Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, I think you're looking at the wrong metric.

Wall St isn't going to care about a single week output. They aren't going to care about "capacity."

Wall St cares about results, and the results weren't great.
  • They only delivered 18440 Model 3s, or 1420/week.
  • They have a record number of cars in transit and admitted to logistics problems in places like Norway.
  • S and X deliveries, which are supposed to be funding Model 3 CapEx, are down yoy.
The Q2 balance sheet and income statement are looking grim. Huge inventory resulting in lower cash and bad earnings.

That's why the "5000/week" goal is kinda weird. What is significant about being able to pump out 5000 in a week?

Question for Q2 call: why were deliveries below 1700/week? (This is what's tanking the stock price)
I think you are spot on here. I do think Tesla will get there but we need sustained high production levels before profitability is assured.

I don’t think we all really know if they held under 200k,

That could very well be true. They could have thought they were under 200K until the lawyers checked the regulation and evaluated vehicles with unusual dispositions. They may have found that they need to build a unassailable case for being under 200K on 6/30.

At the Q2 earnings call Musk may also not want to dilute a very good looking book of orders with the criticism that demand is not sustainable. Q2 financials will not be pretty, and Musk needs orders to look great without qualification.

Reactions: neroden
That's why the "5000/week" goal is kinda weird. What is significant about being able to pump out 5000 in a week?

Question for Q2 call: why were deliveries below 1700/week? (This is what's tanking the stock price)

One more time for the peanut gallery; 5k/wk is the point that margins go positive and Tesla makes cold, hard cash and gives the middle finger to Wallstreet.

3 delivers were held back to prevent vehicle 200,000 from being delivered in the USA; as in Tesla just threw their US customer base a bone. There may also have been some logistic issues as Tesla has been opening up central deliver centers and shipping cars to Canada which would take additional time to get through customs. Having made 5k in the final week of Q2 means not a single one of those gets to Canada for delivery and just like that that’s almost half of vehicles in transit. Add the production from the week before another 4k?? that don’t get to Canada and voila 80% of vehicles in transit accounted for.

You’ve been told this. Is there another way you’d like it explained so you can understand or would you rather admit you’re being purposely obtuse?

Last edited:
Cate Long ...

When asked whether the likely scenario would mean that Tesla didn't need to raise capital, her response was a rather useless "IDK" (I don't know).
I think calling "I don't know" a useless response is being a bit excessive. It's at least honest, and that's better than most who comment on the company / stock. She might be unfamiliar with the details, so makes potentially incorrect conclusions from the little information she has, but if she hasn't been actually following the company, that's fine - her response of IDK is appropriate. At most I would ding her for not more clearly stating she isn't familiar with it so her incredulity at sustaining/growing weekly output could be given clearer context.

As if to answer the troll.

Elon Musk on Twitter
Screen Shot 2018-07-07 at 15.23.23.png

Not sure if this will happen, but it would be good news and a great story:
Elon Musk on Twitter
I think it's a testament to the human condition that almost all people invovled in businesses where they can help people like that in need tend to do so. This has been done before by many similar companies to those which Elon is CEO, that have expertise in various types of activities that can be similar to the situations for those being helped. It helps everyone: it helps the companies learn how to apply their knowledge and skills to adaptive situations, which helps other humans, and helps those companies work in different conditions and learn to try new things. It helps the people being helped in those situations. It used to happen before Twitter, before electric vehicles, before SpaceX, and it continues to happen today. Elon is following in a long tradition of people with knowledge and resources in a certain area of expertise doing what they can to help, and in return they get to learn how to try their ideas out in real life situations and learn more about doing it. Elon's company will gain experience in digging holes in Earth (Boring Co), on Mars (whoever goes up there, maybe including SpaceX), energy adaptation (Tesla).

All you have to do is turn up stories by any old man who has been involved in these industries. I'm sure Bill Wattenburg, an old AM radio host on KGO, had some stories to tell about rescue efforts of one type or another, if you asked him. Or you could ask your uncle in any similar business.

The only novel thing about today is that it is today. You can buttress that statement up however you want to, by saying it's being done on Twitter, by an electric car company, (in witness of TMC), and by a rocket company, that wants to go to another planet, but every other time in the past and every other time in the future will be that time's first in that situation, too. This was done when ham radio was avante-garde. When the telegraph was. By energy companies (oil, natural gas), by exploration companies (of all types), by infrastructure companies (of many names). And so on. And it will be in the future. And it should happen every time.

Elon is doing as he is wont to do, as many before him were wont to do, and many hence will be wont to do, and as they should and can do. And it helps everyone.

