Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Turo Doesn't Follow their Agreement with Hosts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
DO NOT RENT YOUR CAR ON TURO!!!!!

I have rented and rented out several cars on Turo. Turo go so bad with claims I pulled all vehicles.
In one case a renter smashed my car, fixed it with spray paint and junk yard parts (yes, crazy story) and returned it. Turo paid nearly nothing.

Another case they wasted a brand new rim. I had before/after pics. Turo said rims and tires are wear items.

Final straw was a girl stealing my car. Just didn't return it, wouldn't answer phone/messages. Turo refused to pay because they said the car was a salvage title vehicle. I sent them pictures of the title showing it wasn't. This is a car I had 58 rentals and high reviews on. The women returns the car some days later just leaving it at pickup point. Turo then refuses to pay for the extra days!!! WTF? After weeks of fighting they pay me .15/mile for the overage and nothing for the extra days.

They are horrible. It's not worth the risk because they will not pay. They are just a scam company at this point charging you for various levels of insurance but paying you nothing on any of them.

DO NOT RENT YOUR CAR ON TURO!!!!!

I have rented and rented out several cars on Turo. Turo go so bad with claims I pulled all vehicles.
In one case a renter smashed my car, fixed it with spray paint and junk yard parts (yes, crazy story) and returned it. Turo paid nearly nothing.

Another case they wasted a brand new rim. I had before/after pics. Turo said rims and tires are wear items.

Final straw was a girl stealing my car. Just didn't return it, wouldn't answer phone/messages. Turo refused to pay because they said the car was a salvage title vehicle. I sent them pictures of the title showing it wasn't. This is a car I had 58 rentals and high reviews on. The women returns the car some days later just leaving it at pickup point. Turo then refuses to pay for the extra days!!! WTF? After weeks of fighting they pay me .15/mile for the overage and nothing for the extra days.

They are horrible. It's not worth the risk because they will not pay. They are just a scam company at this point charging you for various levels of insurance but paying you nothing on any of them.

Precisely why I have stopped my car on Turo. When the renter did not return my car, they informed me that they capped the late fee at $400... which is about 4 hours. I asked the customer service guy, "What if they take it for a month?!?!" He said, "$400, and you can report it as stolen and deal with the cops." Totally crappy.

I've rented several Teslas on Turo and even considered listing my 500e. I treat the Teslas like they're my own, sometimes returning them in cleaner condition than when I picked them up. We've always had good experiences.

As a renter, I never use the Turo insurance, as USAA has assured me that they will cover any vehicle I'm driving... I just make sure that my uninsured motorist coverage is higher than the replacement value of the vehicle I'm driving.

I haven't actually listed the 500e yet. With just 80 miles of range, I'm pretty sure that I'd have to rescue a dead car from somewhere in DC or Baltimore in the middle of the night. That possibility just isn't worth the $50/day or whatever I would get for renting out the car.

• Informative
Reactions: Galve2000
I've rented several Teslas on Turo and even considered listing my 500e. I treat the Teslas like they're my own, sometimes returning them in cleaner condition than when I picked them up. We've always had good experiences.

As a renter, I never use the Turo insurance, as USAA has assured me that they will cover any vehicle I'm driving... I just make sure that my uninsured motorist coverage is higher than the replacement value of the vehicle I'm driving.

I haven't actually listed the 500e yet. With just 80 miles of range, I'm pretty sure that I'd have to rescue a dead car from somewhere in DC or Baltimore in the middle of the night. That possibility just isn't worth the $50/day or whatever I would get for renting out the car.

Even if USAA covers the cost of the repair realize Turo or the owner can bill you for Loss of Use during the time of the repair.

So if the car takes 6 weeks to get fixed, you may be out of pocket for the 6 week rental. Sometimes Loss of Use can be higher than the damage and your inusrance may not cover it.

Even if USAA covers the cost of the repair realize Turo or the owner can bill you for Loss of Use during the time of the repair.

So if the car takes 6 weeks to get fixed, you may be out of pocket for the 6 week rental. Sometimes Loss of Use can be higher than the damage and your inusrance may not cover it.

That's a bunch of hooey. Nobody is going to reimburse you for loss of use. Read through any Turo forum and that's the biggest gripe. You may be able to sue the renter for that, but good luck. It just does not happen.

That's a bunch of hooey. Nobody is going to reimburse you for loss of use. Read through any Turo forum and that's the biggest gripe. You may be able to sue the renter for that, but good luck. It just does not happen.

Certainly something to keep in mind.

Before you go all "hooey" I was referring to the renter being possibly charged for loss of use. I've seen such provisions in rental agreements so this may or may not apply to Turo and their terms may have changed since the last time I looked.

The point being be careful because just because your credit card may cover the damage does not mean the rental company may or may not have a provision to bill you for loss of use.

So no, I'm not here to disburse "hooey" but to inform others of provisions I have seen in car rental contracts so others know to be careful.

