Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Investor Discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
me too- I'm in LEAPS J14 and the bid ask on all TSLA calls is too wide to trade in and out; I will sell the calls, but only to roll them over to J15. Keep enough of those options rolling for the next 5 years to track at 4000 shares or more.
Then I use some straight stock shares to play the swings

Worthless day today- ended up right back where we started

Fellow Teslamotorians - A nice call out from Larry Page on TSLA in Wired:

Page: PARC had a tremendous research organization and they invented many of the tools of modern computing. But they weren’t focused on commercialization. You need both. Take one company I admire, Tesla. They’ve not only made a really innovative car, but they’re probably spending 99 percent of their effort figuring out how to actually get it out to people. When I was growing up, I wanted to be an inventor. Then I realized that there’s a lot of sad stories about inventors like Nikola Tesla, amazing people who didn’t have much impact, because they never turned their inventions into businesses.

Googles Larry Page on Why Moon Shots Matter | Wired Business | Wired.com

Just something to think about to avoid getting into panics like selling and buying based on a bloomberg interview. Ford is a roughly $50 billion dollar company. If TSLA can grow in the next 5 years to 25% of that market valuation - say $12.5 billion, with currently outstanding shares each share would be worth $110. Go long. I mean really long - not 1 week, not 1 day - go 5 years long. Buy and hold at every opportunity unless something catastrophic happens.Time your buys, not your sells with TSLA. Just my $0.02.

That just doesn't make sense to me. If you take profits at opportune times during those 5 years, and then use those profits to buy more at opportune times, you will crush anyone that just blindly held. I don't understand why everyone can agree that you should buy more shares of a stock you love when it is clearly undervalued, but have a hard time accepting that you should sell when the stock is clearly overvalued.

It's the same thing.

It's the same thing.

Not really. An overvalued stock can stay overvalued or even get more overvalued. Or, the stock can catch up to its value (think Amazon). However, an undervalued stock, if the company continues to deliver, will eventually approach fair value.

Buying more of a company you believe in will reward you if you're right about the company. Selling an overvalued company can bite you even if you're right about the company. Timing is hard to do right.

It's like trying to get ahead in heavy freeway traffic. Unless you've got an edge (say an uber-quick and small Roadster), you're typically almost as well off as just picking a good lane and staying in it. Most retail investors don't have the equivalent of a Roadster for trading tools.

Last edited:
Wow. You need to reevaluate your trading strategies. You are going to get eaten alive doing stuff like that. I don't say that to be mean, I just want to convey the seriousness of a move like that. You are lucky to have only lost $1.

My strategis have been successful 19 out of 21 times (90.4% success rate) thus far. I play the spread and as long as short interest remains high I will continue to do so on this stock. The reason I had to buy into rumors of Elon being interview on bloomsberg is because he usually gives very insightful information on those types of interviews which may swing TSLA up or down (you just have to read between the lines). Last big interview he had where the stock dropped about 8% was when he side stepped questions regarding production numbers back during 3rd Q. Since I'm gunning for a short squeeze like many of us, I had to rebuy on rumor of the interview bc I surely didnt want to miss the boat. Since I don't have cable I couldnt confirm on that rumor, just had to buy with blind faith. As for being lucky to lose $1 buck, it was a culculated risk, there's no way TSLA is moving above the high of $38.80 IMO without significant news, I predicted this and posted it on yahoo last week. But in case if it does, I still have thousands of shares bought into 2014 and 2015 call options at $40 strike.... average price bought for TSLA is $27 per share the last 2 years with gains of 30% in December from playing the spread alone. One thing I've learned from this past week with TSLA reaching new highs is that I rather HOLD onto the stock and NOT risk a squeeze than to gain shares on spread and possibly miss the boat-ride. I will HOLD for several months after 1st Q conference since I having a feeling a squeezie is in the horizon sometimes in 2013.

Sound investment strategy...

My strategies have been successful 19 out of 21 times (90.4% success rate) thus far...
.... I had to rebuy on rumor of the interview bc I surely didnt want to miss the boat. Since I don't have cable I couldnt confirm on that rumor, just had to buy with blind faith....

