Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My time horizon is 10 years, not one, but Elon boxed himself in with his aggressive targets for 3 production and now he's looking at not having enough capital to make it to the finish line. He needs to put up or shut up at this point because all of his production targets are fantasy and he's wasting the goodwill and capital of his investors. I am a patient man but I don't blame anyone who isn't at this point.

We are close to the same price as Feb 1st 2014, when Tesla was selling just a few Model S vehicles (No X, 3, solar, or battery storage, and no Gigafactory 1 and 2). WTF?!?
Buy and hold for the last 4 years hasn't worked out too well.
If you dollar cost averaged over 2014-2016 you'd probably have average cost in the low $200s. I understand that the recent dip is very emotional for a lot of people, especially those with trades that have time limits. Buy and hold is the exact opposite of that, it trains you to leave emotion out of investing, and not try to time things. That approach is exactly how one avoids getting killed in dips like this.

We are close to the same price as Feb 1st 2014, when Tesla was selling just a few Model S vehicles (No X, 3, solar, or battery storage, and no Gigafactory 1 and 2). WTF?!?
Buy and hold for the last 4 years hasn't worked out too well.
It goes up, it comes down. My 5 yr anniversary is coming up in a few weeks and I'm still here, long (longing for my M3) -- stock only.

Reactions: gene and EinSV
"The decline is continuing Wednesday, with Tesla's 5.30% notes down to a price of $87.75, which results in a yield to maturity of 7.49%. "

Uhh.. Where do I get me some of these? (Are these exchange traded?)

The notes were only sold " to qualified institutional buyers pursuant to Rule 144A under the Securities Act of 1933, as amended (the “ Securities Act ”), and outside the United States to non-U.S. persons pursuant to Regulation S under the Securities Act. "

Also, Tesla has been settling the 2018 note early redemptions/warrants and bought PERBIX with shares " exempt from registration provided by Rule 4(a)(2) of the Securities Act."

FINRA is showing the 2019 and 2021 convertible notes trading under par again.

I was expecting Tesla to offer a follow-on common share offering between March 21st when approval of Elon's compensation package was announced and the 1st Quarter delivery 8k in early April. That window is essentially closed.

• Funny
Reactions: wanaxnow
There doesn't appear to be any reason for shorts to cover yet. No fear that this stock is suddenly going up because there just don't seem to be many buyers. Perhaps that attitude will change as we head into close tomorrow. With the new quarter starting next week and possible good news coming out over the weekend regarding model 3 production, it would surprise me if we don't see some covering into the close tomorrow.

More FUD from BI. Now Tesla's problem is too much automation. It cannot be done that way apparently and humans are needed. Sounds suspiciously like rockets *have* to be expendable.

The robots are killing Tesla

But what if rockets start landing and automation works. You can tune the machines to go at 10x the speed. You cannot do that with humans. Whatever.

Hmm. The interest rate on my loaned shares at Fidelity went UP from 0.625% to 0.75% this morning, which suggests a net increase in shorting. I wonder if your shares will be loaned out again soon ....

Interesting it certainly is possible. That or my non-loaned shares were loaned out and Fidelity is just consolidating the position and re-doing the rate. Either way:

Stay strong everyone

Reactions: Richard007 and gene
There doesn't appear to be any reason for shorts to cover yet. No fear that this stock is suddenly going up because there just don't seem to be many buyers. Perhaps that attitude will change as we head into close tomorrow. With the new quarter starting next week and possible good news coming out over the weekend regarding model 3 production, it would surprise me if we don't see some covering into the close tomorrow.
So it won't happen for sure until next week then. Always expect a delay.

So was thinking... Model 3 delays because of a paucity of buyers of rear drive long range version is forcing Tesla to tool up for D and other (performance? smaller battery?) versions earlier than they assumed necessary?

I mean, already have a Model S Rear Drive from 2013. Only reason I am not going to continue to drive this non auto pilot, original seats, no folding mirrors amazing car for the next ten years or more is lack of all wheel drive. So yeah, I am waiting to order and have been for a while now. No doubt they still have plenty of orders to fill but based on pass rate maybe they saw that they needed to get other versions out much sooner than they had hoped.

So was thinking... Model 3 delays because of a paucity of buyers of rear drive long range version is forcing Tesla to tool up for D and other (performance? smaller battery?) versions earlier than they assumed necessary?

I mean, already have a Model S Rear Drive from 2013. Only reason I am not going to continue to drive this non auto pilot, original seats, no folding mirrors amazing car for the next ten years or more is lack of all wheel drive. So yeah, I am waiting to order and have been for a while now. No doubt they still have plenty of orders to fill but based on pass rate maybe they saw that they needed to get other versions out much sooner than they had hoped.
I'm still yet to see any evidence of "a paucity of buyers of rear drive long range version". The only logic that I've seen is people suspect this because of the rumor that Tesla is tooling up D. So this is basically circular logic now. Tesla is tooling AWD because they're not selling the RWD because they're tooling AWD... :rolleyes:

This is not about the shorts anymore. They can crow mission accomplished. This is about buyers stepping in. Shorts will cover when they see buying. Most professional shorts have been taking profits all the way down. Shorts are definitely not of the sell and hold mentality. Not the good ones anyway.

Reactions: Snapdragon III
This is not about the shorts anymore. They can crow mission accomplished. This is about buyers stepping in. Shorts will cover when they see buying. Most professional shorts have been taking profits all the way down. Shorts are definitely not of the sell and hold mentality. Not the good ones anyway.

This will happen as they catch on to Elons statement that revenue from Energy sector will ba ramped up big time. Probably the easter-egg we are wondering about for this ER. http://files.shareholder.com/downlo...A-CB3CDC1B919F/TSLA_Update_Letter_2017-4Q.pdf

Last edited:
I'm still yet to see any evidence of "a paucity of buyers of rear drive long range version". The only logic that I've seen is people suspect this because of the rumor that Tesla is tooling up D. So this is basically circular logic now. Tesla is tooling AWD because they're not selling the RWD because they're tooling AWD... :rolleyes:

BTW, Canada invites in Troy's sheet shows ~50% buying the RWD model instead of deferring. Hardly a sign of "a paucity of buyers"

current-gif.289891

Reactions: zmarty and Big Earl

Don't misunderstand. I have no doubt they still have plenty of orders to fill as is. They are definitely selling the RWD. But if you see an ever larger queue of your reserved buyers waiting for other versions, you are forced to start tooling for that earlier than you had anticipated. You can't start taking all new buyers off the street for the current version (of which I am sure they could find plenty). You will end up with an angry base that has been waiting for years. So you respond accordingly based on the demand in the queue. Suddenly, you have line shutdowns for tinkering and tooling that have little to do with producing the current version.

Status
Not open for further replies.