Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Investor Discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If they are crunched for money, they are a lot more likely to go shopping for more cash from Musk or somewhere than to rush the cars. I think they are probably pretty confident about quality of the cars too, but that probably doesn't relate to their cash.

Sorry for the late reply, I've been away and out of touch (on boats, not in prison! :smile:). In fairness, I should have taken more time and separate out capital investments from factory prep expenses and start-up costs and others that are being expensed as R&D. I was being a little too fast trying to make the point that JP's calculations don't add up - they don't by the way! Once he admits that the capEx doesn't impact working capital how come he still thinks that Tesla will run out of liquidity in such a short space of time?

IMO Q2 costs could not have been dangerously higher than Q1 and my worst case estimate is $110m Q2 net income loss versus $90m in Q1; given Tesla's available resources, I don't consider that a problem.

Smorgas+Nigel, I think John is probably overall right about the EV market in general, but with regard to his TSLA numbers he is off. Even if the expenditures are amortized, they will be amortized over their expected useful life, which in this case is basically going to be as long as they are making the cars. Although I think he is correct in suggesting there could be a liquidity probably, but only because of ebbs in demand.

Also, did he take into account the accelerated reservations we've seen over the past month? I'm not sure where that money goes on the balance sheet but it is cash that they can use, and if our reservation tally is to be believed, there's a lot if it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Also, did he take into account the accelerated reservations we've seen over the past month? I'm not sure where that money goes on the balance sheet but it is cash that they can use, and if our reservation tally is to be believed, there's a lot if it.

Where are we at right now with the reservations? I've been wondering how much they've accelerated since the deliveries started.

I wonder how the Model X is doing too. I'm not a big fan of the Model X. The Falcon doors are a little too over the top for me. I hope it's doing well but I wouldn't line up to buy one.

14,000 is an impressive number, but we're already 3 weeks into Q3 so it's probably not going to be the number they will use tomorrow on the earnings call.

No, they will be (and should be) conservative as there will likely also be some people dropping out along the way and they don't want to be accused of overreporting any numbers at this stage.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Reservation deposits on the balance sheet are shown as unrestricted cash on the asset side and as a current liability on the other side; as such it positively affects cash flow but has no impact on working capital calculations. That said, even 500 reservations in the last month x $5k only equals $2.5m (minus credit card fees) so it's pretty small when you look at the big picture.

P.S. Can we cut the Tapatalk signatures pls?....just my personal bugbear.

Reservation deposits on the balance sheet are shown as unrestricted cash on the asset side and as a current liability on the other side; as such it positively affects cash flow but has no impact on working capital calculations. That said, even 500 reservations in the last month x $5k only equals $2.5m (minus credit card fees) so it's pretty small when you look at the big picture.

True, but some of those reservations were surely $40,000 sig reservations for Canada and the EU. Also, I didn't just mean to count the money from the past month. I just meant that based on the acceleration in reservations, it seems there should be a good bit of cash coming in through the rest of the year from that. More than there was this time last year.

P.S. Can we cut the Tapatalk signatures pls?....just my personal bugbear.

I'm not sure. There may be a setting that allows you to remove it. I kinda like it though. Let's you know that I am mobile and could use a little bit more leniency on typos.

True, but some of those reservations were surely $40,000 sig reservations for Canada and the EU. Also, I didn't just mean to count the money from the past month. I just meant that based on the acceleration in reservations, it seems there should be a good bit of cash coming in through the rest of the year from that. More than there was this time last year.

The odd $40k from Canada/EU here and there isn't going to make any difference. I disagree that there should be more money coming in than this time last year. A year ago, Sigs weren't sold out in the U.S. and every one of those coming in was equal to 8 general production reservations today. It could be either way.

P.S. don't worry abut your typo's, we all have them and it's usually easy to spot those ipad/iphone auto corrects as well.

Pathetic.

They can pump it down as much as they want, the rebound will just be greater.
Tesla Motors, Inc. (NASDAQ:TSLA) is expected by Wunderlich to deliver Q3 guidance lower than consensus expectations with its Q2 results on July 25. The firm thinks that Tesla will probably produce fewer cars during Q3 than the Street estimated, and the company states that its test drive for the new Model S suggests that there are a few issues remaining in regards to the interior and the range. Wunderlich keeps its Sell rating and $28 price target on shares of Tesla.
Tesla Production Estimated to SLOW and 4 Fresh Stock Analyses To Note | Wall St. Cheat Sheet

Either Steph is right and they are trying to push the stock price down or they're totally clueless and accepting the production "slow-down" without question.

Fortunately for us, we know that the only reason for this "slow-down" is to run through the punch-list from the Founders and the test drives before starting up the production run. I can't wait to see what they change on the final production cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.