• Informative
Reactions: 2012MS85
Even with your credit cards, be super careful and read the fine print. Many have maximum values where if a car is above that maximum stated value, their coverage is essentially zero. Some only provide insurance for cars worth $50K, 60K, 75K, etc., Some exclude cars they call "exotic." A Tesla could easily fall through the cracks in the fine print for various exclusions.

And realize credit card insurance stipulations and fine print can change at any time.

I have a couple of high end credit cards, including Chase Sapphire Reserve, but honestly never felt comfortable counting on them knowing they can all have various exclusions and can change their programs whenever they want even if you look it up. I prefer renting from a company that provides PRIMARY insurance coverage on their own so god forbid something happens they can deal with it themselves as I've bought the insurance coverage directly from them.

When we travel, for peace of mind, we always get primary insurance from the rental company and the last time we looked into Turo, we decided not to use them because in the fine print it said their policy is SECONDARY.

My husband has his car in this week for accident damage caused by someone else and their insurance company, Allstate, arranged for a rental car for him. Since you mentioned "Exotics", I'll mention that he was told that a Tesla rental fell under that category.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 2012MS85
UPDATE: TURO "will" pay for the alignment "if" the Tesla Service Center will state the curb strike caused the alignment problem. Even though the Tesla Service Advisor told me that was the reason for the $200 alignment (i did not authorize..but would have if they call me) Tesla will "NOT" put that in writing to TURO!

Confused, when Tesla wrote the original estimate BEFORE you had any work done, they didn't state the impact required an alignment?

If it's Turo's position that it's stolen after 4 hours of being late, then why wouldn't you just go to where the car is and get it since you can see it with the app? I supose if it was locked up behind a gate or in a garage, but then you just call the cops and report it stolen and give them the location. If the cops refuse and say it isn't stolen, then Turo is completely on the hook.

I'd only rent a tesla on Turo if I had a beater Tesla that had lots of dings and scratches with high mileage.

Some friends and I bought 8 somewhat high end cars (one being a Model S) to rent out on Turo. So far everything has been great and I haven’t had a single issue, but we have not had any large claims either. Most people take pretty good care of the cars. Some of the comments above worry me but time will tell.

I decided to rent my 2017 Model S on Turo in San Francisco. First renter was last weekend. I purchased the "total coverage" most expenses TURO HOST insurance. ZERO OUT OF POCKET!. It cost 35% of the rental revenue. So I paid over $100 as the HOST for a 3 day rental for the "pease of mind". The renter drove my car to LA at speeds approaching 100 MPH (I was watching in horror on the Tesla app). On day three he returned the car to the TURO valet lot with a 7 % charge. (It could not be driven to the nearest supercharger). In the process of rushing to turn the car in the renter hit a curb with the right rear tire hard enough to bend the rim! I took my beautiful 2017 Model S to the San Rafael Tesla service center for repair. (expecting TURO would follow their contract with me). The replacement wheel was $350. Tesla said the impact damaged the alignment and strongly recommended a re-alignment..another $200. TURO called the damage "curb rash" and refused to pay!!!!!! TURO does not answer their phone or return calls. You are 100% on your own. If you are considering using TURO as a HOST I would suggest caution.
Thank you for letting us know. Sorry you had that experience. I definitely won't be using their service.

I even tried to cancel my Turo rental for tomorrow when the renter seemed extra sketchy (name came through as Mr Z, not close to his real name.

Couple thoughts. Keep in mind the if a person signs up for Turo using their Facebook login, it pulls the Facebook ID. So “Mr Z” was probably the FB ID. It’s the driver’s license you need to confirm and Turo gives you the full name after rental confirmed.

You will get people who want to deviate from the planned rental location but you don’t want to, just refuse to deviate and they will frequently cancel.

Also, many owners will not rent to first-time Turo renters because they’re untested. Of course, if you turn down requests too often, they push your listing farther down in the search results.

Last edited:
I considered Turo but have heard too many stories like this. I recently saw Hagerty started a similar service called DriveShare targeted more towards collector and enthusiast rentals so I've listed my old daily driver, an '06 911 6 speed. I anticipate a better clientele geared more towards pleasure rentals than mainstream. Also, you can set your own security deposit. After speaking with them about late model cars they would probably consider allowing a Tesla because of the novelty factor. Something to consider.

If it's Turo's position that it's stolen after 4 hours of being late, then why wouldn't you just go to where the car is and get it since you can see it with the app? I supose if it was locked up behind a gate or in a garage, but then you just call the cops and report it stolen and give them the location. If the cops refuse and say it isn't stolen, then Turo is completely on the hook.

I'd only rent a tesla on Turo if I had a beater Tesla that had lots of dings and scratches with high mileage.

So in other words, you'd only rent a CPO Tesla? :p

Arent you as the renter allowed to see the person's feedback on who your borrowing to?

Im sure Turo has a feedback system on both the borrower and renter.
I would first of all never lend a car which i wanted back clean to a borrower with low or poor feedback.

And i would also most definitely ding that guy who borrowed your car with a poor feedback letting other knows what this prick did so they can avoid grief like you did.

Reactions: Enginerd