Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahhh, from the FT (Subscribe to read | Financial Times):

That helped to push shares as much 8.5 per cent higher at the time, extending gains that came in the wake of a Financial Times report that Saudi Arabia’s sovereign wealth fund had taken a stake in the company of between 3 per cent and 5 per cent.

Mr Musk’s tweet caused some confusion. His suggested buyout price of $420 had many followers on the social media platform thinking his message was a joke, as the number is term popular among marijuana smokers.

However, in subsequent responses to questions on the social media platform, Mr Musk tweeted: “Shareholders could either to sell at 420 or hold shares & go private”.

He added: “My hope is *all* current investors remain with Tesla even if we’re private. Would create special purpose fund enabling anyone to stay with Tesla. Already do this with Fidelity’s SpaceX investment.”

Mr Musk also said he was “super appreciative of Tesla shareholders” and “Will ensure their prosperity in any scenario”.​

To those saying "I hope this kills the shorts!"

It won't... There will be a lot of people willing to sell us a share at $425.

Elon just capped short losses.
It is with a hint of schadenfreude that I have to break it to you, you're more screwed than you seem to think. The problem (for you) is that there are more shares of TSLA outstanding than there are in the market cap. You're still going to have to buy-to-close, in a market with a lot less liquidity than it currently has. It is entirely possible that the market price goes higher than $420 before the deal settles, and there's no guarantee that the deal will happen at only $420 either... I still expect it to go higher.

Long time ago Elon hinted to have a special fund so investors can stay in this private company. I was buying shares like mad but suddenly the third batch couldn't go through.

I think Elon is serious about taking it private. We will vote on it. Longs can stay as private investors. This is the best case for me. Now the question is how to get more shares before the vote. I wouldn't hesitate to buy more at $800 so I can get more private shares.

I sure hope my broker can return my shares that they lent to the short sellers...
My take on this: If you are participating in a "fully paid" lending program (i.e you own your shares, no margin) then your contract is with your broker not with whomever they loaned the shares to. Your broker is obligated to return your shares. The only way you would lose is if the broker went under, in which case you would only receive the collateral the brokerage has set aside and you would miss out on any gains in share price beyond what they'd provided collateral. I can't speak to how it works for margin accounts.

Would someone else like to chime in and correct me if I'm mistaken?

• Helpful
Reactions: Ulmo
CNBC had Jeffrey Sonnenfeld - who is a current work colleague of Jim Chanos at Yale - on the channel right now, trying to throw shade on this going private thing.

He is getting his math wrong. He is thinking the transaction is going to require $80 billion and wonders where that is going to come from.

Colin Rusch pointed out about half an hour ago on the same channel that a great deal less money is required to effect the transaction, if current shareholders like me) come along for the ride and are brought into the "special fund."

But of course, Jeffrey Sonnenfeld will do his best to ignore that.

Status
Not open for further replies.