Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we've been trying to psycho-analyze this for a week now and gotten absolutely nowhere. If there's one thing I've gleaned from this, it's that none of us have any idea what Elon is thinking at any given moment. But Elon is a human and he will make mistakes, so maybe tweeting about the "short burn of the century" will be remembered as one of those someday.
Remember "pie in the face"?

He's trying to get them to pile in by warning them that their positions are about to explode? I don't buy it. I still think he was very surprised to see the SP fall drastically after reporting Tesla hit 5k/wk, which influenced him going after the media.

FWIW, I'm still holding out for the slither of hope he'll report big news soon that will cause such a short explosion. But I don't think it will actually happen now (hope I'm wrong). Surely he wouldn't expect 5k/wk would have done that, though, hmm....

The day after Tesla released the 5k number the stock opened at $360 and went up to $364 in short order. Within 30 minutes of trading CNBC invited some very questionable low performing analysts to bash the stock. I would be complaining about it as well if I were Elon.

I can’t sleep and it’s the weekend, so I’ll go offtopic for a bit. Sue me.

Is that because its velocity is a bit higher than a stationary orbit?
That would just put it in a higher stationary orbit.

The real reason is that the Earth-Moon system is not made of point masses, but of one big pile of rocks and water, and a second, smaller pile of rocks. Both piles spin around their own axes and orbit each other. The spin of the Earth around its own axis is slightly impeded by the presence of the Moon, whose gravity acts as a brake slowing the Earth’s rotation down. (The Earth acts the same way on the Moon, and because the Earth is much more massive, this stopped the Moon’s spin completely relatively to the Earth — which is why the Moon always presents the same side to us. This is called tidal locking.)

However, the action of the Moon acting as a brake on the Earth rotation can be seen, symmetrically, as the Earth trying, and succeeding, to accelerate the Moon going around the Earth. This tidal transfer of rotational energy from the Earth to the Moon leads to the orbit of the Moon getting higher over time. As I said above, it also contributes to the slowing down of the Earth’s rotation, which translates to the day lengthening every year by about 2ms. However, only a small part of that 2ms slowdown corresponds to the energy lost to accelerating the Moon; most of the slowdown is due to the energy lost as heat during the bulging of the oceans (what we call the tides) and the same action on the rocky part of the Earth (we don’t see the rocky tides, but you can think of it as ‘rock-crushing’, which dissipates heat).

Bottom line, the Moon gets higher and our day gets longer due to the tidal interaction between the Earth and the Moon.

(Summarized from Wikipedia. A detailed and intuitive explanation can be found here.)

Last edited:
This is really off topic! ;=) It's because the rotational energy of the earth (1 rpd (rotation per day) is gradually speeding up the angular momentum of the moon. But more energy actually boosts the moon to a higher orbit, which takes longer to make a full orbit. One of the many counter-intuitive things about orbital mechanics.

It is so refreshing being around people smarter than one is. Like graduate school when I could drink two 64oz pitchers arguing books with historians, a philosopher, a religion candidate, some future teachers of political theory, and some economists, over a two or three hour period and be the designated driver because we had a VW van. Later a lot of books I taught in class but hadn't read. Sometimes students would challenge what I said so I read the books and my buddies were always right. Must have been the beer.

This is really off topic! ;=) It's because the rotational energy of the earth (1 rpd (rotation per day) is gradually speeding up the angular momentum of the moon. But more energy actually boosts the moon to a higher orbit, which takes longer to make a full orbit. One of the many counter-intuitive things about orbital mechanics.

Mod: can we move this to the astrophysics thread please :D

A quick question: when could we know if Tesla has reached the 200k limit for full tax rebate for sure? Thanks!
Interesting question. Tesla could make an announcement, which would be the earliest we would know for sure. Or, it's possible we'll get no information until the IRS updates its instructions for 2018 tax returns, which could happen as late as next *March*. I think that would confuse a lot of people so I hope that isn't what will happen.

Interesting thread on Twitter where a bear (Jin SEO) asks Cate Long (not sure who she is, but she seems quite level headed and respected) about her opinion on Tesla's balance sheet. She indicates it shows a need to restructure or recapitalize. The really interesting part to me is the next couple of tweets, where Tesla4Everman brings up the effect of increasing model 3 sales from 18k in Q2 to 65k in Q3. She responds that ramping at that rate seems unrealistic. But, does it? To me it seems quite achievable, especially With 11k model 3 in transit from Q2. I will be a little disappointed if Tesla produces under 60,000 for Q3. Given the 11k in transit from Q2, I expect sales of 60k+. I'm sure that does sound nearly impossible to those who aren't following Tesla closely. I think the market is likely in for a surprise with Q3 sales numbers. Thoughts?
Cate Long seems like a reasonable person who is not paying much attention to Tesla operations. She basically uses argument-from-incredulity to justify her claim that Tesla will need to recapitalize. Never a good argument.

