Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tyre pressure alert this morning - all values the same?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, so as per the photo below has anyone else had similar? In all my years driving cars with TPMS I have never had an alert like this.

The weather was a balmy 2 degrees Celsius outside, and it did clear after a 40 mile commute. However, I’m wondering if it’s worth maybe topping the pressures up back to 42 when it’s cold like today so that it doesn’t flag up again.

What’s your thoughts guys?

Attachments

• B02D547B-5A37-4187-9933-DA53FF39355E.jpeg
    B02D547B-5A37-4187-9933-DA53FF39355E.jpeg
    227 KB · Views: 898
40 PSI is not very far off from the recommended 42, and I generally run 40 or 41 PSI when cold. If your TPMS was set at 42 it is probable the 2 PSI difference has tripped the warning. My M3P was at 38 this morning when cold. I pumped all corners to 40.5 and then reset the TMPS.

40 PSI is not very far off from the recommended 42, and I generally run 40 or 41 PSI when cold. If your TPMS was set at 42 it is probable the 2 PSI difference has tripped the warning. My M3P was at 38 this morning when cold. I pumped all corners to 40.5 and then reset the TMPS.

Did your car come up with the warning? I’ll go and fill up to 42 and reset TPMS at lunchtime.

Last time I got that, there was a screw in the tyre.

I find the pressures quite sensitive to temperature, so I check them every couple of weeks—more frequently if I'm doing lots of miles.

FWIW, I find the gauges on compressors inaccurate. I just bought one of these gauges with a bleed feature. I find it quicker and easier to get the pressures accurate with it.

Last time I got that, there was a screw in the tyre.

I find the pressures quite sensitive to temperature, so I check them every couple of weeks—more frequently if I'm doing lots of miles.

FWIW, I find the gauges on compressors inaccurate. I just bought one of these gauges with a bleed feature. I find it quicker and easier to get the pressures accurate with it.
Please don’t tell me that. I’ve had the car for 2 weeks and I have the worst luck with screws etc.

Please don’t tell me that. I’ve had the car for 2 weeks and I have the worst luck with screws etc.
How weird, I literally pulled a screw out of mine this morning. It initially sounded like a flat while driving, but the pressure didn't drop/ change. Parked up and saw the bugger. So far the pressure hasn't dropped but I'll be keeping an eye on it.

Hi, so as per the photo below has anyone else had similar? In all my years driving cars with TPMS I have never had an alert like this.

The weather was a balmy 2 degrees Celsius outside, and it did clear after a 40 mile commute. However, I’m wondering if it’s worth maybe topping the pressures up back to 42 when it’s cold like today so that it doesn’t flag up again.

What’s your thoughts guys?
its the cold weather + the high pressure they run at. Same happened to me. Top them up.

Reactions: NewbieT and mosraza
The old sensors use to trigger +'/- 10%, so 37-38psi would be the trigger as normal pressures were 42psi - this alert often happens this time of year as temperatures drop so a reminder just to top pressures back up when cold.

However 40psi is a bit high for this to be triggering unless normal pressures are now 45psi - I think I heard that it was on newer cars, possibly to achieve better range rating.

You do not need to reset the TPMS as it is factory set at the correct pressure - at least the original ones were. The only need to reset is if running a set of tyres where the factory default is not being used - such as a track day.

Reactions: spdpsba
If it's the 2021 model what pressure does the manual / door pillar sticker say your tyres should be?

I have the 2020 model and mine is often 39 first thing in the morning in winter, but I have never had a warning pop up (mine is supposedly meant to be at 41/42). You used to be able to select the type of tyre installed in the menu somewhere, have you maybe got the wrong tyre config selected? (No clue if that actually affects the sensors)

The old sensors use to trigger +'/- 10%, so 37-38psi would be the trigger as normal pressures were 42psi - this alert often happens this time of year as temperatures drop so a reminder just to top pressures back up when cold.

However 40psi is a bit high for this to be triggering unless normal pressures are now 45psi - I think I heard that it was on newer cars, possibly to achieve better range rating.

