Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

True Story or Not?: "Frunk opened at 115mph and caused $20k damage on brand new P85"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All hell is raining down on that driver today. I reported him to the Hayward office of the CHP this morning when I first read this thread. I provided an officer on duty with a link to the thread, who said he would contact the poster regarding his behavior. Unfortunately, CHP can only cite someone based upon observed behavior, but he said there is sufficient information here to have a conversation with that driver. I don't know if CHP ever did contact him, but if they did that might explain why he started editing his thread.

I don't know why you would do this. Clearly the kids is telling tall tales, I don't see why the police have anything to do with a kid who didn't do pretty well anything he said. It's none of their business really, he's been made to feel stupid, and that's enough.

I don't know why you would do this. Clearly the kids is telling tall tales, I don't see why the police have anything to do with a kid who didn't do pretty well anything he said. It's none of their business really, he's been made to feel stupid, and that's enough.

Agreed. And even if he told the truth, so? OK he sped like a maniac on the highway. Unsure the point of calling the police on him after the fact would accomplish.

That has bothered me since the first time I opened my frunk. Every car I have owned when the hood was released it only released the first latch. The second latch had to be manually released to finish opening the hood. The Tesla appears to have a two stage latch since I hear two separate clicks when I close the frunk. When I open the frunk with the fob both latches are released. I wonder how this got by the NHTSA.

There's a lockout feature in the software that requires that the car be in Park to open the frunk. When using the cable-operated backup release from inside the car, there is a dual latch like on a conventional car.

I suspect that what may have happened here is that the frunk was not fully latched before he headed out on his drive.

UPDATE

I stand corrected.
I assumed that Tesla incorporated an out-of-park lockout on the frunk release, but they didn't. Even the remote will open it while the car is in Drive, but not moving. Perhaps there is a speed threshold lockout, but I'm not going to be the guy who finds out.

This was an oversight on Tesla's part, and an easy thing to fix. I would not be surprised if we see it in the next update.

Of particular concern here is the scenario where a child starts fiddling with the fob while the car is in motion.

Last edited:
All hell is raining down on that driver today. I reported him to the Hayward office of the CHP this morning when I first read this thread. I provided an officer on duty with a link to the thread, who said he would contact the poster regarding his behavior. Unfortunately, CHP can only cite someone based upon observed behavior, but he said there is sufficient information here to have a conversation with that driver. I don't know if CHP ever did contact him, but if they did that might explain why he started editing his thread.

If CHP contacted Tesla they might be able to provide logs and gps coordinates as proof.

There's a lockout feature in the software that requires that the car be in Park to open the frunk. When using the cable-operated backup release from inside the car, there is a dual latch like on a conventional car.

I suspect that what may have happened here is that the frunk was not fully latched before he headed out on his drive.

I tried to partially close the frunk to see how the car behaves. With one of the two latches engaged the car still sends audible and visual warnings that can't be unknowingly ignored.

I moderate PriusChat. I've taken the thread down (after allowing the kid to dig his hole a bit deeper) and banned him for a month. Mostly took the thread down to keep any negative press from taking it out of context.

@efusco, thanks for handling that on priuschat. That story smelled like BS from the beginning. No point in having some dubious blogger pick up a bogus story and have lies about the Model S frunk latches "failing" flying around the Internet.

FWIW I came across that thread due to a news alert that came up on my Bloomberg Terminal that I have set to alert me on anything related to Tesla. If you're unfamiliar with what that is, this is the software that all the professional financial trader's use at the big name firms for real time data news and analytics. While the media may not have picked it up, any firm that trades TSLA sure as hell saw it.

Did anyone get a picture of the alleged damage?

I saw them before the post was removed. There was an extreme close-up of a dent in the body by the windshield where the edge of the frunk is closest to the windshield and side quarter panel. It was a significant dent in terms of depth, no tearing and not very big of a surface area.

If the hood opened at 115, 80 or 65mph, I would expect the hood to be torn off.

He also commented how he could simply buy off Tesla (I forget the subject), and how impressed they were with his money.
He started off with a thread title using the phrase "my Tesla".

IMO the kid is a braggart, and he made the whole thing up.

cached from google (FYI PEOPLE: ONCE YOU PUT STUFF ON THE NET IT NEVER GOES AWAY!!! [well, for the most part at least, you should just assume it'll be avail forever]), I think this was the original post. doesn't have the photos though:

priuschat01.png

priuschat02.png

priuschat03.png

Any weird stories I hear about Tesla Motors products --- within a week or two before / after earnings releases --- I assume are set-ups by shorts or animals with no morals.

Feb 13, 2014 --- Another Tesla Caught On Fire While Sitting In A Toronto Garage This Month - Yahoo Finance

A plea to responsible, mature adults:

Use your head and think about incentives. Is there an incentive for someone, within a week of an earnings release, to spew lies? YES.

Be very, very cautious of those who seek to benefit from your demise.

He's 17, apparently very wealthy, thinks he's invincible, and accepts no consequences for his actions. He's just really lucky nobody was injured in whatever happened.

His daddy will likely bail him out of any financial responsibility, he won't get any criminal record because he's under 18 and the cops didn't witness anything. He'll likely walk away from this no different than he did going in, and in his mind, will ascribe fault with Tesla or someone else.

He'll probably get his Tesla in a few months, and I'd guess at some point, end up like this guy and his 4 friends:

Flying BMW Crashes and Kills Occupants, Darwin Wins

Serves him bloody well right for driving in such a ridiculously dangerous and unsociable manner! He is giving Tesla and Tesla owners a bad name with his moronic behaviour.

+1 on serves him right

I don't think he gives Tesla or Tesla owners a bad name though - he was just a Tesla-Wannabe-Owner, I doubt he'll ever want to think about Teslas again after he finds out what happens next. I can't imagine insurance is going to cover that damage once the logs are analyzed. I doubt his dad will be pleased with the financial impact or the implications of having his son's arrogance and stupidity exposed on the internet - great PR for his shop! But for Tesla, I'm sure they'll handle this in as professional, gracious and efficient way possible (just like the lemon jerk) and end up looking fine.

And @efusco - good moderation judgment on volunteering all versions to Tesla and taking it down. I also only read part of it but the best part was Zythryn's (and the other Tesla poster who I didn't recognize) even-handed, clear-minded responses that pulled the rest of the story out and called BS after he tripped on his own lies.

Please change the title of this thread to --- "Another Liar Attempts to Libel Tesla Motors Within One Week Of Earnings Release"

Isn't this just a little far-fetched? If he really wanted to libel Tesla Motors, why would he post his story in a Prius forum, where he is a regular poster, and say, not here on TMC or the TM forums?

I have no doubt that *something* happened to the Tesla he was driving -- there's plenty of proof that he is who is claims to be (and underage), and that Tesla gave him a car to drive, and he drove the car and wrecked the car. Just because he spins an obviously tall tale about the frunk opening up at 115mph doesn't mean he's out to manipulate the stock just because it's a week before earnings. This sounds like a perfect example of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam's_razor

"when you have two competing theories that make exactly the same predictions, the simpler one is the better."

Did anyone get a picture of the alleged damage?
Abdullah posted just 2 photos of the alleged damage, neither of which are very telling.
tesla_damage_1.JPG
tesla_damage_2.JPG

*Aside--looking at that second image, doesn't that look like the Tesla logo reflected on the bottom left of the image? As if he's already returned it or was simply photographing a different vehicle at Tesla?