Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
At the risk of appearing politically motivated, I must express a nudging suspicion that the rise in TSLA is because the market is happy about the next FED chief McCabe having to step down, perhaps temporarily reducing the risk for the president and his close circle to be indicted for obstruction, money laundering or whatever. The timing does seem to fit.

My 2 cent rambling. Disregard if you want.
McCabe is deputy director of the FBI, nothing to do with the Federal Reserve. But the FBI is often referred to as "the Feds", maybe that got you confused.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lessmog
"TSLA has been a laggard in performance over the last 4 years when compared to stocks like AMZN and FB."

Gosh, when you put it that way I’m totally depressed about my 10-bagger+.

I can't lay out in detail in what ways Tesla can and cannot be compared to super high performing companies in totally different industries.
But I do believe there are important fundamental differences which make many such comparisons questionable.
Autos are by far the most high valued mass produced products in the world. FB has already achieved much of its maximum possible market penetration. It is never going to be a trillion dollar company. Apple will, but they are already half way there. Netflix has come to dominate the entertainment delivery industry in record time. But they would need to get into additional similarly scaled sectors to reach trillion plus scale. Amazon will continue to grow to even larger size and power, but excluding IT services they are a retailer and will never make 30% margin on the hundreds of billions of other companies products. Tesla in contrast, has staked out leadership in a number of industries ready for total disruption.
If they can continue to innovate at a rapid pace and find ways to avoid mega conglomerate arteriosclerosis, they could continue growing at 50% for decades before bumping up against the limits of the industries they have already entered.

It was reported as a single trade for 900 contracts, therefore there would have been single entities on each side of the trade at the single price of $7.10. It could have been a naked write, but more likely the writer was a market maker or hedge fund that simultaneously bought some TSLA shares as a hedge. The writer probably saw the bid appear, and took it as an opportunity to accommodate with what he calculated as likely resulting in an eventual profit.

Sorry, that was me.. Fat fingered a trade. BTW, Uncle Curt, can I borrow a couple mil for, I don't know.. 3 months. I'm good for it, I promise.

A key Tesla engineer who helped design batteries has left the company
Why are employees leaving at such a critical time? Not too long ago two higher up employees left as well. I’m not liking this.
Another hit piece by Lora Kolodny. CNBC really seems to be going after Tesla.

Wearing my conspiracy theory hat, almost has me wondering whether there is a concerted effort to keep the stock down pre-ER on the basis someone can continue accumulating at these or lower levels.

The question is, will they dump pre-ER or just after a massive run up?

Why are employees leaving at such a critical time? Not too long ago two higher up employees left as well. I’m not liking this.
I wouldn't get too nervous about this one. There are 2 interesting things to note about this "article."
1. The author is one Lora Kolodny.
2. The news appears to be old, but the headline suggests it is new. At the bottom of the 2nd paragraph, it states that "Villanueva left the company some months ago, according to a person familiar."

Does this old news is new again approach by Lora Kolodny sound familiar? It even brings up those employees dishing about hand-assembling batteries again. Mark Spiegel though was not quoted in this one.

Sounds like someone thinks they know something. I wonder if they are basing this large purchase of calls on something we've overlooked, or perhaps some inside knowledge.

I really don't want to bet anything more than what I've already got on the table, but it sure makes me curious!

The other question is why 362.5 for February 16 call. Why not go with 360 or 365 both of which would have much more volume.

ValueAnalyst posted this on SA -

Tesla: Short Interest Update - Tesla Motors (NASDAQ:TSLA) | Seeking Alpha

So if some fund managers decided to make sure that they could vote with their shares by the record date Feb 7th, they could make their shares unavailable for shorts thereby driving up the share price and making those options profitable.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lessmog and Wenche
Old news, apparently. Now why would someone want to do that, with the stock going up? Hmmm...
General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

Wearing my conspiracy theory hat, almost has me wondering whether there is a concerted effort to keep the stock down pre-ER on the basis someone can continue accumulating at these or lower levels.

I wouldn't get too nervous about this one. There are 2 interesting things to note about this "article."
1. The author is one Lora Kolodny.
2. The news appears to be old, but the headline suggests it is new. At the bottom of the 2nd paragraph, it states that "Villanueva left the company some months ago, according to a person familiar."

Does this old news is new again approach by Lora Kolodny sound familiar? It even brings up those employees dishing about hand-assembling batteries again. Mark Spiegel though was not quoted in this one.
What the f is wrong with her? I’m taking this personally.

Reactions: ggies07 and madodel
What the f is wrong with her? I’m taking this personally.

We, of course, don't know.

That said, Tesla is setting off a very very probable disruption of 10% of the world's economy (likely impact of disruption to energy and transportation sectors... I made a rough count a few months back).

Hard to imagine this happening without a reaction from the small, highly concentrated, fraction of 1% of the world's population which is reaping nearly all of the profits from that 10% of the global economy.

For a long-time, some of us have suggested that the massive amount of negative press and the massive short position that has been in place over five and a half year's are not an accident.

10% of the world's economy is quite the cash machine. I wouldn't expect the reaction we've been seeing to go away anytime soon... not the short position, nor the ubiquitous false stories in the media quite likely designed to put an unflattering fun house mirror effect on the public image of Tesla, TSLA, and the transition to sustainable energy and transport.

Perhaps, consider appealing to the "better angels" of some of these writers via twitter and the like. It's not inconceivable, at some level, in some cases, it might have some constructive impact.

Reactions: bdy0627

As a little perspective, in January 2012, six months before the wildly successful Model S launched, this news broke,

Two Tesla Execs Leave Before 2012 Model S Launch, Stock Falls

The executives who departed were

"Peter Rawlinson, Tesla’s vice president and chief engineer, along with Nick Sampson -- who supervised vehicle and chassis engineering on the luxury sedan" (incidentally, yes, Rawlinson, the CTO now at Lucid, and Sampson, Senior VP of RD at Faraday Future)

For comparison, the title of Ernest Villanueva, whose exit from Tesla some months ago, made "news" today, was, "senior manager of Battery Module Design."

I realize the CNBC "article" led off with,

"Villanueva holds 8 patents and is credited with creating the battery modules that power all of Tesla's vehicles."

Credited with creating the battery modules that power all of Tesla's cars? According to who? Not mentioned. Perhaps that was Mark Spiegel's take on the history of Tesla's battery developments.

8 patents... over 11 years... anyone with industry experience care to comment as to whether corporate patents are usually assigned to an individual or a group of individuals?

8 patents... over 11 years... anyone with industry experience care to comment as to whether corporate patents are usually assigned to an individual or a group of individuals?
This search shows 9 patents with inventor Vilanueva and assignee Tesla. The most recent one was granted at the end of November, and interestingly is assigned to both Tesla and Toyota. I didn't look at the others. It is normal in the industry for inventions to be assigned to the company "for $1 and other valuable considerations".

Every time this person writes an article I buy more... Not an advice.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.