Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
the last bonds are trading at 86% now. that would mean well over 7%, maybe 8% interest for new bonds. they can no longer issue debt, that is gone

1) I don't think they need to raise any funds any time soon, possibly ever, 2) they've only issued straight debt once in the nearly six years I've been following the company. if they reach a point they want to raise funds again, straight debt may or many not be available at favorable terms, but, they can do a convertible offering or a stock offering as well.

need to leave the house soon, but, worth keeping in mind there are institutional investors looking at Tesla's market cap currently at $43 billion, thinking, it's only once every few years you get an opening like this anywhere in the market. contrary to the propaganda campaign style pumping of the "Cult of Elon" narrative, Tesla is very heavily owned by institutional investors.

of course, I'm not leaving the house without another buy order entered at $252.80... last buy was $262 and change.

update: markets rebounding some, moved order up 50 cents and it executed. see you all later.

Last edited:
Tesla cash position looked fine to me after my refreshed look last night. Not sure why you are asking about actions a company under distress would contemplate.

What I am saying is that Tesla has large purchase agreements, notably with Panasonic that bind Tesla to take up a number of cells (and pay for it) that they then need to warehouse because Model 3 and Tesla Energy production are both bottlenecked at the moment. These purchase agreements as reported are $2.7B for 2018 with over 90% from Panasonic. At $100 per kWh that's 27 GWh Tesla must buy this year. Guidance is 1 GWh of Tesla Energy product, leaving us with 26GWh of cells that Tesla is contractually bound to purchase. 9 for the S/X makes 17GWh for the Model 3 or enough for over 225 000 LR Model 3s. That's a number Tesla is almost guaranteed to miss. So will Panasonic let them off the hook, if they don't buy that many cells. Or will they buy them, pay for them and see cash being converted in inventory. So how you see that story unfold is very relevant in trying to determine Teslas cash position over this year.

• Informative
Reactions: Matias and Compton
Why would they shut down the line knowing that they can make a few cars before the end of the week.

Maybe they're focusing on exit rate - maybe hard to prevent time off around Good Friday and Easter. Stop the clock on Wednesday or Thursday and let the workers rest. That way they lose a day or two of production, but the final week's production is maximized.

Or, as has been suggested, maybe this isn't happening at all...

Perfect storm, it seems, to drop sentiment through the floor. But nothing really has changed in the past few weeks with Tesla other than that the ramp now looks better than it did.
Same old same old as yesterday, or last week, the market is crazy right now, but nothing has changed with Tesla recently except that the ramp is going much better. The market is just relying on Bloomberg Tracker.

Speaking of which I took a closer look at their 2 methods, using VIN registration vs user reported VINs. Usually there is a ~2000 gap between the 2 methods, method 1 (VIN registration)l gives 2000 higher than model 2 (user VINs). But now the gap is down to ~1600, method 1 isn't keeping up the increasing pace as method 2. I really don't see any info that Bloomberg (or any outsider) could have that could decipher what VIN registration means, so I think it's reasonable to discount method 1 and focus more on method 2.

Doing the same sleuthing as what we do here on TMC, I eyeballed a line fit. I also estimated the size of each week as a blue box below. Using this scale, it looks like the slope now is at ~1300-1400/wk. Keeping in mind that Bloomberg doesn't clean up their data, people who received a low VINs a while ago but reporting it now gets the current date, so I think the slope is still underestimating the true slope.

upload_2018-3-28_8-25-32.png

Status
Not open for further replies.