Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The real driver is battery costs / real capacity.
With a very major impact from the rest of the BEV driveline system ancillary costs/capacities.

Driveline VFD+regen, fast charging DC, home charging, EV sw capacities.
All 4 above are critical in terms of costs, power/capacity/efficiency, capacity.

The EV drive motor is a very easy part.
The VFD driving a 3-phase motor or mixed reluctance PM motor (Model 3) is extremely hard to do in 250 kW+ peak power:
-cheap - 500$ --
-small -- 30 kg --
-efficient -- 94% -

A siemens 250 kW VFD costs 15.000$ retail at 150 kg mass, 90-92% efficiency.

They may cost 10cents but I wonder what is the avoided cost of the alternative ---aweful lot of dirt in/out of a tunnel, anyone good at mental arithmetic ?

Depends if anyone local needs fill...
Relatedly, he tweeted that they are free for affordable housing. So instead of paying to dispose of the spoil, Boring can take a tax deduction for the charitable donation (potentially).

Regarding putting electric drivetrain in a production car, it costs more for likely less performance. Sure it cuts development cost, but the final product has little going for it (other than greenness)...

Bottom of the morning dip?

could the huge rise today be due to china talk? If so It might get reversed when talk falls out.
It's definitely china "talk". Whole china markets are up today as are Chinese internet stocks. IMHO that market is unnecessarily down to these levels. Could it go lower, sure.. but there is going to be a nice buying oppty in the future as the two markets converge.

But, if Chinese "talks" continue and any progress is made, BOTH TSLA and NIO will rise. Or, if the admin thumps its chest and puts on the 200B in next tariffs (they've now upped it to 267B) then both stocks will just fall more.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: SpaceCash
View attachment 334600

looks like Nikola is losing $2 Billion patent infringement suit soon
Tesla was awarded 2 US Patents on August 14th, 2018 for their semi truck design.

The US Patent Examiner ruled the Tesla design is unique compared to the Nikola design.

After Tesla learned their patent would be allowed and would issue, the Tesla semi began a cross-country trip to major customers to firm up orders.

It seems certain Nikola will lose its suit against Tesla, and Tesla's stock price should bump upward when Nikola officially drops their suit.

Tesla remains the sole company targeting the production of semi trucks and also the installation of charging infrastructure to power them on long distance trips.
You missed a few key points.
1) Front grills do more than provide airflow to the cooling systems. They also provide airflow to the interior cab without having to run the A/C system which burns power.
2) The steps are on the outside of the Nikola to increase the cabin width inside. On the Tesla, the steps are on the inside eating into the usable floor width.
3) The Nikola needs the extra width since it has two forward seats instead of the one on the Tesla. The Nikola One is designed for OTR operations for teams and couples who travel together. The Tesla is a day cab designed for a single driver with a jumpseat against the back wall of the cab.
4) Aerodynamics are much more critical to the BEV Tesla Semi performance. Those steering-linked moving "tailings" are one more thing that could fail and get crushed if they do by the trailer in a sharp turn. You may have noticed the trailer the being pulled by the Tesla Semi has an air flow tailing system as well that attaches to the rear doors.

Until we see the Semi's sleeper design they are pointless for long distance travel since the DOT prohibits drivers sleeping/taking required 10 hr breaks in day cabs.

You missed a few key points.
1) Front grills do more than provide airflow to the cooling systems. They also provide airflow to the interior cab without having to run the A/C system which burns power.
2) The steps are on the outside of the Nikola to increase the cabin width inside. On the Tesla, the steps are on the inside eating into the usable floor width.
3) The Nikola needs the extra width since it has two forward seats instead of the one on the Tesla. The Nikola One is designed for OTR operations for teams and couples who travel together. The Tesla is a day cab designed for a single driver with a jumpseat against the back wall of the cab.
4) Aerodynamics are much more critical to the BEV Tesla Semi performance. Those steering-linked moving "tailings" are one more thing that could fail and get crushed if they do by the trailer in a sharp turn. You may have noticed the trailer the being pulled by the Tesla Semi has an air flow tailing system as well that attaches to the rear doors.

Until we see the Semi's sleeper design they are pointless for long distance travel since drivers cannot sleep in day cabs.

Front grills do not usually provide cabin airflow. HVAC intakes are usually at the base of the windshield, either between the hood and the windshield or under the hood, isolated from engine heat (no engine heat in a Tesla).

It wouldn't be very difficult to extend the Tesla's cab by four feet to accommodate a sleeper.

If I remember correctly, the Tesla's wings are adjustable from inside the cab. It wouldn't be very difficult to include programming to move the wings based on trailer position and steering angle to prevent a physics conflict.

