Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tyre pressures revisited

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You could always get them purged of moisture and nitrogen filled. This will minimise the variation with temperature as some of it is to do with vapour pressure of the moisture. The Nitrogen itself wont make any difference it's the fact that it is dry and does not leak as fast (larger molecule) so needs topping up less often.

I first accepted that statement at face value but actually oxygen is a larger molecule than nitrogen so while it's likely not wise to fill tyres with pure 02 there is presumably some other reason for N2. ordinary compressed air can be dried also - in fact we're all familiar with the need for water traps/drains in compressors.

That may well be the case but it'd be nice to have the definitive answer. It also implies that one should re-adjust pressures depending on ambient temp.
Well, yeah, you do. No different from any other car. But realistically, I make seasonal adjustments, so maybe 4-6 times a year. Keeping the cold minimum at 45 psi (or whatever the equivalent is for tires other than the 19 inch ones I have) is important for wear. If the cold temp is set to 45, I rarely if ever see hot pressures over the stated maximum of 50 even on a hot day.

Got a Loaner Model S at the moment.

Right rear is showing as 39/40PSI - do I just top it up and the warning goes away or is there a way to "reset" the warning after top up??

Can't see anything in settings on the car.
Just fill it, it adjusts almost instantly once you start to drive.

Unfortunately, it seems to be common for loaners to have incorrect tire pressures. I got one two weeks ago on which three tires were underinflated by 4-5 psi, and one tire was over-inflated to something north of 50 psi! My first stop after leaving the service center was to a nearby tire store that has a convenient free outside air pump for public use, where I adjusted all four. The last thing I needed while driving a loaner would be to have a tire fail because of wrong tire pressure, or have braking be uneven in an emergency stop....

Would you recommend the pump you have, and if so, which one is it? (Thanks).
Sure thing mate. I bought this:

PRESSITO

Please note that you need to buy the battery separately. I also bought their torque drivers for changing my wheels as it uses the same battery and is a solid piece of kit:

TE-CW 18 Li Brushless-Solo

I then bought this dual battery and charger pack so I always have a charged spare for either:

2x 3,0Ah & Twincharger Kit

You’ll only need a separate torque wrench to fine tune the lug nuts to 175nm. I use the impact driver mainly to remove the wheels and start to mount the lugs. The driver will support up to 215nm, but I prefer to have it accurate at 175nm with a separate torque wrench.

I initially bought all this for when I do my track days and change wheels/tires and adjust pressure after a few runs, etc. However it’s proven to be more useful as the temps and season changes to adjust on the fly anywhere.

Cheers

• Informative
Reactions: rotor2k
I'd expect all you environmentally friendly young fellas would be using foot pumps...good exercise.
I have a Lidl compressor in the barn for my farm stuff and ,of course, great for blowing crap off things. Used more for cleaning mowers and chainsaws than inflation. Since I'm not motor racing or carrying a spare there's little point in fancy stuff being carted about. Any leak too big to be limped on to a garage or home and it's going to be the AA for a flat-bed or a 'take my wheel and fix it'

I must hold the record for lowest inflated tyres on collection . Collected 2.11.19 West Drayton LR AWD . Pressures 36/7 psi across the board .and alert came on on the way home . They have held the same for a week ocassionally coming up to 37 across the board . Any reasons Tesla would fill them so low . Standard aero wheels ..presume most are filling to 41psi..ish?