Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Neroden—

FWIW: my “remote” experience in naples and OIB has been great. Ranger service has been superb & they have fixed issues that they could at my home and when they couldn’t it was flat bedded to the appropriate service center (with a loaner provided).

They've done their best out here, but the FIVE HOUR drive to the service center -- and, until recently, for the Ranger as well! -- makes scheduling a PITA for everyone involved.

This is NOT a low-population area. There are millions of people up here. They need to space out their centers geographically. Musk even said so a few months ago, but no sign of action yet.

The shorts are doing everything they can to keep the SP from breaking out. If they can prevent a breakout through the next week they may survive through the slower holiday week.

But then they need to pray for something negative to happen before the delivery numbers come out, which is likely to put further pressure on them.

They are playing an increasingly treacherous game, which is so unlikely to end well for them!
I’m hoping the stock sticks around 370 until January 2nd. I think to hit all time high we need a forceful breakthrough of the 379.5 barrier and 63,000 3’s sold plus 27,000 SX will be more then enough for a breakout.

With less overtime this quarter and more orderly production climb, margins should hold up well. SGA is up somewhat, as sales and delivery staff have been added, but sales should be up about 600 million and margins will be over 25% on sales over 50,000 units.
Q1 is going to be a big breakthrough though, high margin cars in Europe and China prioritized and energy expanding finally. Over 100,000 cars likely in Q1 and TE over 500 million revenue should be over 7.5 billion. Tsla and Tesla don’t always move in lockstep, but the long run of Tesla growth will drive tsla higher in the long run.

Screw Robinhood... options trading is down. Wrote calls and outs and would like to close them for $$$. Switching to TD Ameritrade next week

Told ya to get a real broker.

Right now, I'd recommend Fidelity personally. If you're feeling sharp and can read all the fine print, IB. I myself use Schwab but it's partly out of habit.

The "360 ceiling" (actually $359.87) was a thing in the mind of many shorts when they still believed that Tesla couldn't make their Mar 2019 bonds if the SP was held below that ceiling. Hence their extreme, expensive, and ultimately futile attempt to keep the SP below 360. :p

Since the Dec 6 Bloomberg article reported Tesla will pay the Mar 2019 bonds with a 50/50 mix of cash/stock, that particular short thesis has crumbled (like all the others) and the 360 ceiling is shattered. That was 4 session ago, and it took the weekend for the news to be really understood.

Keep in mind that the settlement method Tesla elected (50/50 cash/stock) only applies if the bondholders convert. If they don't convert, then Tesla is still paying 100% cash.

Also, it wouldn't be feasible for the shorts to try to keep the share price below $360 -- in fact, the exercise methodology of the converts specifically prevents that kind of manipulation. It is based on a volume-weighted average price (VWAP) of 20 consecutive days of trading. At present, it wouldn't make sense for them to convert. If it keeps trading at these levels or higher, then they will likely convert sometime before March 1.

As much as I seethe over the greedy manipulation by the shorts and would relish their financial empire to deservedly crumble, it has allowed me to accumulate enough shares at a time when I'm able to afford them that in a truly fair market evaluation, probably wouldn't be half as big. To that, I am thankful.
I second that notion. as someone that was a latecomer to buying TSLA (starting ~1 year ago), I view the FUD & shortsellers as providing an artificially extended period to accumulate shares & have managed to amass a large position (for me) with a cost basis of $300. Many thanks to the wise heads in this thread (FactChecking, Neroden, KarenRei, Kurt Renz, & many others) that have been invaluable for teasing out the signal from the noise & helping me maintain the discipline required to buy at times when others were freaking out. Holding long & strong from this point on, as the value of TSLA & logic motivating Elon's vision will be recognized sooner or later for what it is. Also motivating for me as a federal research scientist that studies climate change is that TSLA is the tip of the spear in a market based, sexy solution to addressing an overarching threat that our government has proven woefully unable & unwilling to address. Now back to lurking...

I wrote calls as a swing this morning. Still can’t close them out. **** Robinhood! I hope there is a class action lawsuit

If you don't pay them, you don't have a contract with them and therefore don't have much of a case against them... you know the saying about getting what you pay for?

That's terrible. I use Robinhood as well (didn't intend for my position to grow to be as big as it has now become), and if I could transfer my shares elsewhere at the same cost basis I would. As it is, I feel somewhat locked in now. I will look into whether or not I can move my shares to another broker
Request either an ACATS transfer (takes two weeks) or a DTC wire (fast, but they may not offer it). I think they're required to offer ACATS in order to be registered with NASDAQ.

These are ways to move sercurities from one broker to another.

You can also demand that the securities be issued into direct registration (which is like having a certificate, but without the certificate), or demand a certificate. Then go to another broker at your leisure. Can't do that with options though.

