Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tritium asks Qld government for up to $90m bailout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ah thanks, the starting cash position was $120m post IPO and redemptions.
What did Decarbonisation know that the rest didnt?
Think it was more the SPAC investors who redeemed.. which generally means they thought the effective price paid for Tritium was too high (proven right).

And as at 30 June 2023..
The Company also maintained cash and cash equivalents of approximately $29 million at June 30, 2023, compared to $71 million for the same timeframe in the previous year. The Company maintained approximately 160 million common shares outstanding and total borrowings of $195 million at June 30, 2023, of which $127 million consisted external borrowings and $68 million consisted of related party borrowings from shareholders.
It did however have a large amount of inventory
Tritium has inventory assets valued at $140 million at June 30, 2023, comprised of finished goods, raw materials, and work-in-progress
It did however report a slightly positive gross margin for the six months to June 2023, albeit still a long way from profitability.

I wonder what will happen to the servicing of all the Tritium chargers if they go belly up.
Some would get swapped out promptly with other hardware from more reputable vendors. Kempower. Ingeteam. Whoever can get supply and parts into the country promptly.

The working parts from the removed units would get scavenged to keep the remaining Tritium units running until they can all be replaced too.

Remember that once you have the site lease sorted, council sorted, grid sorted, the hardware is trivial to replace.

And more importantly, the debacle was repeatedly blamed on external suppliers supply chain issues. Much of those units are just cobbled together parts from elsewhere. It a network or service provider goes to the source, problem solved!

Reactions: Sir Surfalot
With the rate of cash burn the entire thing is at risk. The Qld factory argument is just an attempt to access funds from the govt.
wonder what will happen to the servicing of all the Tritium chargers if they go belly up.
Would certainly not be good for charging infrastructure in Australia.

Remember most of the networks were part Govt funded and I suspect at best breakeven. They simply don't have the $$s to fund a wholesale replacement of machines. We'd either see growth curtailed for a while or machines left broken for a long time - neither good for drivers.

And at least from the Euro and US experience Tritiums reliability seems better than most.

Tesla Bjorn and OutofSpec in Europe are often seen using Ionity machines (which are mostly Tritium units in a custom form factor).

And in the US Electrify America has had to replace almost all cycle 1/2 machines (made by ABB, BTC Power, Efacec and Signet) which were installed in 2018-20. About the same time as NRMA and Yurika started rolling out Tritium RT50s some of which are still working (others have been poor).

Worst case would be for Tritium to fail and in a couple of years to realise that the replacements are not much better in Australian conditions.

Reactions: dronus and B3AU
Yeah I think people are forgetting that the Chargefox ABB units and the various 25kW Delta units have been pretty unreliable too. I strongly suspect the maintenance arrangements of the owners are the biggest factor no matter what the brand. Even Superchargers fail, they just seem to get onto it pretty quickly.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lachlan Smith
I strongly suspect the maintenance arrangements of the owners are the biggest factor no matter what the brand.

3 factors I think:

1) Maintenance arrangements, and availability of trained technicians
2) Manufacturer's supply of spare parts
3) How failure prone are the units

Tritium does poorly on 2 and 3. Most of us are aware of tritium chargers that have at times been offline for months awaiting parts.

Even 1 is somewhat within their control, in terms of training 3rd party technicians on how to repair their equipment.

Even Superchargers fail, they just seem to get onto it pretty quickly.

They fail rarely from what I've seen and are handled like critical infrastructure when they do.