Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m thinking I’ll increase my position by 10% at open. Trying to time to the bottom is something I’ve never been able to do, so I prefer incrementally buying more and more as the SP falls. Seems like the safest route for profiting from the inevitable recovery.

couldn't figure out how this post got "disagrees," then I remembered, the past few days have brought us some new high volume, end of days, posters. as Curt pointed out yesterday, in the past, has been the event with the highest correlation to a Tesla bottom (full disclosure, agnostic on short-term price movements, very very bullish on long-term value and price).

[snip]

The reason for the slow increase between 2020-2025 is because there are going to be massive numbers of major EV and self driving players in the market. Tesla is just going to be in this multipolar realm; their technology is neither the best nor worst..

I compared them to a LG product, not Apple as what Elon Musk had anticipated.

Massive numbers of major EV players in the 2020-2025 period?

What year do you predict Tesla will fall below 50% of global long range (over 200 miles of range) EV sales market share (excluding Chinese automakers sales within China)?

That could mean that they already hit 2500 units a week and they are getting ready for the 5000 units.

Since nothing made on Thursday could be delivered in Q1 2018 this makes sense. Tesla will report "deliveries" in early April i.e. cars in the hands of their new owners. What Tesla says about production rates is another matter. They could say that in a given seven day period - last Thursday to Wednesday i.e. today they produced 2500 Model 3...but it doesn't really matter.

Tesla has been less than transparent on this type of bad news in the past. They may know the answer, but are stalling for time. Just like M3 production number, who knows?

Don’t care. Won’t matter. Not falling for the negativity others like to spawn, spread and wallow in like pigs in mud. I know how this movie ends. I win. The world wins, all the while dragging certain unsavory types kicking and screaming ‘The sky is falling, the sky is falling!’

More like this is the end of days for the bear narrative. If Tesla is anywhere near 2,500/ week at this point the bear narrative is left with

1. Ramping from 2,500 to 5,000 is harder than 0 to 2,500
2. Tesla picks up little to no cost reduction in ramping from 0 to 2,500/ week to 5,000 week
3. Yes, Tesla is selling 100,000 X + S at average sales price of $90,000 plus but not very many people want a $50,000 version
4. The limited 2018 / 2019 competition from Jaguar & Porsche, which may get up to 30-40,000 units next year are going to have a substantial negative impact on Tesla sales.
5. Tesla will continue to invest in product & capacity expansion which no one will want to fund because VW and GM have secret plans to sell 500,000 EVs each in 2020

Reactions: gavine and X Yes?
I think that is extremely unlikely.
It's more likely those changes get them to about 2500 than that they are already there.

I'm pretty sure the jump to 5k doesn't require a long Shutdown persay, as part of it is installing the new additional battery pack line alongside the existing .Shouldn't need to shut the other one down until the final "okay hook it in" stage.

Why would they shut down the line knowing that they can make a few cars before the end of the week.

Rumor is they're shutting down the line Thursday, re-starting next Tuesday. Source seems to be an employee, don't know if he's reliable.

Charlie on Twitter
That's fine. They won't be able to deliver those cars this quarter, the factory employees have just had a huge production push (relatively) and it's Easter weekend. They deserve the time off.

was looking at those numbers last night in the 10K,

75% of that (a little over $900 million) is maturing in March of 2019... only about $300 million due before March. I say only, because here is the scale of what is going on- Tesla ended 2017 with about $3.4 billion in debt.

From a topline view, looks to me like the Model 3 ramp would need at least two more major (ie many months) delays before hitting 5K per month AND investors would have to be unwilling to loan Tesla money or buy more stock for there really to be a cash crunch. I'd put the odds of either of those events occurring at under 5%. I'd put the odds of both of those events occurring at under 0.25%.
the last bonds are trading at 86% now. that would mean well over 7%, maybe 8% interest for new bonds. they can no longer issue debt, that is gone

Reactions: X Yes?
From a topline view, looks to me like the Model 3 ramp would need at least two more major (ie many months) delays before hitting 5K per month AND investors would have to be unwilling to loan Tesla money or buy more stock for there really to be a cash crunch. I'd put the odds of either of those events occurring at under 5%. I'd put the odds of both of those events occurring at under 0.25%.

How do you factor in purchase commitments? Might Panasonic be willing to let Tesla off the hook?

• Funny
Reactions: X Yes?
With a current low of $254, this is now the 2nd largest dip in the last 3 years at 26.8%. Number one of course was in early 2016. If you bought on that dip at 27%, you would have bought at $177. At that level, you would have had to wait 12 trading days to make a gain. It is safest to assume this dip will be different.

Status
Not open for further replies.