If you don't pay them, you don't have a contract with them and therefore don't have much of a case against them... you know the saying about getting what you pay for?
I pay for Robinhood Gold to trade in AH so technically... anyway was able to close the call I wrote for a nice profit. Still going with TD Ameritrade. Used to use Ally Bank when I first started trading Tesla back in May but the app sucks

OT:

My understanding is Tesla were complying with EU standards in order to be allowed to sell Model 3 in the EU. No compliance, no model 3 permit. Their trading bloc, their rules.

The connector is specified by the standard, the charging when connected to a CCS vehicle is specified by the standard. However, does any of that preclude Tesla from doing something non-standard when connected to a Tesla?
Supercharger -> CCS car: standard
CCS charger-> Tesla car: standard
Supercharger-> Tesla car: whatever Tesla wants

The free trades are pretty nice, but I feel like I'm being penny wise and pound foolish. Something like today's SNAFU could have cost me hundreds or thousands if the timing were worse. The only other consolation is maybe they're working out kinks in their new in-house clearing system.
If you transfer a decent amount of money / assets (50k or more) you get a lot of free trades in Fidelity. Others must be having such deals too.

Now that we are on this subject - which is the best brokerage ? Since Fidelity doesn't allow me to write calls based on Leaps, I might want to switch after Q4 earnings. TOS gets good ratings as a trading platform - so how is T D Ameritrade ?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: neroden
This is related to daily reported VINs. Normally reported VINs are clearly low on weekends like you see on the left side. However, recently, this started to change. See the table on the right. I observed the same thing happen at the end of other quarters.

9ueIpE0.gif

Last quarter, somebody had asked me about days off in Q3. This was my answer, in case you find this interesting:

Here is what I can tell: I look at the VIN chart here and guess where they are in terms of total units produced so far. Let's say 139,872. Then I subtract past quarters. Production was 94,268 at the end of Q3. That leaves us with 45,604 so far in Q4. Then I look at where the trendline is heading. Let's say 60K produced at the end of Q4.

This quarter, production estimates will be difficult because of the huge gap between 136K-150K. If I'm going to be wrong, I prefer to under-estimate instead of over-estimating. In fact, all my Model 3 prod estimates so far (Q1, Q2, Q3) were lower than actual numbers. This quarter is especially tricky. The Model 3 VIN chart looks more and more messed up thanks to Tesla assigning VINs non-sequentially and adding artificial gaps. This doesn't happen and never happened with S/X.

Then I calculate deliveries. I talked about delivery calculations here two weeks ago. I keep changing my methods all the time. I run two methods side by side and tweak one of them and then I might change my mind and go back etc. Generally speaking, estimating deliveries is more difficult than estimating production and it doesn't always work out. For example, this was my accuracy in Q3 2018. More details here.

97.78% Model S + X production
98.77% Model 3 production
88.83% Global Model S deliveries
94.42% Global Model X deliveries
98.63% Global Model 3 deliveries
The accuracy of the first, second and fifth estimate is good, fourth is OK, third is poor.
I feel that this will not be highly reliable going forward, b/c
1. Tesla seems to want to intentionally make predictions harder by introducing VIN gaps and producing cars non-sequentially.
2. There's not much incentive for people to contribute their VINs for spreadsheets, b/c deliveries take like 2 weeks and under, so not much waiting and guessing and reading TMC meanwhile; most probably don't bother to register for TMC anymore.

If you transfer a decent amount of money / assets (50k or more) you get a lot of free trades in Fidelity. Others must be having such deals too.

Now that we are on this subject - which is the best brokerage ? Since Fidelity doesn't allow me to write calls based on Leaps, I might want to switch after Q4 earnings. TOS gets good ratings as a trading platform - so how is Charles Schwab ?
Schwab will let you write calls against Leaps if you're allowed to do options spreads. (But I think Fidelity will too -- have they not given you permission to trade spreads?) I'm fine with Schwab's platform, though it's not good if you want to trade really fast. They do sell order flow so if you hate that, go to Interactive Brokers. IB has the best options commission rates IMO -- no "ticket fee" -- though you may be able to negotiate with Schwab or Fidelity to match IB's options rates (I did).

Now that we are on this subject - which is the best brokerage ? Since Fidelity doesn't allow me to write calls based on Leaps, I might want to switch after Q4 earnings. TOS gets good ratings as a trading platform - so how is T D Ameritrade ?
I don’t trade options... just shares.
I love Schwab and been using them over 20 years now. Everything else I used (Ameritrade, scottrade, TD Ameritrade) all crap compared to Schwab.

I pay for Robinhood Gold to trade in AH so technically... anyway was able to close the call I wrote for a nice profit. Still going with TD Ameritrade. Used to use Ally Bank when I first started trading Tesla back in May but the app sucks

Download the TOS platform and play with the paper money feature to get a handle on it. The quotes in paper money are 15 minutes behind but you will get a good feel for the platform

• Funny
Reactions: SpaceCash
Status
Not open for further replies.