Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking that maybe my best bet might be to temporarily sell puts (assuming IB lets me, backed by the value of my calls?) to be able to take advantage of the market being down - then buy them when my SWIFT transfer comes in. What do you think?

I've never sold puts before, so I've never had to cover them, so I'm not sure what the process will be like.

I'm thinking that maybe my best bet might be to temporarily sell puts (assuming IB lets me, backed by the value of my calls?) to be able to take advantage of the market being down - then buy them when my SWIFT transfer comes in. What do you think?

I've never sold puts before, so I've never had to cover them, so I'm not sure what the process will be like.
Sell the puts only for a date AFTER your transfer will have cleared. If you're "put", you'll need to have the $$ to buy the shares.. or buy back the puts prior. Or, if you have margin on the account, they'll trigger the buy and you'll be on margin till you back fill the account.

Or you can roll the puts forward, or buy them back and eat the loss. Some people here sell puts as a means of accumulating stock on the cheap (especially since your cost basis is the stock price minus the put premium), some do it to play volatility (with covered calls too).
I totally understand the concept of selling puts to acquire stock. I have read a lot of comments here about options that indicate to me that most people here don't really understand options. I was just trying to make sure he was aware of potential obligations. IMO, selling puts is the most dangerous thing one can do in the option arena. (I don't know why this print just turned to italics---not intentional.). I've seen people's lives change when caught in a downdraft with massive put obligations.

Highly doubt they would let you collaterize a short put position w/ a long call. That would be what they call “wrong way risk”.

OT

I'm fine with this. I encourage the de-Appleization of Tesla's design team. Why? Because I'd argue Tesla's design philosophy (whether Elon knows it or not, I doubt he does) is too Silicon Valley, too Steve Jobsian. Jobs was famous for a design philosophy that argued that if a piece of software or a physical product needs documentation in order to be used, then the design has failed. Put another way, the best design is a design that is self-documenting. Now, I agree with this 98%. But when it comes to a CAR, used on public thoroughfares, I'd argue the missing 2% argues that you can't just rely on artsy-fartsy design principles. You gotta make sure people know what they're doing--lives could be at stake. I would argue Tesla's cars suffer from too much Jobsian design, and more and more we are seeing evidence of Tesla drivers not appreciating how the car works (witness the video of the Tesla Model S at the gas station, or any number of owners getting their 3s delivered to their home, and they're on their own in terms of knowing how to use Autopilot or many other features of the car). Sure, over time you pick up things (took me years to learn many cool secrets and tips and techniques with my Model S) but in a car, you ought to know the basics the first time you drive, lest you put others out on the highway at risk. So, I say, good luck Andrew Kim, and I hope Tesla hires a non-Apple person in his place (say someone with a strong human factors design background rather than someone with a Jony-Ive-Aesthetics / Design-with-a-capital-D / Can-We-Make-It-Thinner design background).

I totally understand the concept of selling puts to acquire stock. I have read a lot of comments here about options that indicate to me that most people here don't really understand options. I was just trying to make sure he was aware of potential obligations. IMO, selling puts is the most dangerous thing one can do in the option arena. (I don't know why this print just turned to italics---not intentional.). I've seen people's lives change when caught in a downdraft with massive put obligations.

No, cash secured puts is no more risky than a limit order for an underlying stock that you do want to purchase and hold for long term.

If you don't have the cash to get exercised then yes it is a rather risky trade.

Well you're not ultimately hurting Tesla by doing that, I imagine the bus of daily trades are short-term ones, you'd be lost in the noise.

But the problem is, and it's the same for me, is that you just don't know when it's going to shoot up. Hindsight is a wonderful thing...
Yeah, I'm not worried about Tesla, they'll do fine whether I sell or hold. The thing with the volatility is that you can count on it. Really. Not movement at a particular time or to a particular price point, but it always moves. Sure, there is uncertainty, which is why I don't have a stomach for it -- my tolerance is very low -- but the only question is the extent of the movement and given any real span of time (a week probably, a month definitely :eek:) there will be substantial movement.

I think the only real issue is being too greedy -- either waiting for a rise to go higher or a low to go even lower. But as long as you have the stomach for it (I don't) and aren't too greedy there's enough movement to make money off the volatility.

So I don't really think its a matter of hindsight, its just a matter of timelines and tolerance. Seriously, even if it had climbed to 420$ last week I have no doubt we would be seeing these levels at some point close-ish after (a week probably, a month definitely:eek:).

More power to them as has the tolerance. I just sometimes wish I did.

(and, yes, I'm well aware of people who have done that in the past and lost out. But those moments are the exception, not the rule, and are an example of the need for a well diversified portfolio -- which I also lack.)

Wow didn't expect this price action so early. Thought this might happen next week.

So, my limit orders to buy leaps and March calls got executed around 352. This is the "roll" of J'19 calls I sold around 365. If SP dips again tomorrow, will have to buy more.

Thankfully I sold the substantial Dec 21 calls around days high of 362.

Last edited:
Highly doubt they would let you collaterize a short put position w/ a long call. That would be what they call “wrong way risk”.

I started thinking about possibly setting up a margin account to temporarily buffer a buy, but I think I'll just hold tight and hope that the transfer posts before the stock goes back up. Somehow I doubt it will, though. They only initiated it last Friday.

I was trying to transfer all last week, and kept running into problems with my bank (some sort of system problem with SWIFT transfers), and their tech support has taken forever to fix things.

Reactions: guidooo
I started thinking about possibly setting up a margin account to temporarily buffer a buy, but I think I'll just hold tight and hope that the transfer posts before the stock goes back up. Somehow I doubt it will, though. They only initiated it last Friday.

I was trying to transfer all last week, and kept running into problems with my bank (some sort of system problem with SWIFT transfers), and their tech support has taken forever to fix things.
Is that service purposely ironically named? ;)

No, these were puts that I had bought. It was a buy, sell, buy bear spread. bought a 345, sold a 330$, bought a 325$ to protect to the downside. So, I bought the puts, and when the stock went down, they went up I sold them.

The only put I'm short, having sold it, is the 330$. I could buy it back now for 2x, but frankly it's trading at 1% for Friday, and yeah if we get to 330$ by Friday I'm fine being put 4x at 330$ which is about 133K.

Gotcha. Not being nosy. Sounds like you know what you're doing. I'm sure you can see my concern, given the fact that there are a few posters here who are not that familiar with the ramifications of options trading. GLTY.

Let’s hope this time is different?

879D5075-EA5C-4FB7-A2C3-54183891B86B.png

I'd toyed with the idea of selling when it was >370. If I'd done so and bought back in now (which I think is a bit early) would have netted a ~7% increase in shares. I just don't have the stomach to try and profit off of $TSLA's volatility, but I sure can see the possibilities.
I'm too afraid of missing a sudden upside to try to capitalize on a downswing like that. That's human nature though I suppose. We generally are more afraid of losing out on something
Let’s hope this time is different?

View attachment 361702

Fundamentals are different this time no? Of course, judging by that pattern that's what we should expect...which probably means it won't do that because people will expect it. IDK, I'm too sober to think about that.

FWIW
EU agrees deal to cut greenhouse emissions from cars | Reuters

Nobody will want an ICE car by 2030 anyway and it's a watered down compromise. At least it sets a goal that can't be met without an increasing percentage of ZEVs. Pushing the laggards a bit further towards the inevitable and a free ride for OEMs that are all electric.

Status
Not open for further replies.