Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
a 240V receptacle and a 120V (perhaps two or more), ideally with the ability to toss your power tool's battery charger into some weatherproof storage bin / locker while it's plugged into the 120V and charge the cordless tools while you're driving around to the next job.

And that means you can run some of your house circuits during a power outage :)

agree 22k delivery sounds about right, from a 200k threshold perspective. I think production will be north of 30k, could be significantly (a few k) north even, so there could be close to 10k M3 "in transit"

I don't expect that many in transit and do remember they already had some 1.6k in transit at end of Q1. Yeah they could be holding inventory but then they'll deliver under 22k. I'm assuming prod at around 28k and they would be a bit above that if they got anywhere close to 5k per week.
As they get close to 5k, the focus shifts on margins anyway and given how hard they are pushing for margins (jobs reductions, payed internet, FSD AP), they might be in more troubles than expected.

I don't expect that many in transit and do remember they already had some 1.6k in transit at end of Q1. Yeah they could be holding inventory but then they'll deliver under 22k. I'm assuming prod at around 28k and they would be a bit above that if they got anywhere close to 5k per week.
As they get close to 5k, the focus shifts on margins anyway and given how hard they are pushing for margins (jobs reductions, payed internet, FSD AP), they might be in more troubles than expected.
They just dropped the price on AWD and P, if they're having trouble with profitability, why that then?

One interesting twist on pricing is that adding FSD after delivery is now $5K instead of $4K.

Wonder if this plus Elon's recent tweets on FSD features on the horizon will increase the FSD take rate.

It will but what they are doing is really nasty, big pharma mentality and they need to stop.
Elon will argue that the safety features are free and this is convenience but that demolishes his argument that AP increases safety. It's both safety and convenience.
They got the hardware on every car, make it so adoption is 100% or close to it. Charge 2k now instead of 8k for FSD and include it in base price in 2020 and you got marketing upside.
Ofc having 2 options and not having just FSD is nuts and charging same price for M3 and MS&X is ....
At this stage people are starting to buy something else because AP costs so much. In most of the world you can buy a new car at 8k$.
Analysts and investors are greedy, they like the apparent upside here but there is only downside.It's deeply unethical, bad business and a missed opportunity.

It will but what they are doing is really nasty, big pharma mentality and they need to stop.
Elon will argue that the safety features are free and this is convenience but that demolishes his argument that AP increases safety. It's both safety and convenience.
They got the hardware on every car, make it so adoption is 100% or close to it. Charge 2k now instead of 8k for FSD and include it in base price in 2020 and you got marketing upside.
Ofc having 2 options and not having just FSD is nuts and charging same price for M3 and MS&X is ....
At this stage people are starting to buy something else because AP costs so much. In most of the world you can buy a new car at 8k$.
Analysts and investors are greedy, they like the apparent upside here but there is only downside.It's deeply unethical, bad business and a missed opportunity.

You sound like a person who’s never driven Tesla’s AP in your life. It’s quite safe, as long as your eyes are on the road and hands on the wheel.

I didn't knew about that and need to verify that the info is accurate.
Realistically, they wouldn't cut prices if demand was high so this is a red flag for investors.

There isn't too much (any?) difference between the AWD and the base Performance version now. So, $10K for a better binned motor? Sounds like they are trying to increase margins.

Realistically, they wouldn't cut prices if demand was high so this is a red flag for investors.

I think they've decided to go for total domination over the competition, and high sales volume of high margin vehicles.

Better performance than BMW M3 off the line and on the track, and lower priced even before tax credits, incentives, gas savings, etc. Plus you have the option to get autopilot and FSD.

Last edited:
You sound like a person who’s never driven Tesla’s AP in your life. It’s quite safe, as long as your eyes are on the road and hands on the wheel.

You seem to have completely misunderstood what I said.
Musk claims that the payed features are convenience while at the same time , in other conversations, he claims AP increases safety. So when convenient, he claims no positive impact on safety and when AP safety is disputed , he claims it increases safety.
FSD is both convenience and safety, its commercial value is mostly from convenience gains but at maturity the robot can be 1000 times better than the best human driver.

No doubt Tesla has a demand problem. It looks like this.
29C05068-E6D8-4066-9C4D-42593DB7D8CF.jpeg

Turns out Tesla has a demand problem in Eden Prairie, MN too. There, it looks like this:
BFB20521-5EB4-418A-BBD9-BAE71E50F8E0.jpeg

@ Todd Burch
Remember, my remark was about AWD and P versions and ofc don't forget that Tesla has low margins right now as it struggles to sort out M3 prod. It wasn't a comment on overall M3 demand. Edit: You seem to be way too excited to be rational so slow down and focus.

@ EinSV
That's a valid point but to some extent it's just the other side of the same coin. Still means that demand is not where they want it, it's just framed differently.
I have a better theory actually, it could be that they got lots of motors that are performing good enough for P versions so they are trying to take advantage of that as it's free money. What % of the parts qualify for P is the main limitation and what could dictate pricing- assuming demand elasticity.

Last edited:
@ Todd Burch
Remember, my remark was about AWD and P versions and ofc don't forget that Tesla has low margins right now as it struggles to sort out M3 prod. It wasn't a comment on overall M3 demand.

Oh I remember.

Edit: You seem to be way too excited to be rational so slow down and focus.

I used to fly jets in the Air Force. 500 knots just above the trees. I think I can handle the speed of this conversation.

(Actually, my Model S has much better pickup below about 60 knots, hehe).

Status
Not open for further replies.