Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be honest, I'm happy with today's price movement. From a purely selfish point of view I'm happy if it stays right where it is, or even drops to 350 into the New Year. Then through January it can go nuts again...

As for today, here's some graphs...

View attachment 360969

View attachment 360968

If anyone has any idea what they mean then I'd love to know...
Where did you get these charts?

While "Montana Skeptic", notorious anti-Tesla FUD-ster on Twitter was doxxed earlier this year and he was found to be deeply connected to the web of Big Oil consulting firms - and he also immediately stopped spreading the FUD once doxxed,
Are you certain he didnt get a new “nom de plume” on SA? There is a poster there whose style is strikingly similar although he denies being one and the same, tho quiet recently.
.....and this is also I think part of the reason why FUD articles in the Washington Post and the New York Times were the most effective - they had the biggest effect on 'weak longs' and 'opportunistic shorts' with significant funds but only a marginal understanding of Tesla - both dominantly present in the U.S. financial industry.
Has the WaPo been better with anti Tesla since Warren Brown the auto editor passed away?

Audie, you know I do catch-up on posts in ORDER, I didn't get to your "I'm moving posts" until after I'd caught up.
Respected Mr. Neroden, if I might humbly offer a suggestion on how to deal with that dilemma... please refrain from posting stuff that has nothing to do with TSLA short-term... and the problem will go away by itself.

TSLA down but still outperforming Nasdaq so far.

Dan Ives (Wedbush analyst) currently on CNBC. “Does not think capital raise on the horizon. This has been a dark cloud on the stock.” Regarding a question on production of Model 3 - “In all of our checks, it is about 6,500-7,000 per week.” “As an auto, it is overvalued. But, we view this as a disruptive company.” Overall, of course, he was very positive.

OT

There would be no SpaceX, no Tesla, no Boring Company, no OpenAI, no anything Elon is pursuing had he listened to others.
Thanks god he still does not and I sure hope he keeps that way.

The day Elon starts listening to others is the day I'm out of TSLA... bankruptcy or at least mediocracy guaranteed.

Musk was going to do franchised dealerships until one of the other VC investors told him not to and pushed him heavily not to. It's mentioned, indirectly, in an interview (he doesn't say it's aobut franchised dealerships but describes it as a one-way trap where once you go in you can't get out, which is obviously franchised dealerships). I think most people missed that interview.

He listens to other people already, at least sometimes. So you're out of Tesla before it went to IPO, I guess...

Well, of course it does. :) That's how you make money in stocks. Read the efficient markets theorem... the only way to make money is to have better information.

Not always. Sometimes retail investors here at TMC know more than institutional investors like Chanos. :) But it is always all about the information....

There are stocks I've held where I've gone "Huh. I haven't been able to pay enough attention. I don't feel like I really have an in-depth knowledge of this company any more." And I sold, because I knew I'd lost any informational advantage I once had.
Efficient market theory is not always true from what I've heard. Some big name investors have disagreed with it. From what I understand it was big back in the 60s and 70s and 80s whenwhen compu began to take over and be used in trading especially. I think there is some truth to it, but more truth to the markets being manic depressives. Efficient market theory seems to assume there is no psychology involved with the ppl buying and selling so for me it leaves out too much for valuation perspectives. To me it just means bearishness or bullishness just shows up faster...but not that it's correct or not to be a bull or bear that day or as to how far it should go.

OT

Respected Mr. Neroden, if I might humbly offer a suggestion on how to deal with that dilemma... please refrain from posting stuff that has nothing to do with TSLA short-term... and the problem will go away by itself.
OK.

I don't know. I have a similar problem to Mr. Musk. I actually want to help people. In my case, I want to help people be well-informed and make sensible decisions. But people don't *like* that. I should just let people stew in their own bubble of self-reinforcing self-delusion. I really should.

And Musk should let humanity die off; they don't deserve saving.

(PS I don't usually feel that way, only when I'm in a bad mood)

Last edited:
OT

OK.

