Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe there is some confusion here on this board about the battery pack assembly line and I would like to add to that discussion hoping not to step on anybody feeds.

There are two fundamental manufacturing approached that needs to be kept separated:

1. The semi-automated production they have been installed after realizing that what they attempted before did not work and is now based on humans helping machines to do a decent job. That has been fine tuned to increase efficiency and output over the course of the last months. Based on the written statement after the confusion in the last ER call it ought to be the production to 2500 U/W once in full swing. In parallel to that approach that I tend to call a work around they gave Grohman the priority 1 order to build a fully automated production in Germany.

2. The fully automated line from Grohman tested and confirmed to be working a while ago is able to produce 2500 /week without any human support and was told to be working and shipped in March to be installed. Unless EM did a claim without asking the German Engineers for approval, which may be a negative scenario, we can be certain that this line worked fine in Pruem (HQ) and after shipped and assembled from the same German Engineering team will definitely work as it did in Germany as physics as far as I know are the same in CA and DE. Risks are at the interfaces say material supply and logistics as well as space. All of that is easy to assess prior of shipping and its in the rule book from every engineer ever as basic #1 for Engineers. IOW I have absolutely zero doubt that the line works once implemented. Once its installed and running you have without ramp and without fine tuning a production rate of 2500/units. Without in that context means 1-3 weeks ramp to 100% once implemented depending on not anticipated challenges e.g. humidity, temperature changes, ground material ... you name it.

To make a long story short, the current ramp we see is either the old semi automated line working towards almost 80% capacity or the new fully automated Groman line but only if new Bottlenecks appeared somewhere in the production and hindered them to get to 2500 U/W. A mix of both would result in a much larger output than 2500 u/w that they potentially could store somewhere but I would be surprised if they want that. I am actually not certain if they intend to double the Groman line or keep both but the later sounds more likely to me in the short term.

What I am trying to say is that once the Groman line is implemented we should see as a step increase the full capacity and the 2500 U/W. Still we can have a smaller output of cars.

To assume given the slow ramp we have seen in Q1 that it will continue like that would mean that the Groman line does not work at all, will not be implemented or other severe bottlenecks appeared that they cannot get rid of in the weeks and months to come.

Sounds optimistic (coming from ValueAnalyst), but interesting take nonetheless, especially coming from Germany. Thank you for sharing.

Although not a Member State, being part of European Free Trade Association means that Norway is essentially part of the European Single Market, so I'm pretty sure, but not certain, that they are not permitted to have a monolateral agreement with the USA.
Its independent of EU vs export agreements with the US. But only 0,2% of the steel/aluminum export goes to USA so it's no problem really. More the principle.

Reactions: madodel
I voted for it and glad to see it pass. But, did you really think his current ownership position wasn' enough incentive not to grow company and respond to FUD?
Right, I wasn't trying to pass judgment on the merits of the compensation plan, but here goes. My view is that it needed to be this large so that Musk would bring new entrepreneurial ambitions into Tesla, rather than developing them outside of Tesla. With this plan, Tesla is buying whatever new businesses Elon would otherwise create over the next 10 years. So this is way above CEO compensation for running a business. It is entrepreneurial compensation for creating new businesses.

With that in mind, I am very eager to see what new entrepreneurial concepts Elon brings to Tesla. He could certainly bring Boring Company and a hyperloop business to Tesla. Also he may even be tempted to bring Starlink to Tesla. Part of what would make that attractive is that if bringing such businesses to Tesla would enable better access to financial markets. He clearly does not want to take SpaceX public, but transferring a chunk of business from SpaceX (or Boring or whatever) to Tesla could allow him to tap the equity and debt markets for capital without surrendering SpaceX to the stock market.

So in this theory,Tesla becomes the public holding company for virtually all the Musk Empire. If this is the direction, then it also makes sense that Elon will not want the stock to be beaten up so badly. The Tesla stock needs to be a strong currency for tapping capital.

Right, I wasn't trying to pass judgment on the merits of the compensation plan, but here goes. My view is that it needed to be this large so that Musk would bring new entrepreneurial ambitions into Tesla, rather than developing them outside of Tesla. With this plan, Tesla is buying whatever new businesses Elon would otherwise create over the next 10 years. So this is way above CEO compensation for running a business. It is entrepreneurial compensation for creating new businesses.

With that in mind, I am very eager to see what new entrepreneurial concepts Elon brings to Tesla. He could certainly bring Boring Company and a hyperloop business to Tesla. Also he may even be tempted to bring Starlink to Tesla. Part of what would make that attractive is that if bringing such businesses to Tesla would enable better access to financial markets. He clearly does not want to take SpaceX public, but transferring a chunk of business from SpaceX (or Boring or whatever) to Tesla could allow him to tap the equity and debt markets for capital without surrendering SpaceX to the stock market.

