Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trump pulls out of Paris climate deal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
specifics of what?
do you understand how the US government works? no president can enter into any international treaty without the consent of the senate.

I'm not disagreeing with you when it comes to the process and this was not my point. You said:

" if you actually would read what the US would be agreeing to you'd understand the reluctance of our leaders to implement this."

I read the article I linked to and would love to know what you are referring to in your statement above.

...I suggest you read that to yourself a few times.
is that so? how does allowing the world's most polluting economy to continue to pollute at current levels for at least 13 more years while stifling the US and other western country's industrial output fair?
or how is the $100 billion dollars the US would have been obliged to pay in the US's interests.
these are facts, not ill informed and emotional prattling most of you here post.

The consequences of US pulling out of the Paris accord could be disastrous for the planet. There is no reason for India and China to follow through. And if you thought 300 mn people in the US polluting is bad, wait till 1bn starts polluting with conspicuous consumption over the next 100 years. I am hoping at this point that Chinese and Indian leaders demonstrate more maturity than the fake leader of the free world. Here's a good graphic from NYT on the potential impact of US pulling out of Climate change

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/05/31/climate/trump-climate-paris-agreement.html

Side note: I was mostly on the sidelines with regards to climate change. But Trump's thuggery motivated me to dig deep into the science, read up climate papers, NASA research on climate and become a vocal climate advocate. I guess, thank you Trump ? May be this is how he plans to MAGA

North Korea signed the agreement. Hmmm. Rogue state obviously, so Paris Agreement must be really bad! Better to work with Nicaragua and Syria against 196 other countries (hmmm... Nicaragua and Syria were also never allies of the U.S., more to the contrary, but of course President Trump must have the power to change political and military alliances).

More seriously: I'm trying to understand this position of President Trump: what I make out of it is "we'll do our thing, as we want". I think that is a rather 'rogue' message towards the 196 other nations (plus North Korea - but never mind that, there are other more important messages to convey to that country :)), but I am also hopeful it does not mean much in terms of U.S. policy: California (and I suppose also some other U.S. states) seem to me do have done more since the 1970's in respect of emission standards for cars, adoption of EV's, and renewable energy, than any other region/state/country on earth. I trust/hope that whatever President Trump does with the Paris Agreement, he cannot kill California's and other U.S. states' world leading role in that respect!

Last edited:
is that so? how does allowing the world's most polluting economy to continue to pollute at current levels for at least 13 more years while stifling the US and other western country's industrial output fair?
or how is the $100 billion dollars the US would have been obliged to pay in the US's interests.
these are facts, not ill informed and emotional prattling most of you here post.
I agree with you on something. Elections have consequences. The context of that is that people shouldn't be surprised about the direction that is taken after the election. I'm not surprised that Trump will back out of the Paris Agreement. However, it doesn't mean that those who disagree shouldn't vocally dissent; that's a foundational principle of our democracy. One shouldn't use that quote to suggest that people stop discussing or disagreeing with the direction. It is fair to say that they shouldn't be surprised, unless they really weren't paying attention. In which case, that's at their peril.

Regarding the "fairness" of the deal, I'd love to hear about a deal that you deem fair which is also agreeable and ratifiable by the same set of nations. What terms would be agreed upon by that subset and would work towards limiting carbon emissions? These deals aren't tit-for-tat, and I have to assume you know that. Wanting everything to be "fair" is what my kids do. That's what I call an argument poisoned by "flawed emotions."

Given that you defend bailing on the deal because of the inequity built into it, does that mean you assume Trump will renegotiate another deal that will be more "fair" and still reduce emissions on the same trajectory?

My assessment of his administration's actions to date is that they do not like to include environmental externalities into their economic analyses. Those costs become the burden of society at a later date, and it's for the purported benefit of an immediate economic gain. I believe that if one does not account for externalities, they are myopic either purposefully or due to an inability to digest the entire economic life cycle of decisions.

The consequences of US pulling out of the Paris accord could be disastrous for the planet. There is no reason for India and China to follow through. And if you thought 300 mn people in the US polluting is bad, wait till 1bn starts polluting with conspicuous consumption over the next 100 years. I am hoping at this point that Chinese and Indian leaders demonstrate more maturity than the fake leader of the free world. Here's a good graphic from NYT on the potential impact of US pulling out of Climate change

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/05/31/climate/trump-climate-paris-agreement.html

Side note: I was mostly on the sidelines with regards to climate change. But Trump's thuggery motivated me to dig deep into the science, read up climate papers, NASA research on climate and become a vocal climate advocate. I guess, thank you Trump ? May be this is how he plans to MAGA
china and india have no obligation to reduce their levels of pollutants released. your whole post is mindless drivel

I agree with you on something. Elections have consequences. The context of that is that people shouldn't be surprised about the direction that is taken after the election. I'm not surprised that Trump will back out of the Paris Agreement. However, it doesn't mean that those who disagree shouldn't vocally dissent; that's a foundational principle of our democracy. One shouldn't use that quote to suggest that people stop discussing or disagreeing with the direction. It is fair to say that they shouldn't be surprised, unless they really weren't paying attention. In which case, that's at their peril.

Regarding the "fairness" of the deal, I'd love to hear about a deal that you deem fair which is also agreeable and ratifiable by the same set of nations. What terms would be agreed upon by that subset and would work towards limiting carbon emissions? These deals aren't tit-for-tat, and I have to assume you know that. Wanting everything to be "fair" is what my kids do. That's what I call an argument poisoned by "flawed emotions."

Given that you defend bailing on the deal because of the inequity built into it, does that mean you assume Trump will renegotiate another deal that will be more "fair" and still reduce emissions on the same trajectory?

My assessment of his administration's actions to date is that they do not like to include environmental externalities into their economic analyses. Those costs become the burden of society at a later date, and it's for the purported benefit of an immediate economic gain. I believe that if one does not account for externalities, they are myopic either purposefully or due to an inability to digest the entire economic life cycle of decisions.
do you realize that even if the whole accord was implemented and adhered to that the effect on the earth's climate would be negligible? the reports I;ve seem claim that average temps would decrease by .5 to less than 1 degree.
like I stated in my first comment I am not against the intent of the accord but I am against this accord.

do you realize that even if the whole accord was implemented and adhered to that the effect on the earth's climate would be negligible? the reports I;ve seem claim that average temps would decrease by .5 to less than 1 degree.
like I stated in my first comment I am not against the intent of the accord but I am against this accord.

Read and educate yourself about why "just a half degree" matters. https://climate.nasa.gov/news/2458/why-a-half-degree-temperature-rise-is-a-big-deal/

Status
Not open for further replies.