Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Turn-based Map Zooming

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Pluto

is a Planet
Nov 17, 2015
Auburn, AL
Model S and Model X cars currently have four different zoom/pan modes for navigation. There's north-up, direction-up, leg-zoom (when superchargers are in the mix), and trip-zoom.

Months ago I saw an Electrek article showing an upcoming maps feature, which (I feel) mostly provides benefit by changing the zoom level based on how close you are to the next turn in navigation: First look at Tesla’s new maps and navigation engine

I remembered it as a beta-only feature so I thought very little of this existing in the wild. Looking back now I also remember it being enabled in Taiwan, but I had no clue it also comes with Model 3's. So today I saw this video which shows some of this functionality:

And I really want it in my Model S! Anyways, thoughts anyone? Any Model 3 owners want to give a demo of the navigation app? I didn't realize there were differences in the maps app until today (besides cosmetic differences).

Pretty sure my X does this if on the "map north" or "map direction of travel" views - it automatically zooms in/out depending on the complexity of the route.
I've seen my Model S zoom in as you get closer to the destination which usually works well (since there's often a lot of freeway between source and destination) and that's the trip-zoom (or leg-zoom when routing through superchargers). I haven't seen anything else zoom in or out besides leaving a freeway or getting on a freeway. This zoom change only happens after the change though and never in anticipation of a change.

I think I’m going to miss being able to look back and forth between the isomorphic view when approaching a turn and the overall map when looking at traffic. My hope is that they’ll eventually show a turn detail in an inset of the nav map when approaching a turn.