If others are thinking this way, it seems that Q3 delivery numbers will surprise the market. Based on known operations, 65K deliveries are a low-end guess; I'd say 69K is a high-end guess.

When asked whether the likely scenario would mean that Tesla didn't need to raise capital, her response was a rather useless "IDK" (I don't know). We of course have people doing this modeling here. The wild card is margins -- we're not really sure what Tesla's current cost structure is -- but a low-end guess would be over $300 million in incremental quarterly profits, and a high-end guess over $600 million.

If Tesla Energy has also successfully gotten some economies of scale, that would also be incremental profits. Service costs might have gone up though.

I linked to this article in the general discussion thread earlier: Business Reporter Linette Lopez on Money, Power, and Making It on Wall Street

If you read the entire article you could conclude, as I have, that Linette has a huge ego.

Another interesting comment by her in that article: "I have to be very careful about protecting the identities of my sources, especially in the hedge fund space, because they could get in big trouble with their employers. I write a lot of analysis and opinion, so I don’t usually quote people, which is lucky." I suspect she would claim that all of her "anti-tesla" articles are simply analysis or opinion, as opposed to "journalism" in the classic sense.

During my google dive into Linette, I found this very interesting (read: discouraging) article about shorter Andrew Left: The Bounty Hunter of Wall Street
As described in the article, Left was attacking a company called Express Scripts on twitter, and then waiting to see if the stock price dropped.
"Finally the corrected version of the tweet came out from Left’s handle, @CitronResearch, followed moments later by another: “When @RealDonaldTrump goes after $ESRX,” it read, using the ticker symbol for Express Scripts, “heads will roll.” We sat back and waited, eyes on CNBC. Twenty minutes passed. Suddenly a news flash interrupted the show. “Express Scripts shares are falling sharply on a spike in volume,” the anchor said. “Citron Research, run by Andrew Left, tweeted about the stock. They’re now down by 9 or 10 percent, about 9.2 million shares so far.” Left’s tweet appeared in the corner of the screen. In the office, the atmosphere went taut.

We watched as the stock came down, dollar after dollar, from 75 to 74 to 73; 72, 71, 70. Left wrote two more tweets, including a promise to appear on television with further revelations. Soon, the phone started ringing — reporters calling. Linette Lopez from Business Insider texted for quotes."​

I am sure that Linette knows lots of shorts other than Chanos.

That's very interesting. Mr. Left is clearly guilty of market manipulation. His tweet was based on nothing: Trump actually didn't go after Express Scripts.

He's right about the "pharmacy benefit managers" kickback business model, but I've known that since the 1990s. But he doesn't distribute well-sourced, accurate information, or even speculation: he distributes misleading claims intended to manipulate the market, and sensationalizes his claims to get attention. From the article:

In Hong Kong, the Securities and Futures Commission sued Left for “false and misleading claims,” a failure to adequately support his accusations with evidence. The judge found him guilty and barred him from trading on the Chinese markets for five years.

Later, Left sent out a hit piece attacking Valeant, which was fraudulent, but he *got the fraud wrong*.
Just as Enron established shell companies to inflate its balance sheets, he wrote, Valeant maintained a network of “ghost ship” pharmacies designed to buy product that no one had actually ordered, a form of fraud known as channel stuffing. Left’s explanation would turn out to be inaccurate — the real fraud, if anything, was more tangled
There were actually kickbacks going on -- and no channel stuffing.

Cate Long seems like a reasonable person who is not paying much attention to Tesla operations. She basically uses argument-from-incredulity to justify her claim that Tesla will need to recapitalize. Never a good argument.

If others are thinking this way, it seems that Q3 delivery numbers will surprise the market. Based on known operations, 65K deliveries are a low-end guess; I'd say 69K is a high-end guess.

When asked whether the likely scenario would mean that Tesla didn't need to raise capital, her response was a rather useless "IDK" (I don't know). We of course have people doing this modeling here. The wild card is margins -- we're not really sure what Tesla's current cost structure is -- but a low-end guess would be over $300 million in incremental quarterly profits, and a high-end guess over $600 million.

If Tesla Energy has also successfully gotten some economies of scale, that would also be incremental profits. Service costs might have gone up though.