I don't know. I have a similar problem to Mr. Musk. I actually want to help people. In my case, I want to help people be well-informed and make sensible decisions. But people don't *like* that. I should just let people stew in their own bubble of self-reinforcing self-delusion. I really should.

The phrase "don't paint with a broad brush" comes to mind. I hope both you and Elon can remember that in your more frustrated moments.

Also, personally, I'm more than happy to read or skim past your OT posts at my leisure and let the mods sort out what should and shouldn't belong here. I'm not one to turn away an obviously well-educated and informed individual when they're looking to share what is often very useful information to the readers of this forum.

Keep on spreadin' that wisdom.

OT.... having trouble not informing people... I really will try to stop being helpful now...

Efficient market theory is not always true from what I've heard.
There is a big difference between efficient markets *theory*/*hypothesis* (which is false) and the efficient markets *theorem*. Let me explain.

Here's the *theorem*...
* IF everyone has the same information,
* AND everyone has the same ability to analyze the information,
* AND everyone has the same market power (this is basically monopoly-type power),
* THEN nobody would be able to beat the market.

This is, of course, true -- it's been proven mathematically.

However, the premises are blatantly false. Everyone has different information, different abilities to analyze it, and different amounts of market power. (The efficient markets *theory* claims that the premises are true, which is ridiculous.)

Using the contrapositive, we find that,
* IF someone can beat the market, then
* EITHER they have better information,
* OR they have better ability to analyze information
* OR they have more market power

Retail investors never have market power. So the only way retail investors can ever beat the market is to have better information or better analysis of it. Which is an interesting clarifying point when investing: if you think you have a way to beat the market, ask yourself "What do I understand that most of these yahoos don't understand?" If you can't think of anything, you don't have a good investment.

OT

OK.

You know who totally doesn't sound haughty, self-centred, and just begging for karma to take them down a peg? People who constantly insist that they know so much more than everyone else, when talking to forum full of people who obsessively research the topic.

Dan Ives (Wedbush analyst) currently on CNBC. “Does not think capital raise on the horizon. This has been a dark cloud on the stock.” Regarding a question on production of Model 3 - “In all of our checks, it is about 6,500-7,000 per week.” “As an auto, it is overvalued. But, we view this as a disruptive company.” Overall, of course, he was very positive.
As an energy company, Tesla is extremely undervalued.

The “partnership” value with the boring company, and SpaceX (and other Musk companies)is also extremely undervalued.

Most analysts don’t have a clue and it’s been that way from the first day.

Neroden, you know all too well the art is to know when to listen and when not to listen. Dealerships was not elon listening but simple facts, i.e. base principles.
Yeah, the way he described it in the interview he was set to go with the franchises, resistant to doing anything else, and the VC pushed him hard with lots of arguments over the course of time. Is he giving people time to *make* those arguments any more?

You know who totally doesn't sound haughty, self-centred, and just begging for karma to take them down a peg? People who constantly insist that they know so much more than everyone else, when talking to forum full of people who obsessively research the topic.
Nice emotional reaction. I don't really care about that. Be angry at me if you like. Go ahead and ignore the real risk factors for Tesla because you think that an accurate article was a "hit piece". Have fun. Not my problem.

Model 3 secured (Belgium) LR AWD.
To make this on-topic: a friend has just also ordered (even before me), but unlike me he only reserved many months later than me. He received his invitation mail later than me, but still today.
So it seems Tesla is inviting everybody at once in Europe.
Please adjust your earnings estimates with my the 2K euro deposit.

Yes - that's this Mod's reaction to yet another post by someone who seemingly doesn't get hints that would stun a mule.
Ok, so you know, it hasn't got unnoticed that you've increased frequency of posts on subjects unrelated to market action.
Sometimes I wish to call a moderator on you, but hey, moderators seem to be lax in this forum, they'd probably let you go off easy ;)

Is he giving people time to *make* those arguments any more

My guess is that the answer to that question depends on which time frame encompasses "any more". If "any more" is 3-6 months ago: probably not. He was too busy to listen to much of anything. If it's literally right now, then I'd wager he probably does.

Status
Not open for further replies.