Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The warranty cash costs and deferred cash costs should both be a relatively fixed $ amount per car per year (in fact warranty costs likely highest in the first few weeks post delivery), so each quarter the cash costs will scale roughly relative to average fleet size in the quarter. The warranty (c.$2k per 3) and deferred revenue reserve (c.$2k per 3) are similar to 4-8 year amortising debt. Its true they will consume more cash over the next few years, but i'd argue that gross profit before warranty and deferred revenue reserves is all long term quarterly cash flow. Perhaps the best adjustment is to scale the warranty costs by quarter end fleet size (450k) / quarter average fleet size (c.400k). So 54*450/400= $61m. Although S/X warranty is higher than 3, so this is an overestimate.
From a GAAP perspective the traditional technique was to debit Cost of Sales for warranty reserve costs upon sales recognition. That, however, is a non-cash charge. The charges to warranty reserve tend to be multi-modal with peaks in first month of sale, last months of warranty, and one or two other items that vary depending on model-specific characteristics. That is a tradition ICE picture, but very little alters with BEV's in general or Tesla specifically. An added complexity is that mew model or major modification to existing model produces, invariably, a higher early mode, frequently for several months or more.

In forecasting TSLA I would make a smooth assumption for cash flow perspective, and follow a simple percentage of average selling price for calculations of GM. Frankly, we haven't adequate information to refine this further and anyway, given the assumptions that must anyway be made, more refinement will probably increase potential errors rather than reduce them.

FWIW, conservative manufacturers over-reserve for new models and new markets, gradually reducing them when actual results add to predictability. Of course, when major recalls or other defects appear, that can go the other way, as it sometimes does. Mostly, when the initial assumption prove too optimistic the vehicle either is withdrawn for sale or is redesigned.

While January 9 is not realistic, note that the Q4 update letter and earnings call expected at around February 7 is not annual but quarterly.

The Q4 update letter could, in principle, be released a few days earlier - like they released the Q3 ER 10 days earlier: October 24 instead of November 3.

The audited annual 10-K report will be filed a couple of weeks later - last year's 10-K was filed on February 23.
Yes, but to clarify just a little, the Q4 quarterly report always comes with the predictions about the coming year, and a summary of annual figures, and also has the investor annual conference call attached to it. The 10K follows by a few weeks, presumably because it takes a little while for the auditors and board to finalize/approve. But that's why I, for one, consider the Q4 quarterly report to be effectively the annual event, not the 10K release. The 10K does give a lot more interesting detail though, sometimes giving a peek into operations or clarifying something that was said in the earnings call.

I won’t disagree that liberals distrust billionaires, but I question 80% are conservatives. I think you are well read and probably 100% on target 80% of the time. Maybe I think there’s a Soros or Gates for every Koch and that’s probably a bad assumption on my part. When I do look at the top billionaires though, I see Bezos, Gates and Larry Page and Sergei Brin, balanced out by Koch’s and the Waltons. I think a lot of billionaires, while self interested, still believe in liberal ideals and globalism. Many are beneficiaries of immigration and public education as well.
Not denying the rise of nationalism and autocracy being more popular, just not sure billionaires are so hegemonious.

Open to new data.

If you look at the Forbes 400 list, it's about half right-wing and about half left-wing, but the left-wingers are mellow relaxed types like Buffett or Gates who occasionally support vaccines or something, while the right-wingers are at least half *fanatics* who pour their *entire fortunes* into trying to control government policy. Often through secretive channels, as Fact Checking noted. (Ellison is not one of those. Adelson and the Kochs and the Walton heirs are.) Which is pretty asymmetrical.

• Informative
Reactions: humbaba
Cats and politics!.. PLEASE, can we focus on TESLA? I live TESLA every day. We have an S P90D and I drive a 3. Once you drive them there is no turning back. I live in La Mesa and we never drive into the village without seeing at least 6 or seven of varying models. We are far away from Silicon Valley and Malibu. Just a small podunk town.

