Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, can't read link.. FT is the worst with their paywall.

But, I saw all the posts back in August when this was first reported, but we also heard that Funding was Secured. I'm just wondering, was there an official statement or filing from the company that showed the PIF as having actually taken that direct investment? At this point with Elon's comments, it seems they are hedging a bit - again.

The headline is: Saudi Arabia’s sovereign fund builds $2bn Tesla stake. Search for it from Google and follow the link (it should give you access for a couple of articles).

So what I meant is that the minimal capex 7,000/week target looks conservative, and they might be able to reach 7,500 or 8,000/week.

But IMO the actual level doesn't even matter much: Tesla made over a billion dollars in Q3 alone, they could afford even "significant" capex. Their Model S/X/3 lines are almost literally printing money.

The level of capex mostly matters in terms of timing of future growth:
  • "minimal capex": low cost improvements with little lead time, with a time frame of "months". 4,000/week to 7,000/week is probably this.
  • "incremental capex": equipment probably already specced and ordered, buildings under construction. Time frame of "quarters". Shanghai might be an example of this.
  • "capex": long lead time of at least a year. I'd expect the Model Y to be this.

It's a shame that the shorts have forced Tesla to slow down their CAPEX. Getting the Y out earlier would be a better match for current market demand.

wrt the rumored trade deal with China -- IMO this is just Trump maneuvering for the elections. Even though he isn't actually running for election, to him he is. And he's been upset with things that he thinks make him look bad: like his Fed raising the rate, or his trade war impacting the stock market.

Expect all sorts of lovely words in an effort to rally the market in the short term so that he can feel that he has won, then be dropped like a hot potato as soon as the elections are over. Unless China really does capitulate and acquiesce to his every demand -- in which case he will gloat like there's no tomorrow.

What does this mean for market action? I expect cautious gains until the other shoe drops, then another reversal whose depth is determined by how badly Trump goes after China. In other words, I expect that (as a whole) the market is anticipating this two-faced, self-serving behavior so pre-election gains will not be substantial.

The headline is: Saudi Arabia’s sovereign fund builds $2bn Tesla stake. Search for it from Google and follow the link (it should give you access for a couple of articles).
Indeed, I can read that. And all the other news reports of this investment simply say "according to the Financial Times". My question is still about is there some other corroboration about this investment?

And Elon's comment about "they may have already sold it", well why on earth would they sell it at a loss? Maybe it was prior to the PIF fund report and prior to "funding secured" pop, so they may have sold it after that, or at loss after THAT but I don't see a large sovereign fund like this TRADING. So, if Elon says "i don't know" they may have sold it, why?

Just as a math exercise, 2B$ in shares at lets just say an average 325$ per share (I would hope the Saudis had entered at a better price than this) that's over 6 million shares, which should put them in the top FIVE easily. I have looked at lists of "major fund, investors" holders that go all the way down to 1.7 million in shares held. And yet, I can't find ONE list that shows the PIF or other Saudi Fund or investor on any of these lists?

Last edited:
Tesla Says SEC Issued Subpoena To Automaker Over Model 3 Production

Code:
In particular, the SEC has issued subpoenas to Tesla in connection with (a) Mr. Musk’s prior statement that he was considering taking Tesla private and (b) certain projections that we made for Model 3 production rates during 2017 and other public statements relating to Model 3 production. The DOJ has also asked us to voluntarily provide it with information about each of these matters and is investigating.

WTF? SEC issued a subpoena about (a) Mr. Musk’s prior statement that he was considering taking Tesla private when they have already settled?

On the other hand, the market didn't really move much from this news.

• Informative
Reactions: immunogold
Exactly the thought. Stockpile them next to a port and you can have them wired into the grid anywhere in the world a few weeks later.

A 40-foot ISO container has 43,9 times the internal volume as a 100kWh powerpack. Now, with powerpacks, you also have to have power modules, not just energy modules, which argues for multiplying by less than 43,9 - but you'll also be able to use space more efficiently, and energy density will be growing. Let's just say 45x. So 4,5 MWh per container. A single cargo ship could carry tens of GWh. Equivalent to hundreds of the Australian battery farm.