Last edited:
That part tells me everything I need to know about her. Anytime someone refers to people who support Tesla as cultists, fanbois, Koolaid drinkers, etc, or calling Elon "fraudboy", I just totally disregard anything else they have to say. I mean really, what is so wrong about loving my Model S, eagerly anticipating my Model 3, and supporting the ONLY company that is building such compelling EV's???

When it comes to the 'Cult of Musk" - at least in the context of Tesla - I think it is important to remember the enthusiasm of the people who leased GM's EV1. When GM realized that their EV1 was not going to make them any money and destroyed all EV1s, the people who had to give them back reacted very strongly.

So I like to think that a good deal of the enthusiasm that is found around Tesla is not just because of Elon Musk, but simply because (with the advent of lithium-ion batteries) the electrical car is an inherently better car.

I’m not sure if this has been posted but a bit weird that a testing agency would invite the media and then put the Model S up against another car. No testing protocol were shared and they used a 2015 Tesla vs a 2018 Volvo. Tesla is now investigating the test through VIN number access.

Tesla Model S fails auto braking test, Tesla questions validity of the test

This test was done in Luxembourg, I presume Germany...

Last edited:
That could very well be true. They could have thought they were under 200K until the lawyers checked the regulation and evaluated vehicles with unusual dispositions. They may have found that they need to build a unassailable case for being under 200K on 6/30.
I strongly suspect they are currently auditing those numbers and building a rock-solid case. They don't want to have the IRS come back to them and say "nope, you did go over 200K".

Who knows, maybe they did blow it -- but they were certainly trying to stay under, and I think they probably did.

I think calling "I don't know" a useless response is being a bit excessive. It's at least honest, and that's better than most who comment on the company / stock. She might be unfamiliar with the details, so makes potentially incorrect conclusions from the little information she has, but if she hasn't been actually following the company, that's fine - her response of IDK is appropriate. At most I would ding her for not more clearly stating she isn't familiar with it so her incredulity at sustaining/growing weekly output could be given clearer context.
Perhaps I gave off the wrong connotations. From her responses, I respect her. I'm just saying that her incredulity is, well, uninformed.

I’m not sure if this has been posted but a bit weird that a testing agency would invite the media and then put the Model S up against another car. No testing protocol were shared and they used a 2015 Tesla vs a 2018 Volvo. Tesla is now investigating the test through VIN number access.

Tesla Model S fails auto braking test, Tesla questions validity of the test

This test was done in Luxembourg, I presume Germany...
I commented further on this in the "Articles re Tesla - Fact or Fiction" thread. This so-called "test" has multiple hallmarks of a deliberate hit piece. Using a 2015 Tesla with the no-longer-updated Autopilot 1 is the most obvious. (In 2015, Volvo's cars were smashing into humans at their own PR party advertising self-driving.) The fact that AEB in the 2015 Tesla is specifically advertised to "reduce the severity of impacts" and "NOT to prevent crashes", and that the 2015 Tesla *did* reduce the severity of the impact, but that it was reported as a "failed test", is a subtler form of dishonesty.

Perhaps I gave off the wrong connotations. From her responses, I respect her. I'm just saying that her incredulity is, well, uninformed.

Sure, IDK itself implies uninformed . ;)
Some people stop at IDK, some give an opinion anyway...
Without data, the idea of a 3x increase in production in 2 months would challenge anyone's credulity.

For instance, my credulity is severely challenged by the ghost I am about to address....

A simple "We expect to make our 200,000th US delivery Q3" would help the stock and assuage Wall St concerns.

Doing so would open them up to much displeasure if they were contradicted by the IRS.
There is no benefit to Tesla for making an uncertain claim when they will have real data shortly and there is no advantage to stating the prediction.

Did they comment on the 200k mark in Q1? Have they ever said that the plan was to stockpile inventory?

If Q1 production had gone better, they likely would have gone with 200k in Q2. Untill the actual production rates were known, the plan was in flux. No gain to Tesla to say any more than required.

This is a major talking point for the shorts (and even a WSJ reporter). If Elon wants to deliver the "short burn of the century," shouldn't it have been easy to just kill this talking point

Why on earth would Elon want to kill short's talking points? The more they self rationalize Tesla's failure, by whatever means, the more they act to cause the burn. He knows whar's what, he doesn't need affirmation. If Tesla is not doing a cap raise, the SP is largely irrelevant. Whereas the more times shorts transfer shares to longs, the larger the spike hammered through the heart of FUDzilla.

Status
Not open for further replies.