Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Options Sniper on Twitter posted this a couple hours ago. It is NOT even TSLA specific. This guy is pretty good at what he does.

"signing off here. nothing to watch/trade. not a day/week or even month for small acct owners for sure. take a rest and stay away from mkt. this is not game for u. survival always first priority - no reason trading in this kind of mkt."

Option_Sniper (@option_snipper) | Twitter

Instead of trying to fit everyone into binary categories, I'd really suggest we treat it all in a more nuanced fashion:
  • Everyone who spends money in equities, derivatives and other financial markets is an investor in a fashion.
  • There's investors who support economic growth (longs), and there's investors who support economic contraction (shorts).
  • While most of the time growth is good, sometimes contraction is justified: for example the contraction of Enron was arguably justified.
  • When it comes to fairness in access to market then in many cases shorts should have similar rights to longs: for example investors should be protected from a broker stealing client funds regardless of the direction of their trades.
  • There's also ambiguity in certain financial products: for example if you buy ten lots of EUR/USD, technically you are going long Europe and are shorting the U.S. economy. There's also ETFs that aren't tied to a single company, and various derivatives related to interest rates, plus CFDs where technically you are long but not holding any shares.
  • But when it comes to shares of a specific company, when the interests of shareholders and anti-shareholders collide, shareholders should take a precedence - and this is a principle that far precedes the creation of the SEC.
  • This is what makes the SEC's enforcement action against Elon and Tesla so perverted: in their lawsuit they were not only actively siding with short position holders over a truthful tweet of Elon that tried to help Tesla shareholders, but the SEC was also not recognizing the fiduciary duty Elon and Tesla has towards shareholders, which means they are legally required to actively work in the interests of Tesla shareholders, i.e. against the interests of Tesla shorts. The SEC's action dropped the Tesla share price by much more than the brief spike Elon's tweets caused, which were reversed within a day or so.
Also, while you don't have shareholder rights, your interests are very much aligned with that of Tesla shareholders in almost all issues of Tesla's execution and their corporate governance. In fact I'd argue that if you hold a Tesla CALL option over 2 months you are more of a 'Tesla investor' than the day-trader or HFT who owns the shares for a few minutes or a few microseconds.

Partly agree, but remember the markets are about efficient allocation of capital. If you’re not allowed to short or to force bankruptcy then we end up with zombie companiies like in Japan.

Options Sniper on Twitter posted this a couple hours ago. It is NOT even TSLA specific. This guy is pretty good at what he does.

"signing off here. nothing to watch/trade. not a day/week or even month for small acct owners for sure. take a rest and stay away from mkt. this is not game for u. survival always first priority - no reason trading in this kind of mkt."

Option_Sniper (@option_snipper) | Twitter

hahh figures, today across brok and ira
bot 30 shs
1 dec 325c
1 jan 300c
3 feb 340c

• Informative
Reactions: SpaceCash
to force bankruptcy

that just seems unnatural to me, unless the company is misleading/hiding pertinent financial info, or acting maliciously..something to that affect. enron.

take this specific scenario below;

if a company is struggling to float in a rough economy, blazing a new trail, or entering a fiercely competitive environment, etc...
but NOT lying or hiding anything from all stakeholders (...not just shareholders), it’s bullshit that speculators can collude in attempt to force bankruptcy.

fair or unfair, can’t cry about it, bc it isn’t going away. can call it capitalism, but really its kinda bullshit. there’s million arguments to be made either way, i get it!

but in this specific case i laid out, the ‘short’ is not a stakeholder. rather an anti stakeholder..a parasite, a cancer.

it’s unreasonable, and a built in monopoly-enabling advantage for legacy competition.

i’m not anti-cap or anything.
i’m in a fiercely competitive market myself. not looking for free-bies. we stay ahead/alive thru innovation.

just saying that scenario about doesn’t seem right. sadly, don’t know a great solution. the market works pretty decently most of time

An EV Subaru would make even me (almost) think twice about going with a Tesla for my next car. It would also play to their granola target market in Washington/Oregon/etc perfectly. They would be extremely foolish not to pump the gas (heh) on this project.
Maybe Tesla can buy them in 5 years and start the conversion process.

that just seems unnatural to me, unless the company is misleading/hiding pertinent financial info, or acting maliciously..something to that affect. enron.

take this specific scenario below;

if a company is struggling to float in a rough economy, blazing a new trail, or entering a fiercely competitive environment, etc...
but NOT lying or hiding anything from all stakeholders (...not just shareholders), it’s bullshit that speculators can collude in attempt to force bankruptcy.

fair or unfair, can’t cry about it, bc it isn’t going away. can call it capitalism, but really its kinda bullshit. there’s million arguments to be made either way, i get it!

but in this specific case i laid out, the ‘short’ is not a stakeholder. rather an anti stakeholder..a parasite, a cancer.

it’s unreasonable, and a built in monopoly-enabling advantage for legacy competition.

i’m not anti-cap or anything.
i’m in a fiercely competitive market myself. not looking for free-bies. we stay ahead/alive thru innovation.

just saying that scenario about doesn’t seem right. sadly, don’t know a great solution. the market works pretty decently most of time
That scenario isn't capitalism, it is an oligarchy essentially price/product fixing the entire market.

Reactions: dqd88 and SpaceCash
Motley Fool:

OK, so who is this Fahmi Quadi?

I'm guessing Fahmi Quadir. Her name only gets 3500 hits on Google. Apparently her claim to fame was that she was in some Netflix documentary.

I'm sorry, but these "(Person A) predicted (Event B)" stories, beyond being a transparent attempt to smear or boost the target they're shorting or betting on via comparison to B, are nonsense. Anyone who's been in the market for a while will be able to point to cases that they predicted correctly when their prediction wasn't a mainstream view. And even if this wasn't the case on an individual level, there would be, among the millions of people making individual stock investments, a huge number of people who guessed right (even if at random) who can then be hailed for being correct and use their correct (even if random) success in the past be used for evidence as to why their current position is a shoo-in.

Republican introduces new bill to end the $7,500 federal tax credit for electric cars and tax them more instead

I hope this passes. Better for Tesla to have a level playing field, than for other car makers to have the credit while Tesla does not.

Of course, would have been even better to extend the tax credit for everyone until, say, 2025.

I disagree, since they're going to not only end the EV credit but also start taxing EVs more. Considering the amount of subsidy ICE get already, removing the EV incentive is a terrible idea. I don't mean for Tesla - it will be fine, even if perhaps a few people next year pick one less option or have to not buy the car, there will be others for long enough that they will continue to be supply constrained until well past when their tax credit fadeout would have occurred. But we need to incentivize the rest to step up. We need the EV credit, and we need the EPA to actually be the god damned EPA and get the efficiency requirements back on track, and perhaps even more aggressive, in line with the trend in the rest of the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.