I think if someone starts a response with IDK, I feel the following conversation should be taken as low basis opionion and not a well grounded heartfelt position on the subject...

That's very interesting. Mr. Left is clearly guilty of market manipulation. His tweet was based on nothing: Trump actually didn't go after Express Scripts.

He's right about the "pharmacy benefit managers" kickback business model, but I've known that since the 1990s. But he doesn't distribute well-sourced, accurate information, or even speculation: he distributes misleading claims intended to manipulate the market, and sensationalizes his claims to get attention. From the article:

Later, Left sent out a hit piece attacking Valeant, which was fraudulent, but he *got the fraud wrong*.

There were actually kickbacks going on -- and no channel stuffing.
So, Mr Left is not Right -- again. Talk about lemons.

It's because the tidal forces cause the oceans to bulge which has the affect of gradually transferring the Earth's angular momentum into the rotational pair angular momentum Orbit of the Moon - Wikipedia (see the tidal section), this accelerates the moons orbital velocity which pushes it further away. This is why the long term average of TSLA stock is upward. (Just to keep this OT:))

The latest study about China Auto market indicate that ICE sales already peak out in 2017. China EV market will enter development period from 2021. By year 2030, EV vs ICE ratio will be 50/50. Best timing for @Tesla Shanghai Gigafactory investment.

here is my tweet with link : vincent on Twitter

The 50/50 ratio in 2030 is with regard to total cars on the road or to new registrations? The latter I guess...

Reactions: neroden and wipster
He's trying to get them to pile in by warning them that their positions are about to explode? I don't buy it. I still think he was very surprised to see the SP fall drastically after reporting Tesla hit 5k/wk, which influenced him going after the media.
I think it's fair to say that most of us were very surprised to see the stock fall so dramatically following the confirmation from Tesla that they were able to indeed hit their guidance of 5,000/week by the end of Q2. I believe the initial market reaction was accurate and appropriate for the production achievement, though it was obviously amplified by some squeezing of shorts. The analysts then shifted the narrative from a positive reaction to the production achievement instead to a bearish focus on the deliveries miss from consensus, predictions of the 5,000 not being sustainable, and gross margins being negatively affected by the extra expense of the intense push for 5,000. Momentum traders sold off, shorts saw weakness and opened new positions, and the momentum swung hard in the downward direction. Once Tesla demonstrates sustained production of 5,000, one of these new bearish arguments will be crossed off, which will almost certainly send the stock back up to $350+. Analysts will then focus on profitability. At this point they are questioning whether Tesla can be profitable. Once Tesla demonstrates profitability in Q3 and Q4, the analysts will shift to the concern that it is not sustainable. IMO, all of this is likely to amplify volatility rather than create a sudden short squeeze.

I think it's fair to say that most of us were very surprised to see the stock fall so dramatically following the confirmation from Tesla that they were able to indeed hit their guidance of 5,000/week by the end of Q2.

Again, I think you're looking at the wrong metric.

Wall St isn't going to care about a single week output. They aren't going to care about "capacity."

Wall St cares about results, and the results weren't great.
  • They only delivered 18440 Model 3s, or 1420/week.
  • They have a record number of cars in transit and admitted to logistics problems in places like Norway.
  • S and X deliveries, which are supposed to be funding Model 3 CapEx, are down yoy.
The Q2 balance sheet and income statement are looking grim. Huge inventory resulting in lower cash and bad earnings.

That's why the "5000/week" goal is kinda weird. What is significant about being able to pump out 5000 in a week?

Question for Q2 call: why were deliveries below 1700/week? (This is what's tanking the stock price)

Again, I think you're looking at the wrong metric.

Wall St isn't going to care about a single week output. They aren't going to care about "capacity."

Wall St cares about results, and the results weren't great.
  • They only delivered 18440 Model 3s, or 1420/week.
  • They have a record number of cars in transit and admitted to logistics problems in places like Norway.
  • S and X deliveries, which are supposed to be funding Model 3 CapEx, are down yoy.
The Q2 balance sheet and income statement are looking grim. Huge inventory resulting in lower cash and bad earnings.

That's why the "5000/week" goal is kinda weird. What is significant about being able to pump out 5000 in a week?

Question for Q2 call: why were deliveries below 1700/week? (This is what's tanking the stock price)

And when the answer (which any analyst paying attention should know) is: "Duh... we were stockpiling to time our 200K delivery with the beginning of Q3 for customer tax benefit purposes. That means an extra 10K+ cars will get delivered in Q3", what will the brilliant Wall St. geniuses say?

Status
Not open for further replies.