Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tsunami update (of hurt)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok before I have stated not in short squeeze but now it starts. The stock is no longer trading on company fundamentals. If you look at mid day volume dropped dramatically and price stayed constant. Flat line. Covering without raising price. Very few shares shaken loose. Later only way to buy more was dramatic rise in price. No where near enough shares sold to cover. We'd evening must be looking very scary to shorts as price approaches 60. Expect more of same tomorrow perhaps accelerating as report approaches. I like tsunami analogy water approaches slowly but keeps coming

I disagree, look at what Barclay's did today:

http://www.streetinsider.com/Analys...of+Q1+Print;+Upside+Case+is+$131/8306966.html

Quite a few analysts have changed their views of TSLA lately projecting a potential 3-figure company and it needs to be treated as a high growth, venture capital like investment right now.

I don't think you saw as much a squeeze as a reaction to this upgrade and the new hire announced as well as a general good feeling around the earnings and guidance.

This day certainly requires an update to the Tsunamometer:

Total short losses (based on avg. short interest of 29.48 million and 40% short interest rate):

Trading: $958 million
Interest paid: $195 million
Total losses from shorting: $1,153 million

Any way to tell what open short positions remain? I am curious how many are still holding on through the call and if it significant enough to cause a climb based on their panic alone once the numbers come out. (they are betting that they will miss badly at this point to still be hanging on I'm assuming)

Total short losses (based on avg. short interest of 29.48 million and 40% short interest rate):

Whether we call this an official squeeze yet is debatable since we don't know they are in full stampede mode yet.

Right now I see this as a nightclub fire scenario for the shorts. They're all still a bit floaty from their contact high, but they see the pyrotechnics on stage getting a bit out of hand, and they can hear the band has stopped playing. Some are looking around confused by the silence and the different smelling smoke. But the best and smartest ones are trying to quietly make their way to the door and slip out, because they know that once the rush starts nobody gets out.

of course... it would be too perfect if we got this info before the call.

I'm also being a bit cautious about the reaction to the earnings report that is due. I am starting to think that these last few runs we had are shorts covering. They can't all be that stupid and think that Wednesday will be a good day for them, can they?

I am starting to think that these last few runs we had are shorts covering. They can't all be that stupid and think that Wednesday will be a good day for them, can they?

Indeed, they’ve proven to be inept strategists, yet I reckon that many remain stubborn in their opinions. Many of them are undoubtedly still hoping that Wednesday’s announcement and Thursday’s reaction will give them a chance to say “I told you so” even if it reduces only a small portion of their losses. However, I suspect they will not be allowed even that satisfaction.

Whether we call this an official squeeze yet is debatable since we don't know they are in full stampede mode yet.

Right now I see this as a nightclub fire scenario for the shorts. They're all still a bit floaty from their contact high, but they see the pyrotechnics on stage getting a bit out of hand, and they can hear the band has stopped playing. Some are looking around confused by the silence and the different smelling smoke. But the best and smartest ones are trying to quietly make their way to the door and slip out, because they know that once the rush starts nobody gets out.

Man CO, what a metaphor! Gripping & mighty scary if you find yourself in there. Many of them are in there to make a quick score, a lot of them really love the band that kept playing "everybody KNOWS you can't produce a car company from scratch, and everybody KNOWS nobody wants an EV and if you do make one, no one will buy it and we KNOW you cant compete with the legacy brands and battery tech isn't there and if we just say the words 'range anxiety' over and over until they've lost all meaning. . . " nice song, it's easy to see why so many are in the club. The beat goes on for a while longer. We will see, I think very soon, how many of the exits aren't blocked.

I can appreciate the comparison, but being so close to the Rhode Island nightclub fire you are referring to, it's kind of in bad taste in these parts... 100 people died in that inferno: The Station nightclub fire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia