Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Indeed. Keller was a Tesla vice president in charge of designing the Autopilot chip, not "head" or "chief" of Autopilot as headlined in the media.

Incorrect. He was head of Autopilot. See Tesla hires deep learning expert Andrej Karpathy to lead Autopilot vision

Tesla statement to Techcrunch said:
Andrej will work closely with Jim Keller, who now has overall responsibility for Autopilot hardware and software.

This is a big set back (again) for the Autopilot program. Don't kid yourself.

Kurt, I agree completely. Now as a side note, and this is coming from a good place. I clicked on the link to your website and all I can say is that 90's called and theyre asking for the designs back. You should look into updating it, unless of course you dont care about it anymore.

Oy, there is no blinking text, loads fast, good enough for me.

Slightly NSFW:
xkcd: 2009 Called

This is a big set back (again) for the Autopilot program. Don't kid yourself.

I disagree with you there. 99% of the challenge with FSD is in the software. They already have cars on the road with the NVidia hardware that can do the neural net number-crunching. Keller's departure would have virtually zero effect on that.

Tesla is working on their own chip to:
1) In-house their own hardware to keep prices down
2) Reduce dependency on someone else
3) Improve the capability of the chip.

Having said that, if Tesla never made their own chip, it wouldn't slow down the autopilot program at all. They just would have to keep using NVidia's hardware, or whoever else supplies them.

Reactions: landis
Looks like Keller was promoted to oversee both AP SW and HW when Lattner left and Karpathy joined (June 2017). Maybe that was just temporary until Karpathy can take over?

Either way, I don't mind having Karpathy in the driver's seat. Dude has a great reputation in the AI field (especially with vision), and seems to love what he does.

If you don't follow his Tweets, I recommend it just to see how much he's into coding and AI stuff.

Reactions: madodel
This is (obviously) highly speculative and sounds like wishful thinking from a bearish perspective.
It's never good when an executive leaves. New one needs to find his bearings, build relationships etc. Lots of work that executives do is less tangible than hardcore Engineering stuff and adjustments take time.
Having said that, it's possible that Keller is an average/mediocre executive and genius chip designer, and he goes from one interesting project to another, bringing much value to the project, but little to the organization. If this was the case, no big deal. But, if he was an effective executive, this is going to hurt.

Clearly his deep concern for our financial health. Just a good Samaritan doing his duty.

Seems to be a strange forum here, please excuse me for not asking for your permissions before posting.

I am mainly interested in Tesla cars but am also a private investor looking for ideas. And exchanging opinions is what makes a forum what it is. Why are differing opinions treated so negatively here...?

Keller was hired as the head of the hardware side. Later, he added management of the software side.

Let's ask ourselves if Autopilot today is any better than it was when Sterling Anderson left.

The software side is vastly more important to Tesla than the hardware side. This is the secret sauce that cannot be replicated easily if at all. The chip is icing on the cake and likely will be impacted, but not prevented by Keller leaving. Karpathy's team is much more critical to success.

Keller leaving is not a positive, but he has been with Tesla long enough to establish a fully functioning team. It would be interesting to understand the true reason for his move. He does have a pattern of moving on once he has accomplished a task for a company.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drax7 and bdy0627
Seems to be a strange forum here, please excuse me for not asking for your permissions before posting.

I am mainly interested in Tesla cars but am also a private investor looking for ideas. And exchanging opinions is what makes a forum what it is. Why are differing opinions treated so negatively here...?
Different opinions from people with the intent to share ideas and enhance investing wisdom are welcome. Recommending caution regarding investing in TSLA is ok too, but to do that as a brand spanking new member without providing a substantial explanation for your position is not going to be well-received.

Most of the people who are true believers. I think the best use of this site is to try to find a bull argument that makes sense. I haven't so far, but I'm still listening.

Last edited:
Different opinions from people with the intent to share ideas and enhance investing wisdom are welcome. Recommending caution regarding investing in TSLA is ok too, but to do that as a brand spanking new member without providing a substantial explanation for your position is not going to be well-received.
Yeah. You wouldn't be the first short who joined the board to try to spread FUD, Oldman.

But maybe you're not a short - then I'd recommend adding something more substantial than "The chart looks ugly and the news flow negative."

Reactions: bdy0627 and EinSV

Exactly. Most of us have been investing in and researching Tesla for a long time. Warnings to "be careful" and similar are not needed. If you have data to share that's always welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.