Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1118full-douglas-adams.jpg

In regard to Elon's latest tweet, I agree with what Elon Musk is thinking but it's definitely stupid of him to be tweeting such in the public. He is giving more fuel to the shorts to hurt tesla and long term investor.

Practically speaking, are there any legal repercussion from what he said? Could this affect the settlement?

I'm not sure any of us know if the settlement is a "done deal" ... my gut tells me it's not as there would be paperwork to be reviewed and signed .... who knows ? If I was at the SEC and it wasn't finalized yet I'd be having serious conversations about pulling the deal and/or changing it. Remember ... when they finally agreed on a settlement after he turned down the initial one it cost him another year before he could be chairman again and they doubled the fine. Maybe now they come back and demand that he step down as CEO ? It wouldn't surprise me.

CNBC: JUST IN: Securities and Exchange Commission declines to comment to CNBC on Elon Musk tweet that appears to mock the agency days after he entered into a fraud settlement

Well that wasn't very nice of CNBC to assume Musk was taking about the Securities and Exchange Commission. What do they know that we don't? ;) Further, is CNBC now liable for libel? (i kid).

What worries me is that the SEC could be ramping up their investigation into whether or not Musk lied about the state of Model 3 production last year. That could have provoked this.

...or perhaps he even wants to back out of the deal with SEC, which is also very bad!

...or maybe he's just upset at seeing the share price reaction to a good Q3.

...or maybe he's heard more comments about how the SEC rushed to push him into a settlement before the end of their financial year, and is upset with their tactics.

Whatever the case, I'm still having trouble believing that he actually just did this after all the trouble recently.

yeah it’s either that, or he has some really damning evidence to back that up. which, if we take into consideration recent events, is highly doubtful. he needs help. and so do we if he keeps this bullshit up.

if there’s something behind this, i’m dying to know what it is. it wouldn’t be good for the market either way.
clearly he feels wronged by sec and whomever drove that. i hope he has something that will bring the house down. but that’s a wish and a prayer at this point.

You should think about the opinion rather than just taking a view based on the source (and not just in this case). Is an SEC bureaucrat really going to tell his boss "we should change this agreed settlement because Musk was rude to us in a tweet".
I've seen such things happen. :-( I'd have to know more about the personalities of the specific SEC lawyers involved.

• Informative
Reactions: Nathan
Panasonic is very pleased with Tesla's corporate execution and is accelerating the installation of additional cell production lines at the Gigafactory. I don't think they have the same "cult of personality" view of Tesla that so many over here have; they recognize that Tesla is more than one person.

Also, I would guess that JB handles a lot of the interaction with Panasonic, or no?

Fighting the SEC by engaging in a long, drawn-out court case which goes to a jury a year from now when Tesla is blatantly successful -- fine. Tweeting childish taunts -- dumb.

This. I wouldn't have liked a decision to take the case to court, but I'd have supported it.

This? This is some grade-A man-childing. I posted back when the 'pedo' tweets happened that it revealed things about Musk that I wasn't pleased with. This is another point on that line.

I'll remain long Tesla until the cows come home, but my confidence in Musk has taken a major beating lately.

The Board has a fiduciary obligation to the shareholders. That fiduciary obligation might force them to at least hire independent counsel to determine whether or not they need to terminate Elon for cause to ensure that they meet their fiduciary obligations and do not subject themeselves to personal liability. Between his tweets regarding taking Tesla private and today’s tweet, termination for cause could be viewed as a real possibility (or at least a forced leave of absence). This could provide the shorts even more arrows in their FUD quivers and put even more downward pressure on the stock. As someone who is long with a somewhat substantial position, I must admit I am really disappointed that Elon allowed his personal frustrations with the SEC to blind his obligations to his employees, his Board, and his shareholders.
An immediate suspension would be more prudent than hiring a lawyer. But I doubt it will be the Board that acts. Musk is the man of action here, the Board merely reacts when forced.

If you are a long investor, you are TRIPPING if this tweet disappoints you or makes you mad.

The SEC has CLEARLY abetted and colluded with shorts. Elon has called them out. Big effing deal. The only thing I dislike about the tweet is the typo.

Chill the heck out

Then sue the hell out of them or whatever legal means you want to take. Doing the thing the caused the issue in the first place is just dumb

these are the tweets Elon is liking on twitter. He's lashing out because he's still not mentally accepting the settlement.

why is Elon so resistant to listen to his advisers? They all told him to take the deal, his lawyer even got Marc Cuban to call him to convince him and yet he still lets his hubris get in the way?

Stephane Hamel on Twitter

OK, that is not so smart. If the SEC sees that they might ask Musk's counsel to reconfirm that he is committed to the settlement.

• Funny
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
I suggest everybody to cool down a little. Lots of emotions here for really no reason.

This is no violation to his agreement and he is still free to say what he believed the SEC really is.

One thing I know for sure, Tesla still builds the best cars you can buy for money and we expect a nice market surprise at the ER.

If people sell tomorrow because they do not like his tweet behavior than they should never have invested. What he does Tweet has no impact on production, delivery, profit and cash flow or financial results they will present.

Sure, the media will use this tweets and make a big story out of that and shorts will try to attack once again but all that we know already. We know also that they never managed to get the SP under certain levels. The company is simply in a too good position today and there is no visible risk in an investment as of today versus the past quarters.

Investors who keep cool will be on the winner side and maybe this is just another bear trap and opportunity to add ....

I said it before: Emotion and the stock market don't go well together. Focus on the fundamentals and not on some SEC teasing we have seen tonight.

P.S. 12 k likes, not so bad :)

If you are a long investor, you are TRIPPING if this tweet disappoints you or makes you mad.

The SEC has CLEARLY abetted and colluded with shorts. Elon has called them out. Big effing deal. The only thing I dislike about the tweet is the typo.

Chill the heck out

I _never_ offend any agent of any state (e.g. a US TSA agent), also if I feel they are doing something that I don't quite follow, like repeating the same question multiple times.

But as I already said, I am not a billionaire and surely different from EM in other ways too.

Status
Not open for further replies.