Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Investor Discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is not the pullback I've been waiting for. Talk to me if/when we see $36.

This. Though if it scrapes along for several days at $37.50 with a clear desire to go higher I might buy some back like I did last time we were testing new highs. Personally, I wouldn't be surprised by a fall back to $35.

But until Tesla actually makes some money the only thing protecting the stock price is faith. Any little negativity is much more likely to take a substantial bite out of the share price than it would in a more established company. That means substantial volatility, and that means new highs are almost always going to be followed by a selloff.

This. Though if it scrapes along for several days at $37.50 with a clear desire to go higher I might buy some back like I did last time we were testing new highs. Personally, I wouldn't be surprised by a fall back to $35.

But until Tesla actually makes some money the only thing protecting the stock price is faith. Any little negativity is much more likely to take a substantial bite out of the share price than it would in a more established company. That means substantial volatility, and that means new highs are almost always going to be followed by a selloff.

Yep. Agreed.

I think the best "forward looking indicator" is reservation rates. If reservation rates continue to improve from jan low and increases well beyond a rate of 20,000 /year, then TM will make great profits. I don't believe reservation cancel rate is larger either.

I usually don't doubt Citizen-T's instincts when it comes to investing, but, he may have been wrong when he strongly doubted (on Sunday) if the NYT article would have any impact :)

Me? I just looked through my posts since Sunday and didn't see anything about the NYT article with respect to the stock price. The only comment I made was that I didn't believe that Tesla was holding back earnings until the NYT news blew over.

- - - Updated - - -

doubt it'll get that low again.

I've heard that before.

Me? I just looked through my posts since Sunday and didn't see anything about the NYT article with respect to the stock price. The only comment I made was that I didn't believe that Tesla was holding back earnings until the NYT news blew over.

- - - Updated - - -

I've heard that before.

Ive heard it before too, just not when Conference Call is one week away and big positive news is expected. The longer we wait for the call, the higher the anticipation, the more people will listen, but most importantly the higher production numbers will be. After hour trading shows we're close to $38 again.

- - - Updated - - -

I've heard that before.

I think I mentioned something about doubting the impact of the NY Times article. My recollection is that I said it wouldn't do anything good for the stock on Monday, but I was skeptical of its long term impact.

Frankly the current pullback looks more related to the confusion over the earnings report. My assumption was that the stock was being bid up in preparation for the earnings report, and then we'd see a sell off barring some really great forward guidance.

Now the market, having been cruelly denied it's newsgasm, is just deflating with the realization that "buy the rumor, sell the news" was left jilted at the alter. The big money can't just sit around doing nothing waiting on the main chance that has now been delayed a week.

I think I mentioned something about doubting the impact of the NY Times article. My recollection is that I said it wouldn't do anything good for the stock on Monday, but I was skeptical of its long term impact.

Frankly the current pullback looks more related to the confusion over the earnings report. My assumption was that the stock was being bid up in preparation for the earnings report, and then we'd see a sell off barring some really great forward guidance.

Now the market, having been cruelly denied it's newsgasm, is just deflating with the realization that "buy the rumor, sell the news" was left jilted at the alter. The big money can't just sit around doing nothing waiting on the main chance that has now been delayed a week.

I partially agree, historically, we have seen this stock spike nearing CC and some selloff after CC, however, I do anticipate this CC to be different. Any positive info. during CC will cause the stock to rise since we are in the midst of earnings of historical levels. I do anticipate Elon having some suprises for us since I've never seen him play his cards so close to the chest before.

To say that the NYT artical doesnt have a significant affect on the stock is folly, the combination of both led to some pullback... a week away isnt that long, shorts will have to cover regardless I think there will be a rise leading up to next week and a sharper rise after CC.

I also anticipate the stock going back up after Elon releases the NYT Log, if anything, it should be released before CC to clear up any confusion. The way I see it is that Tesla is getting some heavy amount of free press, although it may be negative initially; its about to become positive once the blog is releaesd.

