Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There would be no SpaceX, no Tesla, no Boring Company, no OpenAI, no anything Elon is pursuing had he listened to others.
Thanks god he still does not and I sure hope he keeps that way.

The day Elon starts listening to others is the day I'm out of TSLA... bankruptcy or at least mediocracy guaranteed.
EM should (I'm actually sure, he mostly does) listen on tactics to get to a point - and he gets to set the point. A lot of times, even though an expert might think something is difficult to achieve, they will still tell you what actions have the best probability of success.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
You know who totally doesn't sound haughty, self-centred, and just begging for karma to take them down a peg? People who constantly insist that they know so much more than everyone else, when talking to forum full of people who obsessively research the topic.

With all due respect, this forum is just a couple of dissenting posters away from full-on echo chamber status. We would all do well to remember that and should encourage discourse, as long as said discourse is couched in facts and evidence.

There is a big difference between efficient markets *theory*/*hypothesis* (which is false) and the efficient markets *theorem*. Let me explain.

Here's the *theorem*...
* IF everyone has the same information,
* AND everyone has the same ability to analyze the information,
* AND everyone has the same market power (this is basically monopoly-type power),
* THEN nobody would be able to beat the market.

This is, of course, true -- it's been proven mathematically.

However, the premises are blatantly false. Everyone has different information, different abilities to analyze it, and different amounts of market power. (The efficient markets *theory* claims that the premises are true, which is ridiculous.)

Using the contrapositive, we find that,
* IF someone can beat the market, then
* EITHER they have better information,
* OR they have better ability to analyze information
* OR they have more market power

Retail investors never have market power. So the only way retail investors can ever beat the market is to have better information or better analysis of it. Which is an interesting clarifying point when investing: if you think you have a way to beat the market, ask yourself "What do I understand that most of these yahoos don't understand?" If you can't think of anything, you don't have a good investment.

If this were Reddit, that would be gold-worthy.

With all due respect, this forum is just a couple of dissenting posters away from full-on echo chamber status. We would all do well to remember that and should encourage discourse, as long as said discourse is couched in facts and evidence.

"Dissenting voices" are welcome. People insisting that they're so much smarter than everyone else aren't.

Feel free to think it. But learn some basic social interaction skills. Believe it or not, "I'm so much smarter than you" isn't exactly a powerful persuasive stance. Indeed, claiming that immediately makes people think that you're not, given that you clearly lack the common sense not to write such a thing.

Last edited:
Efficient market theory is not always true from what I've heard. Some big name investors have disagreed with it. From what I understand it was big back in the 60s and 70s and 80s whenwhen compu began to take over and be used in trading especially. I think there is some truth to it, but more truth to the markets being manic depressives. Efficient market theory seems to assume there is no psychology involved with the ppl buying and selling so for me it leaves out too much for valuation perspectives. To me it just means bearishness or bullishness just shows up faster...but not that it's correct or not to be a bull or bear that day or as to how far it should go.

The market tends to act according to the efficient market theory.

An analogy could be how the surface of a body of water tends toward being completely flat, but various chaotic (meteorological) phenomena limited in magnitude, time and space causes it to not be entirely so.

OT.... having trouble not informing people... I really will try to stop being helpful now...

There is a big difference between efficient markets *theory*/*hypothesis* (which is false) and the efficient markets *theorem*. Let me explain.

Here's the *theorem*...
* IF everyone has the same information,
* AND everyone has the same ability to analyze the information,
* AND everyone has the same market power (this is basically monopoly-type power),
* THEN nobody would be able to beat the market.

This is, of course, true -- it's been proven mathematically.

However, the premises are blatantly false. Everyone has different information, different abilities to analyze it, and different amounts of market power. (The efficient markets *theory* claims that the premises are true, which is ridiculous.)

Using the contrapositive, we find that,
* IF someone can beat the market, then
* EITHER they have better information,
* OR they have better ability to analyze information
* OR they have more market power

Retail investors never have market power. So the only way retail investors can ever beat the market is to have better information or better analysis of it. Which is an interesting clarifying point when investing: if you think you have a way to beat the market, ask yourself "What do I understand that most of these yahoos don't understand?" If you can't think of anything, you don't have a good investment.

Seth Klarman does a phenomenal job of explaining how and why the efficent market theory is false as well in his book, Margin if Safety. Superb book!

In Tesla's case, it would seem, that our (retail plebs such as myself) main advantage is having a long investment horizon. As a result of their short term thinking, institutions don't give themselves the chance to see how things such as fixed costs (as a proportion) over time fit the bigger picture. Poor analysis on their part.

Please stay healthy and keep posting. There are plenty of members here to whom you are a great source of wisdom and knowledge. I think the recent "OT" label helps those who rather skip your comments, without taking anything away from the people who look forward to reading them.

Status
Not open for further replies.