You got something against cats that love and live Tesla? BTW, Grinch Cat totally saved the SP day. So, pfft!

That website has been hopelessly glitchy for months. Opricot is giving different numbers: $330.
Opricot Open Interest|Volume|Max Pain
OFF Topic
yes, but it's fun to use that one on SA ^^ to get shortz knickers in a twist.
(retired and too much free time i guess)
AND Opricot does say $360 on 1/18/2019, another 8% rise in pain for our "friendz"
(perhaps i can finance another 'shortz" subsidized vaca to Kaua'i where there are lots of EV's...... and go see the Lilo and Stitch house in Hanapepe on the river)

I am a bit puzzled and seeking clarification here on this forum...….

Sandy Munro wittered on about how unnecessarily complicated whole portions of the Model 3 design were and how Tesla should have sought advice from experienced car manufactures/design engineers. Didn't he send Tesla something like 200 suggested 'improvements'?

How does this square with all the comments now about how revolutionary and simple the assembly process is?! Can both be correct?

If so then just wait till Sandy's improvements have been added to the design/assembly process. Add in the new improved robots that have sent for re-training...………

The mind boggles!

Not 60+ cars at one location. Please. Context.
OFF topic
Do I need to swing by, again, the Gude Drive service center in Rockville Md, USA and post a few video's of it?
There are around 10-12 at the new building, and the other main building has a whole "gaggle" of X, S, 3, couple of roadsters _outside_ and a bunch _inside_ and a lot outside have papers says (appx) 'detailing done/finished'

I am a bit puzzled and seeking clarification here on this forum...….

Sandy Munro wittered on about how unnecessarily complicated whole portions of the Model 3 design were and how Tesla should have sought advice from experienced car manufactures/design engineers. Didn't he send Tesla something like 200 suggested 'improvements'?

How does this square with all the comments now about how revolutionary and simple the assembly process is?! Can both be correct?

If so then just wait till Sandy's improvements have been added to the design/assembly process. Add in the new improved robots that have sent for re-training...………

The mind boggles!

I think most of his suggested improvements were body related rather than assembly. Many are also explained by Tesla prioritising safety and durability over cost and ease of manufacturing.
General assembly gets a lot of focus, but it’s actually only a relatively minor part of the production process, particularly in cost terms.

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

President Donald Trump said on Saturday he’d spoken at length with Chinese President Xi Jinping and that “big progress” is being made toward a deal between the world’s largest economies.

Big progress. The biggest!

When Trump spews noise out of his pie-hole like this, it means nothing. Let's see what China says.

View attachment 364727
The SEC was so quick in part because of Elon being honest to a fault. Told the truth to investigators. That's why this was the quickest case ever opened and closed. Democrats will always be on GM's side. Tax credits for ev's only happened because of GM. Going forward Elon should refrain from mentioning the possibility of tesla operating a closed GM factory. Do not underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups View attachment 364728

I disagree with your belief that Elon should refrain from doing ‘anything’ (specific or non-specific). He should continue being himself, and even being honest to a fault. That he should be punished for that honesty is irrelevant. There are not enough honest, moral, ethical people on this planet. Those traits that Elon consistently expresses are to be admired, not admonished or avoided or criticized.

I disagree with your belief that Elon should refrain from doing ‘anything’ (specific or non-specific). He should continue being himself, and even being honest to a fault. That he should be punished for that honesty is irrelevant. There are not enough honest, moral, ethical people on this planet. Those traits that Elon consistently expresses are to be admired, not admonished or avoided or criticized.
I agree that honesty should not be punished. That's why Tesla should be a private company.

I agree that honesty should not be punished. That's why Tesla should be a private company.
But then I can't make lottery-style winnings off the company's progress when torrential SP victory arrives.

I'm in TSLA largely because the story is SO good. Tesla is a catalyst for all kinds of progress; maybe even the SEC will be forced to overhaul their tactics and operations because of them.

It's certainly a full scale opera, but going private would be boring.

Status
Not open for further replies.