Uh no, it's simply inappropriate to blame a simple post about a possible interview, on your decision to act on it exclusively;
and then conflate that decision into your successful strategic methods to demonstrate its importance to those methods.
I don't think you'll maintain your success rate if you don't change this part of your strategy. In addition, you don't need cable, simply go their website and look at the schedule of guests. If you can read this blog, you can do that; as I did when suspicious of an interview so close to earnings report.

Uh no, it's simply inappropriate to blame a simple post about a possible interview, on your decision to act on it exclusively;
and then conflate that decision into your successful strategic methods to demonstrate its importance to those methods.
I don't think you'll maintain your success rate if you don't change this part of your strategy. In addition, you don't need cable, simply go their website and look at the schedule of guests. If you can read this blog, you can do that; as I did when suspicious of an interview so close to earnings report.

I can careless about losing that $1 to be honest, especially if my record has been successful thus far and I'm not blaming this on anyone but myself. However, if it were me, I would post information that is reliable, I also checked the website and googled the information (not naiive not to) but didnt find anything neither, I thought maybe perhaps the person had some sort of inside information that we weren't aware of, I took the risk and lost on the bet, so what? Its only a buck while my initial investment was $27 a share, which meant I made out with $10 in earnings. But what I'm trying to convey here is SIMPLY post info that you deem reliable since we all read this forum, it would be a complete waste of time to read a bunch of BS, simple as that. The other point that you missed completely was my second message to investors, which is I felt remorsed for selling my shares and picked TSLA back up immediately so I don't miss out on the ride in case there was squeezie. my 90% success rate didnt come by accident, it was carefully thought out meticulously, however, sometimes, the greed of this game gets the better of me. Once in awhile, I need that slap in the face to wake me back up. Don't trip out on my style, its working for me and I wouldnt ever chastise your style if it worked out for you nor would I ever wish any negativity on your investment strategies.....

Welcome to the internet FirstInLife!

This is not a finished product with a reputation you can trust, only fools trust what they read on an internet forum.
Consider this a lesson and you will do well. Alternatively you can feel angry and I suspect you will have many more challenges to come. To each their own path.

-Otmar

Not really. An overvalued stock can stay overvalued or even get more overvalued. Or, the stock can catch up to its value (think Amazon). However, an undervalued stock, if the company continues to deliver, will eventually approach fair value.

Buying more of a company you believe in will reward you if you're right about the company. Selling an overvalued company can bite you even if you're right about the company. Timing is hard to do right.

It's like trying to get ahead in heavy freeway traffic. Unless you've got an edge (say an uber-quick and small Roadster), you're typically almost as well off as just picking a good lane and staying in it. Most retail investors don't have the equivalent of a Roadster for trading tools.

Exactly. Research has show that most people who try and get in and out timing the market end up with smaller gains than if they had just stayed in, because they tend to miss some of the upward movement. I accept it if people say it works for them (the same way I accept it when people say their system wins them money every time they go to Vegas), but it definitely doesn't work for me.

But back up to $33.32. I imagine we'll bounce around in the 32-35 band for a while.

Welcome to the internet FirstInLife!

This is not a finished product with a reputation you can trust, only fools trust what they read on an internet forum.
Consider this a lesson and you will do well. Alternatively you can feel angry and I suspect you will have many more challenges to come. To each their own path.

-Otmar

I agree and seldomly do I trust anyone. I research as much as I can before making a move; however there will be times where Ill act on instinct bc these are critical times if you want to make $$ on tesla, the swings are more volitile now then ever. Don't assume that I'm angry for the lose, which is far from the truth. I love this stock and the gains it's giving me. I trust our CEO and his product.. I'm simply just calling out the guy who posted false info at a very critical time, he is also LONG tsla..so i gave him more benefit of the doubt than i should have..It wasn't just me who fell for it, others wasted their time searching the source and taping the entire days worth of Bloomberg and re-watched it hoping to get a glimpse of Elon. Again, if I came on as angry I apologize it's not my intent. My hope is that we are able to post reliable info. It's definitely one of those things where if I played the game according to my instinct then i can eliminate mistakes, but when I start to listen to others, my mistakes are more abundant. The stock is higher today, congrats to all that bought back in. Take it from me guys, you'll feel a lot of regret from selling TSLA during this critical moment where the company is starting to meet production goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.