I'll agree that the jump seat doesn't seem ideal for team trucking, but I haven't sat it in, so I can't say for sure. Maybe it's fine.

Sorry for the off-topic post, but I felt it was important to correct some of this misinformation.

In my view, the SP shouldn't at all be affected by Nikola dropping the suit. It was obviously a PR stunt from the get-go, with a snowballs chance in hell of going anywhere. But I wouldn't mind a bump...
I would agree. Lawsuits only help when they are won and plaintiffs are awarded damages. In contrast, they hurt defendants who must pay the damages. Dropping a suit has little, if any, direct effect to SP.

Front grills do not usually provide cabin airflow. HVAC intakes are usually at the base of the windshield, either between the hood and the windshield or under the hood, isolated from engine heat (no engine heat in a Tesla).

It wouldn't be very difficult to extend the Tesla's cab by four feet to accommodate a sleeper.

If I remember correctly, the Tesla's wings are adjustable from inside the cab. It wouldn't be very difficult to include programming to move the wings based on trailer position and steering angle to prevent a physics conflict.

I'll agree that the jump seat doesn't seem ideal for team trucking, but I haven't sat it in, so I can't say for sure. Maybe it's fine.

Sorry for the off-topic post, but I felt it was important to correct some of this misinformation.
You must have missed the Tesla reveal last November. Watch it again as the silver Semi is driven in. They are linked to the steering or the movement on the kingpin but it is automatic without direct driver input.

The Nikola One does not have a front engine either. It is an EV just like the Semi.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: SpaceCash
Has Mercedes got a plan for long distance charging in the U.S? If not, all other features are in large part irrelevant. There is simply only a small niche of people willing to spend that much on a car that can only make a 200 mile round trip drive.

Edit: When they have Tesla as an alternative...
I agree but there is even another argument that speaks in favor of building EV only lines.

If you do not build an EV from scratch but just put an electric motor in, like Daimler is doing it, you do not learn how to build a Tesla like EV at first and you have to learn how to ramp one or more full EV production lines later and once you have the demand you are waiting for.

This is a silly compromise Daimer as well as BMW are doing that will hit them in the back. Its a strategic mistake that I did expect them to make a few years ago but not now with all the knowledge that they should have absorbed from e.g. the 3 tear down.

The decision the Senior Management had to take was influenced by:
  • How can I convince the board to move to EVs?
  • What is required to keep the shareholders happy and the share up?
  • How to manage the lack of knowledge in my plants about EVs?
  • How to keep the Unions happy?
  • How to keep our strategic advantage of suppliers who build highly sophisticated systems for our ICEs
  • How to solve the Battery supply issue ?
  • How can we determine how large the demand is out there for a BMW or Daimler EV without risking high CapEx
  • How can I keep my P&L under control for the time I will be with the company?
  • How can I keep my job?

Within this questions a obviously a few topics that just don't show up like: customer satisfaction, strategic investment, change management, know-how building, a.o.

Instead this guys are doing compromises and find a false con-sense that will likely not sell well.

I think these German car makers understand autonomous EV is the future. They just can't figure out a good way to move forward. Autonomous is hard, let's put that aside. They can build decent EVs if they put in the effort. They can build charging networks too.

The real problem is what to do with the current cash cow. VW makes $10B profit each year. If they introduce good EVs, their customers will quickly find out EVs are much better than ICEs. They will have a hard time to sell ICE vehicles. So from money point of view, their best approach is to only talk about EVs, but focus on selling ICEs.

The second big problem is that Tesla moves really fast, Mercedes, VW, BMW can't build EVs that's competitive. In 2 months Tesla will start to release autonomous driving features. Next year $35k Tesla is coming. If I were Mercedes's CEO, I wouldn't be able to sleep.

Elon said if he were a legacy carmaker, he couldn't figure out what to do. It's a difficult problem for ICE makers.

Last edited:
In 2 months Tesla will start to release autonomous driving features.
*cough* Yeah dude. 6 months definitely. *cough*

Dm7DCm4XcAErqlI

From the WSJ. Another recall

NEWS ALERT
GM Recalls One Million Pickups and SUVs in U.S. for Crash Risk

General Motors is recalling more than one million late-model pickup trucks and large sport-utility vehicles in the U.S. for a steering defect that has been linked to 30 crashes and two injuries.

The trucks are can lose their electronically controlled power steering momentarily before it suddenly comes back on, causing the driver to have difficulty steering, GM said in a filing to federal safety regulators.

Status
Not open for further replies.