Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Twin chargers physically included with all cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took a road trip with my car this weekend, I got my car with the twin charger option. I stopped at Sun Country CS-90 charge station which provides 75A at full load, my car would only pull 40A. I talked to Tesla Service today to try & diagnose what might be wrong (thinking that maybe they just didn't include the second charger) - Tesla Service claims that all cars manufactured to date have included the second charger, the second one has just been disabled in software for those that elected not to take the option. The service guy stated that they did this in the hopes that people would change their minds in the future.

Anybody *not* get the twin charger option and willing to do some spelunking around under their car to check this out?

It definitely sounds too good to be true. I'm especially irritated because I paid for the twin option but the second one doesn't appear to work...

I pick up mine tomorrow with no twin chargers, so, i'll take a look to see if i have a second. I hope not since I don't want the weight if it doesn't need to be there. Thats really frustrating that your high power charger doesn't work.

Also, the Performance edition has a different power inverter with a more dense wrapping of wiring. It is *not* simply a software limitation.

William just posted a pic in another thread last night that he took after removing the rear seats. I'm pretty sure it showed only a single charger. Unless this is a new decision that all cars built after a certain date are to be configured in such a way. But I doubt it. I think the message may have been mixed up. It's the supercharger hardware that is present in all vehicles and is only software limited.

It definitely sounds too good to be true. I'm especially irritated because I paid for the twin option but the second one doesn't appear to work... :cursing:
What's the 6th character in your VIN?

- - - Updated - - -

Tesla Service claims that all cars manufactured to date have included the second charger, the second one has just been disabled in software for those that elected not to take the option. The service guy stated that they did this in the hopes that people would change their minds in the future.
Sounds like even Tesla employees get the Twin Chargers vs. Supercharger options mixed up.

William just posted a pic in another thread last night that he took after removing the rear seats. I'm pretty sure it showed only a single charger. Unless this is a new decision that all cars built after a certain date are to be configured in such a way. But I doubt it. I think the message may have been mixed up. It's the supercharger hardware that is present in all vehicles and is only software limited.

Here?
rear seat / cushion removal with pictures

I see two chargers.

Edited to add: I have no reason to think he didn't order twin chargers.

Last edited:
Not true. I was at Al & Ed's yesterday picking up my car (with some cool new toys) and they has two other cars there with their rear seats removed and neither has twin chargers.

As a second data point, I was at the Toronto Service Center a couple of weeks ago when they were unpacking a large parts shipment. Included was at least one new charger unit which (I'm told) was to go into inventory for possible future upgrade orders.

The 2nd charger is not a twin but differently shaped (from reports) so the one jammed into the center position would presumably be the 2nd.
Which unit is the primary charger? I have two so it would be nice to know what's what under the seats.
--