Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't really see what the confusion here is. There has always been a 1000$ refundable deposit to make a reservation and it's been the case for all buyers that when they complete FINAL configuring, they put down ANOTHER 2500$ non-refundable deposit once they configure their specific car. At that point, you're buying the car and getting in in 1-9 months and don't get the 2500$ back (and maybe the initial 1000$ too) if you cancel.

This is nothing new and frankly, not too unexpected. They have sold cars this way for a while now.

Based on how many negative articles came out because the stock jumped on no news. And my knowledge of past stock events of TSLA. I can safely conclude that $350 is a battleground price point and a jump above this point will indeed cause a short squeeze.
Can you explain why $350 would cause a short squeeze now when the stock was at $370 not too long ago and obviously no short squeeze ensued? What has changed in the last 2 weeks?

Can you explain why $350 would cause a short squeeze now when the stock was at $370 not too long ago and obviously no short squeeze ensued? What has changed in the last 2 weeks?

No logical reasons. Just a gut feeling based on the sum of all stock movements since tsla started trading. The amount of effort shorts spent to defend 350 this time is larger tyan previous efforts. Yes, it was previously past 350 a few days ago. But shorts successfully defended against it. So that counted towards the 350 defense position.

Mind you, they are spending all these gun powder not on a quarterly earning. But on a normal delivery number release which caused no volatility before.

As cool as having more colors available would be, I think it's either an earlier stage (some kind of protective coating or primer) or simply some kind of instagram filter or similar "photoshoping".

My theory is that it’s God’s Model 3. (The heavens are left-hand drive, believe it or not). He got a Performance model. I heard He’s going to race that “Don’t Panic!” guy.

rolling short squeeze in 2013? I’d thought about this too in the past and came to view that as not explanatory.

Tesla had roughly 105 million shares outstanding at the time. The peak to trough of the short position in the $40s to $180 move in 2013 was about 28 million shares short to about 17 million short (still a massive short position vs market norms). No doubt there was some replacement of older shorts with newer shorts. That said, my understanding of a squeeze is forced covering by shorts begetting higher share prices begetting forced covering by shorts. There was buying and selling by shorts netting a drop of about 10-12 million shares of Tesla short over a couple of months. If you look at the price movement and volumes of Tesla in that $40-180 4 month run, a peak of 11 million or so net short shares falling off *was *not *a *driving *force. A “conveyor belt” as you put the replacement of old with new shorts, inherently is a neutral force, not a driving one. Now, as mentioned, there actually was some net short covering (ie, so more covering than a “conveyer belt”), which was of some assistance to the upward move, but Tesla essentially had the kind of move a biotech can have when its first real commercial product gets FDA approval. Hitting the 20K/year annual run rate and a profit in Q1 2013 (along with a couple of other validating events) was effectively like a binary event where the world realized this product, the Model S, made it to market in a way that would sustain and feed Tesla rather than bleed it of its funding (ie, like Fisker and its Karma just about at the same time).
Ok, I see. You are thinking of a short squeeze as a situation where shorts net exiting drives the price up, a sort of exothermic reaction. I tend to think of a short squeeze more plainly as a situation where individual shorts are forced to exit their positions at a loss. This may be more a matter of long buying pressure than a self-sustaining short phenomenon, an endothermic reaction if you will.

I think an exothermic short of short squeeze is rather unlikely (especially where shorting is motivated non-investment concerns) and actually not so useful as a trading strategy. Shorts can hang out and lose as much money as they like as far as I'm concerned.

CNBC breaking headline news: Tesla now requires a deposit when you place an order for a car.

Must be an industry first.
Mr. Elon Krabs is unfair, plotting his oppression.
IMG_20180628_202452.jpg

Based on how many negative articles came out because the stock jumped on no news. And my knowledge of past stock events of TSLA. I can safely conclude that $350 is a battleground price point and a jump above this point will indeed cause a short squeeze.
Dang it. I'm going to have to develop a second law of price nullification to complement news nullification.

Law of Price Nullification
When the share price of Tesla rises, it is necessary for shorts to inject a false negative narrative so as the nullify the effects of positive price movements on market sentiment.

I'm going to make an educated guess that the battleground price is actually $360, or even $359.87. If we assume that there is a conspiracy-motivated group of short sellers who are actively trying to bankrupt Tesla by starving it of cash, the smarter ones will see that preventing the March 2019 convertible bonds from converting is in their interest, and that's roughly the conversion price. I think they aren't going to be able to keep it below $360 long enough to prevent those bonds from converting, since they're *already* having trouble keeping the stock price below $360, but I think that's what they're going to be trying to do for the next 8 months.

Last edited:
I have said that shorting pivot is at the top of the trade, 375 plus or minus 10 points (generally)... This means at 8 - 10 % losses, the shorts will begin to exit, which is around $405... so we should see a larger upside momentum at that price.

also, got the chance to order my P3D last night at around 2 AM, Went to the Tesla store today to make a final decision and ended up test driving a MS P100D. With tears in my eyes and a silly grin on my face, I transferred my M3 deposit and my car is on the factory floor under construction. Now a 2 Tesla family...MX2017

I certainly question the validity of some of those articles. Maybe that's why Elon posted a pic from the pain booth just a short while ago on instagram?]

Mais non, mes amis. The truth - she is even a leetle more terrible than even le monsieur YasB thinks. Those evil overlords are, rather than providing them pain, instead placing them in le brioche booth. Nom d’un nom et sacre bleu!

Last edited:
I'm going to make an educated guess that the battleground price is actually $360, or even $359.87. If we assume that there is a conspiracy-motivated group of short sellers who are actively trying to bankrupt Tesla by starving it of cash, the smarter ones will see that preventing the March 2019 convertible bonds from converting is in their interest, and that's roughly the conversion price. I think they aren't going to be able to keep it below $360 long enough to prevent those bonds from converting, since they're *already* having troublekeeping the stock price below $360, but I think that's what they're going to be trying to do for the next 8 months.

Those were the convertible bonds that had the call spread placed on them by tesla, so that unless the price was over 520 there would be no dilution, correct? Add to the bad actors keeping the price low the sellers of the long call spread.

Reactions: neroden
Status
Not open for further replies.