Not bad at all. :)

But where to charge it. Maybe they can put in a Supercharger and just charge it for... 38 hours per container.

Indeed, I can read that. And all the other news reports of this investment simply say "according to the Financial Times". My question is still about is there some other corroboration about this investment?

And Elon's comment about "they may have already sold it", well why on earth would they sell it at a loss? Maybe it was prior to the PIF fund report and prior to "funding secured" pop, so they may have sold it after that, or at loss after THAT but I don't see a large sovereign fund like this TRADING. So, if Elon says "i don't know" they may have sold it, why?

Just as a math exercise, 2B$ in shares at lets just say an average 325$ per share (I would hope the Saudis had entered at a better price than this) that's over 6 million shares. I have looked at lists of "major fund, investors" holders that go all the way down to 2.7 million in shares held. And yet, I can't find ONE list that shows the PIF or other Saudi Fund or investor on any of these lists?

Because she attached very negative connotation to the Saudis. She was highly political about it.

Reactions: JRP3

Code:
In particular, the SEC has issued subpoenas to Tesla in connection with (a) Mr. Musk’s prior statement that he was considering taking Tesla private and (b) certain projections that we made for Model 3 production rates during 2017 and other public statements relating to Model 3 production. The DOJ has also asked us to voluntarily provide it with information about each of these matters and is investigating.

WTF? SEC issued a subpoena about (a) Mr. Musk’s prior statement that he was considering taking Tesla private when they have already settled?

If you have no new news...

1478167508_Recover-arrow.png

Code:

This is Market manipulators and collusionists trying to gauge reactivity of Tesla as a security to news articles. Since there was relatively little reaction General institutions are realizing and presumably algorithms as well that Tesla is indeed a company that makes, produces, sells and delivers high end cars at a large margin. With a simple calculator that will only add up to more profits.

My God. He sounds like Trump. Like all the hype.

One can spew high levels of confidence when ones track record includes doing a multitude of things deemed “impossible” whilst Simultaneously making money at it.

Neither of these feats can be attributed to the spray tan man. In fact the opposite is so shockingly, demonstrably true, that anyone who tied themselves to this out of control train wreck will be suffering an identical fate as those riding the short train.

Rant over

Fire Away:confused:

(Edit:changed bravado to high levels of confidence as bravado has connotations of the kind of crap the spray tan man spews)

Last edited:
Hmm. What part of the SP looks "inexorable" to you?

View attachment 349143

Don't get me wrong - I do think we're probably now re-basedlined to a higher level. I think a sub-$250 SP would require a pretty significant force majeure event. And I think the peeling off of some of the shorts should decrease the volatility.

But it should neither eliminate volatility nor resistance. Tesla still needs to prove to the general investment community that it can do what it did in Q3 sustainably. What upcoming news is going to do that?
Inexorable is of course dependent on time frame. For me and my crystal ball it is the next 2-3 years.
YMMV of course.:D

This is Market manipulators and collusionists trying to gauge reactivity of Tesla as a security to news articles. Since there was relatively little reaction General institutions are realizing and presumably algorithms as well that Tesla is indeed a company that makes, produces, sells and delivers high end cars at a large margin. With a simple calculator that will only add up to more profits.
This is from todays' 10Q and part about SEC asking Tesla about production numbers IS a new information, so I don't get that anyone thinks this wouldn't be reported? Now, market doesn't care, so that's fine...

Reactions: immunogold
Stockpile them next to a port and you can have them wired into the grid anywhere in the world a few weeks later.

Actually, if time is of the essence it should not be too hard to air drop them with parachutes from a suitable cargo plane.

The Soviets and later the Russians have that capability with e.g. their heavy cargo plane IL-76 that each can air drop several IFVs (each a good dozen metric tons). Being less risk averse, they do it with the crew inside - even in peace time, so the lithium-ion cells that like a human-friendly environment should be able to manage the landing too - at least when the elaborate parachute system works, which is most of the time.

Russia Developing Parachute System To Airdrop Armored Vehicle With Personnel Inside

Status
Not open for further replies.