Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trying to figure out which used Model S to buy...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking to purchase my first Tesla... I have thought about the Model 3, and it's really nice, but since it's so new, there are very few used ones available. A new one would cost too much, so I was thinking about a used Model S.

I think I have narrowed it down to a 2016 model S because it's the most recent model that still has unlimited super charging, and is within my budget, but I want to make sure I get one that can do FSD in the future.

I stopped by a Tesla dealership/store today, and was told by the associate that I needed to get one with the HW2.5, which has the newer front, without the oval ring.

Can anyone in here shed some light on this for me? Is hardware v2, 2.5, or newer required for FSD? Can the computer be updated by Tesla for FSD?

Anything else I should consider when purchasing a used Model S?

Thank you.

HW AP2 and 2.5 have a path to FSD according to Elon tweet ;)

If you are looking for free SC and FSD path that leaves u a narrow window for mid 2016 to Jan2017 cars

Not sure what price point you are looking at ..but getting an older S you will also be stuck with an MCU1 the MCU was updated in March 2018 ...

Good luck on your search

Reactions: KJD
...Is hardware v2, 2.5, or newer required for FSD?...

Although Elon Musk said if you bought FSD, you'll get a computer swap to HW3.0 from any hardware from 2.0 and up.

However, contrary to conventional assumption, for used cars: Only HW2.5 are eligible for FSD and no HW2.0 is eligible for FSD. This has been announced before so what you heard is not new:

Was just told that AP 2.0 won't get FSD.

HW2.5 started in Model 3 production since 7/2017

and in Model S and X since 8/23/2017 (some still got HW2.0 for production prior to 8/22/2017.) So, to be sure, I would look at the driver's door sill label with the production month and year starting from September 2017 and later.

...Can the computer be updated by Tesla for FSD?...

Of course, as Elon Musk said any from 2.0 and up!

But he didn't say it's for grandfathered owners only nor did he say it's for used cars also.

It's a generic statement.

When in doubt, consult Tesla's latest policy.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: OPRCE and P85_DA
I've been e-stalking Model S's for a few months, looking at things like price, FSD, and super charging. As the other's have said, it's a rare vehicle that even has the opportunity to be both. Out of 28 used 2016 MS tracked from April to now, and only one had FSD capability. It sold for around 53.2k, in Texas, and it was only a 75, without air suspension, or cold weather package.

If you really want FSD, a 2017 model is probably going to be the easier get (4 out of 22 tracked), but you'll lose the free supercharging. Free super charging is nice, but it may be worth considering just how often would you be using said super charging network?

Reactions: KJD
Although Elon Musk said if you bought FSD, you'll get a computer swap to HW3.0 from any hardware from 2.0 and up.

However, contrary to conventional assumption, for used cars: Only HW2.5 are eligible for FSD and no HW2.0 is eligible for FSD. This has been announced before so what you heard is not new:

Was just told that AP 2.0 won't get FSD.

HW2.5 started in Model 3 production since 7/2017

and in Model S and X since 8/23/2017 (some still got HW2.0 for production prior to 8/22/2017.) So, to be sure, I would look at the driver's door sill label with the production month and year starting from September 2017 and later.

Of course, as Elon Musk said any from 2.0 and up!

But he didn't say it's for grandfathered owners only nor did he say it's for used cars also.

It's a generic statement.

When in doubt, consult Tesla's latest policy.

This is not true. I just checked my AP2.0 cars profile page and I can buy FSD.

Not sure why OP wants FSD though. Based on how Autopilot is these days, it's so far off from reality..

Not sure why OP wants FSD though. Based on how Autopilot is these days, it's so far off from reality..

Because today's Autopilot has only 2 functions:

1) TACC
2) Autosteer within your lane.

But what if a driver wants more, then it's 2019 FSD such as:

3) Autopark
4) Summon, not just short distance summon but 150 foot radius anywhere in a parking lot as shown by youtube.
5) Navigation on Autopilot including Auto Lane Change

...This is not true. I just checked my AP2.0 cars profile page and I can buy FSD...

This thread is not about grandfathered owners.

It's about May 2019 people who want to buy a used car with HW2.0 and beg to pay for FSD!

These people have no cars in their profile page so they cannot click to buy FSD from a blank page!

I'm looking to purchase my first Tesla... I have thought about the Model 3, and it's really nice, but since it's so new, there are very few used ones available. A new one would cost too much, so I was thinking about a used Model S.

I think I have narrowed it down to a 2016 model S because it's the most recent model that still has unlimited super charging, and is within my budget, but I want to make sure I get one that can do FSD in the future.

I stopped by a Tesla dealership/store today, and was told by the associate that I needed to get one with the HW2.5, which has the newer front, without the oval ring.

Can anyone in here shed some light on this for me? Is hardware v2, 2.5, or newer required for FSD? Can the computer be updated by Tesla for FSD?

Thank you.
I don't understand - you are a unlikely to find a new front MS for the 40k (net of tax credit) new M3 premium plus with FSD.
The M3 will have new tires (savings 1k), new intel based MCU, new HW3 FSD computer, new battery-fast charge, no miles or wear. If you hold on another couple weeks you can probably get a deal on a test drive / inventory car and save a few more thousand maybe even free SC. Good luck.

Reactions: OPRCE
See here for a recent similar discussion of pros/cons of MS v M3, particularly regarding safety/design:
Hoping to join the club

TL;DR ... go for the M3 unless you absolutely must have MS for some specific reason.
Like you just like it better. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Back in the day who did you lust for? The nice plain girl next door or the hottie across the street.

Last edited:

Thank you.

If it were me, and budget were an issue, I wouldn't worry so much about FSD. I have HW 2.5. I don't have the latest "summon" but I find that the other 2 signature features - autoparking, and NoA, aren't particularly useful. Autoparking... meh. It works pretty well, but it's slow to the point where I feel a little goofy using it. And NoA is very much a work in progress, and not really usable. In heavy traffic it struggles to change lanes when it needs to because it's too conservative. And in medium traffic, it changes lanes when it shouldn't. For example, it will change to the fast lane to overtake, even when a much faster car is coming up, just out of range of the cameras. I don't see that that will be an easy problem to solve, since the cameras just can't see back back far enough, and the system lacks contextual awareness.

For lane following and ACC, the AP 1.0, in my prior 2014, is every bit as good as it is in my 2018 AP 2.5. Really with a late AP1.0 car, the only thing that I think I would miss is the newer MCU, which is definitely faster and smoother.

I would be looking for the best quality, lowest mileage, best optioned 100D or P100D AP1.0 that I could find. I suspect you can get pretty deals on those right now.

Reactions: Lmurph2