Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted 3k, but I'll take it. Will be interesting if we see 2k+ next Tuesday. It would be an interesting tend and point more towards 2k/w as long as the vins are also getting assigned at high pace based on historical data being tracked on Google docs. I would be shocked and dismayed if they can't improve to 2k+/w by the end of the quarter.

Many are also speculating that they will do a big delivery push in CA, so we could do 15K Vin in the wild soon.

Ya now some hope they’ll do 13.5K this quarter

Ya now some hope they’ll do 13.5K this quarter

Im not saying 15k deliveries, just a a 15xxx VIN in the wild or at least assigned. We have seen some over 12k and as they approach 2k/w, you would think they would start to get close in the next 10 business days, but I am sure they will be doing deliveries on Sat. the 31st as well. If not, then we might be looking at something less then 2k, which I am dreading.

This is my reference:

Highest production VIN in the wild

Two quotes from that page:

Over on the Tesla forum someone got VIN 122xx assigned on 3/17/18 for Blue, 19s, EAP and FSD.

March 2nd: 1088 new VINs, highest 12436
March 10th: 1387 new VINs, highest 13823, 299 more VINs than previous batch
March 20th: 2042 new VINs, highest 15885, 655 more VINs than previous batch

Last edited:
Reactions: elasalle
Good news on the VIN data. I'm getting more optimistic that perhaps we will hear they are getting close to a rate of 2,000/week and rapidly increasing. If we also hear the Grohmann line is almost complete and will startup very soon, increasing the production rate further, then I wouldn't fear the Q1 ER. On the other hand, the stock is likely to turn around and climb again soon, so we may actually go into the ER on a climb. The ER may be weak enough in the face of a climb that it sends us back down. I think it all depends upon the stock movement leading into the ER.

Reactions: Zhelko Dimic
$245 should be a worst case scenario from now until Q3 that would require bad M3 ramp news low MS/MX deliveries, as well as macros going down in my opinion.
We didn't get anywhere near that level with the 12% S&P correction in February. It would take more than that, perhaps twice that correction. Possible but not at all likely.

Im not saying 15k deliveries, just a a 15xxx VIN in the wild or at least assigned. We have seen some over 12k and as they approach 2k/w, you would think they would start to get close in the next 10 business days, but I am sure they will be doing deliveries on Sat. the 31st as well. If not, then we might be looking at something less then 2k, which I am dreading.

This is my reference:

Highest production VIN in the wild

Two quotes from that page:
In the Model 3 Invites sheet I see 5 deliveries on 3/31:
Untitled.jpg

I'm not sure which analyst is dumber the one at GS or Bernstein Research. He's talking about a poor "take rate" for Model 3 existing owners using some unknown sample size while not considering any other factors. Amazing how these guys still have jobs in their field.

Enjoy the sale right now longs.

Indeed, it did not seem to dawn on Bernstein's Sacconaghi that the Model S & X owners are the ones most likely to be waiting for dual motor Model 3's to become available as their second Teslas. They are also the ones least likely to need a Model 3 right away. Or perhaps such an apparent oversight was intentional to further justify his earlier negative comments and low price target.

Last edited:
Indeed, it did not seem to dawn on Bernstein's Sacconaghi that the Model S & X owners are the ones most likely to be waiting for dual motor Model 3's to become available as their second Teslas. They are also the ones least likely to need a Model 3 right away. Or perhaps such an apparent oversight was intentional to further justify his earlier negative comments and low price target.

Here's a couple things he missed:
- Model S and X are entirely different classes of car (someone who drives a 7 may not want a 3 series in the BMW world)
- Model 3 has no AWD (which you nailed, Deferral)
- White Interior Option (Deferral)
- Performance Variant (Deferral)
- People who converted to S/X who couldn't wait for the 3/misinformed about S/X
- Those who don't need a second car
- Those who are waiting for leasing

Totally missed on those who are non-Tesla owners waiting to configure. It's fine that he twists things for his rhetoric but for people to invest based on that is just criminal

Here's a couple things he missed:
- Model S and X are entirely different classes of car (someone who drives a 7 may not want a 3 series in the BMW world)
- Model 3 has no AWD (which you nailed, Deferral)
- White Interior Option (Deferral)
- Performance Variant (Deferral)
- People who converted to S/X who couldn't wait for the 3/misinformed about S/X
- Those who don't need a second car
- Those who are waiting for leasing

Totally missed on those who are non-Tesla owners waiting to configure. It's fine that he twists things for his rhetoric but for people to invest based on that is just criminal
I can say as a family with 2 Model 3's. The car is so amazing that even if every last reservation was cancelled today , as soon as the general public sees and gets rides in a Model 3, there would be 400,000 reservations all over again! At least 50% of the people who have ridden in our model 3's in the last 3 months have made a new reservation.

Also, though the 2wd, long range version suits my family just right, I can understand that many, many buyers with deep pockets would wait for a more premium AWD/Performance/white interior version. And that many, many buyers would wait for the $35,000 base car.

Yeah, I didn't understand the logic of thinking more than 30% of Model S owners somehow needed a new car. Do people generally buy a brand new high-end car, sell it 3 years later and buy a model that's a step down?

Sacconaghi was referring to Model S & X owners who have reservations for Model 3's, and have not yet taken advantage of the opportunity to order one ahead of non-owners. Some of us have provided likely reasons for this in posts above, including waiting for the availability of dual motor Model 3's.

When I was in the queue at an Illinois Tesla store to reserve a Model 3 two years ago, the people on either side of me were Model S owners who both wanted a Model 3 as a second car. Interestingly, both were from Wisconsin where Tesla stores are prohibited. So their making time consuming trips to Illinois early on a weekday morning indicated they were really interested in obtaining Model 3's. At that time it was not known that various configuration availabilities would be time separated.

Meanwhile, I am a current non-owner but have indicated on the Tesla website that I will wait for dual motors to become available on the Model 3.

Last edited:
Here is another Bounce, Hold or Fail line for those of you who relish charts.

Well, sorry - it's not a line but a single datum. Regardless, it may have at least some psychological effect:

As of right now, with TSLA @ $314.79 and GM @ $37.21, Tesla remains the #1 market cap US auto maker: $53.17bn vs $52.13bn.

• Informative
Reactions: SunCatcher and JRP3
Status
Not open for further replies.