Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Truck bed Suggestion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve read several sources criticize the difficulty of reaching items toward the front of the truck bed because of the height of the wings. You would normally reach those things from the side of the truck.

What do you think of addressing this by providing a slide-out truck bed rather than a fixed one that would bring those items further back where the wings are not as tall and therefore reachable from the side?

I’ve read several sources criticize the difficulty of reaching items toward the front of the truck bed because of the height of the wings. You would normally reach those things from the side of the truck.

What do you think of addressing this by providing a slide-out truck bed rather than a fixed one that would bring those items further back where the wings are not as tall and therefore reachable from the side?
instead of climbing into the cybertruck, robot arms could extend out, pick us up, and place us in the driver seat. This is a good idea

Many companies make all kinds of slide out drawers and trays for pickup beds. For example: BEDSLIDE truck bed sliding drawer systems

Too me, they seem awkward to use. In many parking situations, you may not have room to even open the tailgate, much less slide out a big drawer. Say in your garage where the truck barely fits, you need to grab the kid's basketball bag and shoes that were tossed back there because hauling sweaty teenager athletic funk back in the cargo area keeps the interior a lot fresher.

In a normal truck, that front corner of the bed closest to the driver's door is such a convenient spot to carry stuff. The issue is not a deal-breaker, but it will annoy me and make me think of my CT as being less than the perfect design it could have been (for how I will use it).

I seem to be the deep minority here on this topic. I suspect part of it is the majority of people here have never owned an actual pickup truck. Another source of strong opinions seems to be the beliefs that the side sails are necessary for structure. Also, I see the large majority of pickup trucks these days driving around with tonneau covers on them which is similar in terms of the loss of convenience. So statistically, Tesla has made the right choice in favoring aerodynamics (for range) over convenience of access to the cargo bed. Its just not the choice I want.

• Funny
Reactions: Electruck
Bed tray would work fine. It really depends what you put in there, if you want to keep it, and how organised you are. A conveyer would solve the draw space issue as well, I'm not sure what you need to take out in a parking lot, normally you put stuff in to go to a job. I think the frunk and sail storage well be fine for the smaller gear and tools, and the tray should mostly be used for materials. I typically only run drawers, and/or bedslides to keep things organised.

My 2015 F150 has a step. My Cybertrk will have a ramp to walk up or drive up.View attachment 485760

IMG_6499.jpeg
screen-shot-2019-11-21-at-11-38-49-pm-1574398157.png

Last edited:
I suspect part of it is the majority of people here have never owned an actual pickup truck. Another source of strong opinions seems to be the beliefs that the side sails are necessary for structure. Also, I see the large majority of pickup trucks these days driving around with tonneau covers on them which is similar in terms of the loss of convenience. So statistically, Tesla has made the right choice in favoring aerodynamics (for range) over convenience of access to the cargo bed. Its just not the choice I want.
That describes me perfectly, but I still want the truck despite never having owned one. I'm sure I will have a few gripes about the vehicle once I have used it for a while. Although doesn't the truck have a small cargo area under the bed? If so I could put my soon-to-be teenager's stinky athletic funk in there.

Reactions: QUBO
That describes me perfectly, but I still want the truck despite never having owned one. I'm sure I will have a few gripes about the vehicle once I have used it for a while. Although doesn't the truck have a small cargo area under the bed? If so I could put my soon-to-be teenager's stinky athletic funk in there.

To be sure, what I am talking about is not world-ending inconvenient with the CT, just slightly annoying. Similar to any truck with a cover, just walk to the back, crack open the tailgate or the roll top and toss stuff in and out from the back. No worse than an SUV.

The inconvenience happens when that one thing you need (e.g. the basketball) has rolled or slid to the front during driving and you can't reach it. Then you have to open it all the way up and climb in to retrieve it.

My dad had a cover on his truck and kept a boat pole/hook in the back for retrieving things.

• Funny
Reactions: Electruck and QUBO
To be sure, what I am talking about is not world-ending inconvenient with the CT, just slightly annoying. Similar to any truck with a cover, just walk to the back, crack open the tailgate or the roll top and toss stuff in and out from the back. No worse than an SUV.

The inconvenience happens when that one thing you need (e.g. the basketball) has rolled or slid to the front during driving and you can't reach it. Then you have to open it all the way up and climb in to retrieve it.

My dad had a cover on his truck and kept a boat pole/hook in the back for retrieving things.
Note to self: get boat hook on the way back from the CT delivery.

• Funny
Many companies make all kinds of slide out drawers and trays for pickup beds. For example: BEDSLIDE truck bed sliding drawer systems

Too me, they seem awkward to use. In many parking situations, you may not have room to even open the tailgate, much less slide out a big drawer. Say in your garage where the truck barely fits, you need to grab the kid's basketball bag and shoes that were tossed back there because hauling sweaty teenager athletic funk back in the cargo area keeps the interior a lot fresher.

In a normal truck, that front corner of the bed closest to the driver's door is such a convenient spot to carry stuff. The issue is not a deal-breaker, but it will annoy me and make me think of my CT as being less than the perfect design it could have been (for how I will use it).

I seem to be the deep minority here on this topic. I suspect part of it is the majority of people here have never owned an actual pickup truck. Another source of strong opinions seems to be the beliefs that the side sails are necessary for structure. Also, I see the large majority of pickup trucks these days driving around with tonneau covers on them which is similar in terms of the loss of convenience. So statistically, Tesla has made the right choice in favoring aerodynamics (for range) over convenience of access to the cargo bed. Its just not the choice I want.

I feel the same way. That said, if the "saddle bags" on the truck are roomy they will probably meet my needs.

have-you-noticed-that-the-tesla-cybertruck-has-sail-pillar-storages.jpg

Last edited:
This is a big jump for a non truck owner.
1. they are big
2. can't park in tight spots, best to park at the end of rows or farther away
3. backing in is the best way to park, do not pull in with a truck
4. you can't cut corners. you CAN'T cut corners!
5. Go to an empty lot and practice backing up into spots. without using cameras. maneuver backwards while looking over your shoulder out the rear window. re-wire your brain for knowing how large the vehicle is
minutephysics-reverse.jpg

No that's not me
6. They are wide

1. they are big
2. can't park in tight spots, best to park at the end of rows or farther away
3. backing in is the best way to park, do not pull in with a truck
5. Go to an empty lot and practice backing up into spots. without using cameras. maneuver backwards while looking over your shoulder out the rear window. re-wire your brain for knowing how large the vehicle is
I only wish people here were as considerate as you. Here they park nose in in the spots marked 'compact cars only'

External tailgate Handle and a Remote key fob to open cover and lower tailgate
Wasn't that long ago some of us truck owners (not me) thought tailgate steps and auto opening gates were sissy luxury items.

now we all use them and like em.
They have auto opening covers now. I wouldn't want one. retract covers are loud when driving, they tend to drop water and snow on your contents, and they leak. all covers leak, but retract covers leeaaakkkkk.

Why not use the Sail Pillar to for that purpose? Its already in the design of the vehicle.
have-you-noticed-that-the-tesla-cybertruck-has-sail-pillar-storages.jpg