You do not need to reset the TPMS as it is factory set at the correct pressure - at least the original ones were. The only need to reset is if running a set of tyres where the factory default is not being used - such as a track day.
It was probably less than 38psi on 'startup' hence the warning.

Reactions: Adopado and GRiLLA
The reason why one has triggered and not others is because of rounding, one maybe 39.6 and the screen rounds it up to 40. Pump it up and you will be good, the cold weather will affect it. You don't (and probably shouldn't) reset the tpms, it will tell you when doing so it is only if you are replacing the tyre/wheel.

If it's the 2021 model what pressure does the manual / door pillar sticker say your tyres should be?

I have the 2020 model and mine is often 39 first thing in the morning in winter, but I have never had a warning pop up (mine is supposedly meant to be at 41/42). You used to be able to select the type of tyre installed in the menu somewhere, have you maybe got the wrong tyre config selected? (No clue if that actually affects the sensors)

The reason why one has triggered and not others is because of rounding, one maybe 39.6 and the screen rounds it up to 40. Pump it up and you will be good, the cold weather will affect it. You don't (and probably shouldn't) reset the tpms, it will tell you when doing so it is only if you are replacing the tyre/wheel.

Thanks guys. Will fill up when I’m finished work.

Can I ask why you don’t reset the TPMS? I was always of the belief you reset every time you fill up with air so it has reference values?

I'm probably the odd man out, but I believe the factory setting was 42 (assuming the factory setting was originally done at the recommended pressures). I prefer running my tyres on 40/41 so chose to reset my TPMS. This way I don't get a pressure warning when my pressures dip just below 40, as was the case when I first collected the car in 2019. In winter I swap wheels and tyres for a set of full winters on 18" rims and again set the TPMS for the pressures those are set to. Each to his/her own, but I see no harm in periodically resetting the TPMS.

I had a warning today on mine as well. As others have said, I've seen it before on cold(er) mornings, so have now put them all back to 42 at cold/rest.

However, do keep an eye out, as on at least two occasions for me, it was actually a screw in the tyre - and then new tyres!' I've spent nearly as much on tyres in 18 months as I have on electricity to charge...

Can I ask why you don’t reset the TPMS? I was always of the belief you reset every time you fill up with air so it has reference values?

The TPMS is factory set to the correct pressure for stock wheels (42psi in case of early UK Model 3's, newer may be different?). The older version of the manual explains it a little clearer, below. If you want to run at different pressure than stock, that when TPMS will need to be manually reset, but not for just topping back up to standard pressure (42psi).

1633595774061.png

Also, no need to reset the TPMS after changing wheels. We swap our wheels over (winter/summer) twice a year and the new wheels get detected and setup within a mile or so of driving - as we don't swap the rim type, we don't even need to update the wheel type when prompted. Once detected, the new tyre pressures always correctly match the pressures that the new tyres were inflated to.

The TPMS is factory set to the correct pressure for stock wheels (42psi in case of early UK Model 3's, newer may be different?). The older version of the manual explains it a little clearer, below. If you want to run at different pressure than stock, that when TPMS will need to be manually reset, but not for just topping back up to standard pressure (42psi).

View attachment 718684

Also, no need to reset the TPMS after changing wheels. We swap our wheels over (winter/summer) twice a year and the new wheels get detected and setup within a mile or so of driving - as we don't swap the rim type, we don't even need to update the wheel type when prompted. Once detected, the new tyre pressures always correctly match the pressures that the new tyres were inflated to.
I can’t find the option to reset TPMS in my 2021M3P is it in track mode for this model?

View attachment 718684

Thanks. This explains it!

I topped up to 42 psi yesterday after work in colder temps. driving around etc it went up to 44 as expected but now at least in the winter the 42 will be the reference.

Thanks again for you and everyone else’s help

Reactions: MrBadger
Can anyone recommend a good tyre inflator, have an older analogue one with a screw connector but I always find the connector not quite long enough with the aero caps on!

I have this and I would recommend it...

Available from Amazon and other stores. It's fast, robust, easily copes with higher pressure and does not trip the car 12v socket fuse. No problem with the connector.