Ive heard it before too, just not when Conference Call is one week away and big positive news is expected. The longer we wait for the call, the higher the anticipation, the more people will listen, but most importantly the higher production numbers will be. After hour trading shows we're close to $38 again.
Negativity piling on:
1. Sorkin on cnbc claims broder a good guy however he doesn't state they are both coworkers at ny times
2. NPR covers ny times controv and states that shorter wait for cars indicates increasing cancellation rate and decreasing orders. They ignore other possibility of increasing production rate
3. Another journalist also negative stating there were 6 model s waiting at super charger. That would seem a larger delivery rate. But other complaint was that there was a near by farm that smelled. Am I missing something here???
4. Another journalist claims review of this blog indicates thar 40% of posters here side with the times????

My point here is that when you fight with the press other press allies will gang up. Show the logs and move on. Don't keep the issue in front of the public. They have free press and don't feel the need to be fair impartial or balanced

Tesla Motors (NASDAQ: TSLA) had its target price boosted by Robert W. Baird from $35.00 to $45.00 in a report released on Wednesday. Robert W. Baird currently has an outperform rating on the stock.

Other equities research analysts have also recently issued reports about the stock. Analysts at Jefferies Group reiterated a buy rating on shares of Tesla Motors in a research note to investors on Monday. They now have a $45.00 price target on the stock, up previously from $36.00. Separately, analysts at JPMorgan Chase initiated coverage on shares of Tesla Motors in a research note to investors on Tuesday, December 18th. They set a neutral rating and a $37.00 price target on the stock. They noted that the move was a valuation call. Finally, analysts at Needham & Company raised their price target on shares of Tesla Motors from $36.00 to $38.00 in a research note to investors on Friday, December 7th. They now have a buy rating on the stock.

Seven equities research analysts have rated the stock with a buy rating, one has assigned an overweight rating, five have assigned a hold rating, one has issued an underweight rating, and one has given a sell rating to the company’s stock. The stock has a consensus rating of overweight and a consensus target price of $38.83.

Tesla Motors PT Raised to $45.00 at Robert W. Baird (TSLA) | Jags Report - JAGSReport

What universe is he living in???

Right. There is a small percentage of posters here that believeTesla should not try to sell the MS as a long range car or a least that it's too soon for that, but they all believe that the NYTs author made poor choices and the car is perfectly capable of doing that drive with the SCs that are in place already.

My point here is that when you fight with the press other press allies will gang up. Show the logs and move on. Don't keep the issue in front of the public. They have free press and don't feel the need to be fair impartial or balanced
Don't forget tesla has strong backers too. A few reporters is nothing compared to all the research firms, multibillion dollar investment groups, and 5,000 happy model S owners. Just look at what Blair did today, raised TSLA to $45. The truth will prevail. The logs take time to put together, the longer it takes the better the quality, as long as its before conference calls, all claims the NYTines make will be squashed and other media outlets will pounce on the story.

Btw, citizen T, how do you feel about your $36 projection today? Hope you find a good entry point. Thousands of buyers are waiting on the sidelines like yourself which one will press the buy button first to trigger a domino affect. CC is one week away, keep that in mind.

Btw, citizen T, how do you feel about your $36 projection today? Hope you find a good entry point. Thousands of buyers are waiting on the sidelines like yourself which one will press the buy button first to trigger a domino affect. CC is one week away, keep that in mind.

Today has not changed my mind. Though, I don't need a $36 entry point; I have more than enough invested if we never get there. I'd be happy enough either way. I'm just preparing for the fire-sale that I think is likely to come.

I'm just preparing for the fire-sale that I think is likely to come.
Glad to know you made good $$ off tesla and have extra change set aside for a fire sale prediction. My take is very different, the fire sale has already occurred when it dropped to $37 yesterday. The only fire we'll be smelling are shorts getting burn soon. TSLA is expected to hit projections for the 1st time since inception, its starring in the face of profitability for 2013 with over 21,000Current reservations. Should cancellation rate hold firm at 10-15%, the stock is ripe for an explosion above $40 after CC. The big players will most likely enter driving prices even higher. I hope your right so we all can pickup more shares, but at this point in time I'd rather be in than out. CC is less than a week away. Prices will get hotter next week not cooler IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.