is, you never really know the strength of that next thermal or where you're going to find it, so it's a lot of guesswork. (Whereas in an EV you should have a very good idea where your next charge is located and what the rate of charge will be. Don't leave home without a plan!)

In an EV, the same rule, restated, is this: the optimum speed to drive is the speed which minimizes the time required to reach the desired state of charge at the end of your next recharge stop. The higher the charge rate, the faster you can drive (and should, to minimize total time en route). It's worth noting that driving 10% slower than optimum costs you less time overall than driving 10% faster than optimum.

Perhaps counterintuitively, in a glider faced with a headwind or flying through sinking air, you need to increase your cruise speed, because even though you descend at a steeper angle through the air you will spend less time in the adverse condition and achieve a better glide angle over the ground. An EV in a headwind has a very different problem (with wheels on the ground to provide motive force, a headwind does not directly affect your speed, it just affects the current draw required to maintain that speed), but my engineer's gut tells me that it's backwards from the glider case: optimum speed in an EV rises with an increasing tailwind (but the increase is always less than the speed of the tailwind) and diminishes (slowly) with a headwind.

Useful rules of thumb:

1. If you plan a multi-leg trip utilizing chargers of differing rates, then:
a) if the charger you're at has a higher rate of charge than the next charger you'll encounter, leave for the next charger only when the charge rate tapers off to the rated charge rate of the next location;
b) if the charger you're at has a lower rate of charge than the next charger, leave as soon as you have sufficient range to make it to the next charger (plus your personal minimum reserves).

2. If the charger you're at has the same charge rate as the next one, you may head out at any time after you have sufficient range, but in any case as soon the charge rate starts to taper off.

3. If you're charging at the last location before an extended stop, leave for your destination as soon as you have sufficient range (plus reserves). Of course, this only holds if you can get a full charge during your planned extended stop: otherwise, see the rules above.

I'll have to see if I can noodle through the math behind all these claims and quantify things. Charts and tables, anyone?

Last edited:
It gets complicated, but I think stevezzz rules of thumb pretty much cover it - that's how I plan my drives.

Another way of looking at it, don't drive faster in mph than you can charge in mph.

For NEMA 14-50 outlets at RV parks, that's 30 miles of range an hour, right? This is why the Superchargers will be so critical for travel.

Theory versus Reality

Another way of looking at it, don't drive faster in mph than you can charge in mph.

In theory you are right - but - try driving 30mph (40amp charge rate) or even 50mph (70amp charge rate) on the interstate! Illegal and unbelievably dangerous.

While I almost never require a charge - I've done plenty of trips that "stretch" the battery capacity. I find driving ~60mph with top on, windows closed or partially open, on a zero net elevation gain trip can get me actual miles greater than Ideal Miles. A recent trip was 199 actual with 41 Ideal Miles left in Range Mode.

In theory you are right - but - try driving 30mph (40amp charge rate) or even 50mph (70amp charge rate) on the interstate! Illegal and unbelievably dangerous.

While I almost never require a charge - I've done plenty of trips that "stretch" the battery capacity. I find driving ~60mph with top on, windows closed or partially open, on a zero net elevation gain trip can get me actual miles greater than Ideal Miles. A recent trip was 199 actual with 41 Ideal Miles left in Range Mode.

I drove 58 mph in a 70mph zone just so I could make it the 200 miles in the Roadster. Definitely not fun and something I won't do again. I stopped at an RV park on the way back just so I could drive 65mph.

Perhaps a better statement of the "equal time" rule would be an "equal power" rule: use kWh, rather than mph. For example, suppose you can achieve 308 wh/mile while driving at 65 mph. Thus, you are using 20 kWh/hour. With the twin charger, you can match that rate at a HPWC. If a nice tailwind drops your power per mile, you can drive faster, while in a headwind, you need to drive slower.

Minimum speed limits are typically 20 MPH below the Maximum posted limit, so 50 MPH on a 65 MPH Interstate is perfectly legal. Dangerous? Well if you stay to the right you're probably no worse than many 18-wheelers going up a hill.

I drove 58 mph in a 70mph zone just so I could make it the 200 miles in the Roadster. Definitely not fun and something I won't do again. I stopped at an RV park on the way back just so I could drive 65mph.

I seldom drive on the interstate. The state highways are much more interesting and whether it takes you eight or twelve hours to reach your destination, it basically takes a day so the travel time difference is effectively zero.