Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Similarly, he knew the Model 3 would be a hit and could be made. This is what a CEO needs to be able to do, and screw timelines, that's only something you know after the fact anyway, for any reasonably complex high-tech project. Any manager who says they can keep timelines is either lying or is wasting money.
I'm completely on-board with you here!
I also need you to talk to my Director of Product Management (and some of the Sales people). :)
Damn, every company I get in, I have to have this battle anew...

Here in Belgium, there's no EV incentive - well maybe some regional ones, but generally not. All cars are taxed based on their CO² emissions, which I think is the same model in much of Europe. Seems a very fair approach to me.

I wouldn't say that as Flanders covers 60% of the population and:

Premie voor een nieuw zero-emissie-voertuig

upload_2018-9-12_16-1-55.png

as well as no (annual) road tax nor registration tax

edit: for private; business is explained above.

Here in Belgium, there's no EV incentive - well maybe some regional ones, but generally not. All cars are taxed based on their CO² emissions, which I think is the same model in much of Europe. Seems a very fair approach to me.

Where Tesla struggle without incentives is in countries like Denmark, where cars attract a 250% tax markup. This makes a Tesla incredibly expensive, so when they removed the incentive the sales went close to zero. But what you need to realize, is that all other cars of comparable price, to the Audi 16's, BMW 7's, etc., are also stupid-expensive and people don't by these either, so it's not a matter of Teslas not being wanted, just that 99.9% of the population can't afford them.

Being originally from Denmark, I know about the unique Danish vehicle 'registration tax' (+ 25% VAT).

But I am not really interested in discussing here how EV-incentives are and should be used as a political instrument.

What I do consider relevant for this thread is how Tesla can leverage actual, existing BEV-incentives to maximize their revenue. The idea is that if country A has an incentive of amount X and country B has zero incentive and Tesla is production constrained, then by selling their production mostly to country A rather than B will tend to increase their revenue (in the form of purchased options) more or less by amount X per vehicle sold. This is especially relevant since some of Tesla's options are purely software, for which the added revenue comes at basically zero additional cost.

Many of us have e.g. predicted how 2018H2 would see very limited export of the Model 3, one reason being to benefit maximally from the US federal tax credit (regardless of how one could wish it should be implemented/extended whatever).

PS. The sales of Tesla in Denmark dropped dramatically because Denmark used to exempt BEVs from the gigantic 'registration tax' (I believe 180% at the time), and then announced that they would completely abolish this incentive. So anyone who had any chance at all bought their Tesla while they could. I believe the following year saw 2 Tesla registrations in Denmark, both to a Tesla store. That's why the sales of Tesla dropped so hard, not because rich people don't buy them, they just didn't want to pay close to triple the price of the previous years. My Audi A8 would in Denmark have cost about 330k€ from new so it attracted quite a few stares.

Last edited:
The 120% isn't because of EV, it's because of CO², no? So a FCH could get it too, in theory?

And OK, although the deductibility reduces to 100%, it also reduces for polluting cars, so it's not removing an EV subsidy.

That's how I understood it.

And plenty of time before 2020 for the tax authorities to change their minds, as they do...
Indeed, the incentives are for any vehicle that doensn't produce C02. I just don't count FCH or other vehicles as they will never make it to mass market. BEV is clearly the way forward after the diesel/gasoline era.

Just wanted to point out to non-Belgian TMC members that in Belgium there are incentives by the government to purchase EV's for some people. (Businesses and leasing fleets are a huge part of the Belgian car fleet).

Reactions: neroden
seems like market doesn’t care what Romit Shah of instanet thinks. I’m surprised by this bump...what’s the reason...beginning of institutions piling on before q3 delivery report?

I think his excuses for bailing on the stock were lame fwiw.

So it looks like Ben Kallo will be The big winner when this is all done. Only guy who stuck with Tesla

Reactions: bdy0627
OK, back to market action... $TSLA bossing it right now, why's that? Obviously is was over-sold, we know this, but anything else?

Or maybe everyone watched Romit on Bloomberg and realized he was talking out the wrong end?

hmm, maybe

- oversold,

- these tours really did have some very encouraging nuggets, and not just the headline item Tesla to achieve leading $100/kWh battery cell cost this year, says investor after Gigafactory 1 tour

- some investors continuing to move in re Jerome G’s promotion to head Automotive, which is something of a reassurance re Elon having been overstretched

- very very speculative, but, perhaps some SEC investigation results are known by some

Status
Not open for further replies.