So in this theory,Tesla becomes the public holding company for virtually all the Musk Empire. If this is the direction, then it also makes sense that Elon will not want the stock to be beaten up so badly. The Tesla stock needs to be a strong currency for tapping capital.

I don't know if this has been brought up, now that Elon got his package, and "new entrepreneurial concepts" that he may bring, along with additional workload and pressure on his people , will the question "what's in it for me?" arise from his lieutenants

Interesting. I agree that Boring as a transportation company fits with Tesla.
I tend to differ in that I think he would rather develop other business in the private sector where there is less concern for stockholder opinions. Also, SpaceX needs the Starlink revenue for the Mars project. The other issue is that any acquisitions that dilute the stock count against his compensation goals, so the sub-companies would need to be profitable (to get approval) then transferred to Tesla with minimal cost.
I think it more likely that Boring is a customer of Tesla for skates (increased profit) , and Tesla is a customer of SpaceX for internet (reduced expense).

Reactions: Waiting4M3
I don't know if this has been brought up, now that Elon got his package, and "new entrepreneurial concepts" that he may bring, along with additional workload and pressure on his people , will the question "what's in it for me?" arise from his lieutenants

Possible ..
But, Are they any that don't draw a paycheck? OR. have invested their own monies into the company?
also if Tesla is at 650B, I think all the vested options for each employee will also have increased like 10 times ..

OK I guess guys like JB, Hans, Deepak are drawing a nice paycheck (vs Elon's $0) then that's balanced out.

Elon is basically going down with the ship, if it goes down. All FUDsters that like to talk about Tesla going bankrupt dont mention that fact. Dude has Cast Iron ones for sure. It is not a sure thing that an ill timed trade war or hyper inflation or even worse, stagflation where you have stagnant growth and still have a lot of inflation. Nothing is written in stone. This is why I like the package. I dont care about profitability as I dont see Tesla stopping at good enough. The problem and mission are to large. It will take decades to fully penetrate all the markets Tesla is looking to operate. The one caveat to that is if the rest of the world decides they want to chip in, in a more meaningful way. China is a good example as well as many countries looking to outlaw Diesel. This could shorten the timeline for which Tesla stops trying to expand at all cost and focuses more on quality and speed to market with new offerings to own the high end in the margin. In fact, Tesla's mission only works if they can encourage meaningful competition through delivering massive amounts of pain at the high end of the margin curve. As a matter of fact, I assume Tesla will never make any kind of economy class vehicle, unless you consider a hyperloop or Boring Tunnel sled that has economy class seating. Tesla will allow the Chinese and Japanese along what what ever survives from GM and Ford to fight over over the scraps. I instead expect Tesla to move into different industries like Aircraft or solar roads or charging embedded in the roads or whatever else Elon can dream up. Semi convoys that charge while they drive on Solar roads and Hyperloops will end trains, so no need for trains.

Last edited:
Reactions: AZRI11
Interesting. I agree that Boring as a transportation company fits with Tesla.
I tend to differ in that I think he would rather develop other business in the private sector where there is less concern for stockholder opinions. Also, SpaceX needs the Starlink revenue for the Mars project. The other issue is that any acquisitions that dilute the stock count against his compensation goals, so the sub-companies would need to be profitable (to get approval) then transferred to Tesla with minimal cost.
I think it more likely that Boring is a customer of Tesla for skates (increased profit) , and Tesla is a customer of SpaceX for internet (reduced expense).
The dilution issue is one motivation for Musk to bring a new venture to Tesla early on. Suppose Starlink will one day be worth $50B. Today it is still at a very early stage of development so likely worth less than $100M. So let's say SpaceX sells it to Tesla early on at $100M. Then Tesla raises the capital needed to put satellites in orbit and build out operational and customer service units. Several years later the Starlink LOB is contributing $50B to market cap. There's very little dilution here under this scenario. Now if Musk just wants it for future revenue, it could be sold Tesla for preferred stock that pays out Starlink earnings as dividends. So SpaceX would hold these preferred shares as proceeds from the original sale. This way Tesla would not need to issue commons shares just to buy Starlink.

So I'm not saying that I think this is what will actually happen. I am only exploring some ideas of what could happen. Elon and Tesla have these options and perhaps better ones going forward. So at this point we can only imagine what could be in the cards. Of course, the current business lines of Tesla are sufficient to grow the company to $650B. So I'm not suggesting that Elon needs to create new enterprises in VC mode to bring to Tesla. That's not necessary, but on the opposite side this compensation plan gives Elon strong incentive to offer up new enterprises to Tesla shareholders.

TSLA stock options?

If you want to be a multi-billionaire that dates hollywood starlets start your own company. And succeed spectacularly.

Like the two former Tesla execs that started North Volt are trying to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.