TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

U Texas Daily Texan editorial on Tesla

Discussion in 'Texas' started by reddy, Sep 13, 2013.

1. reddy

reddy Member

2. texex91

texex91 Banned

Good to see the Daily Texan getting something right--hook'em!

3. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

Tesla spends $$ lobbying??
    --

4. Amped_up

Amped_up Member

Hopefully stories like this will help change this outdated law. I can't tell you what a pain in the a$$ it has been to purchase the MS in Texas. Many thanks to all of the TMC individuals who went out of their way to make the process as smooth as possible.

5. texex91

texex91 Banned

#5 texex91, Sep 14, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
    Yep, and they are need to step up the $$ the next session if they have any hope of getting law changed.

In TX those that contribute the most win--pretty simple (don't agree with it, but it's the truth).

Telsa will need to spend at least $500K next session in order to even have a glimmer of hope. Of course that's 5-6 cars sold, so money well spent if they want Texas to change. Reality is, it will take multiple sessions and millions in lobby money to get anywhere.

Welcome to Texas.

6. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Active Member

Wouldn't you rather see that whole process changed than to give in to it and accept it as reality? That's why 'they' get away with it, because the public allows them to get away with it.

7. texex91

texex91 Banned

I would love to see it change--any ideas???

Turning a huge ship like TADA and the TX Dealers will take years, if not decades.

I don't like it at all. We can call our Congressman, Senator, etc. Get petitions, go picket, and the list goes on.

Hate to say it, all of that is mute when the lobbyist shows up with a $50K donation to that same Congressman, Senator, etc. That is almost impossible to change--this is Texas not CA.

8. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Active Member

Yes. Don't encourage Tesla (or anyone) to play the game as you did above. :wink:

It might. What's your point? They didn't get this big and powerful over night.

The mountain looks real big when you stand at the bottom of it and gape, but once you start traversing, taking each challenge as it presents itself, soon you can look behind you and see that the trees below look like specks. Simply put; the only way to accomplish any great feat - say, like building a rocket ship or car company from scratch - is to get on with it.

There's more than one way to skin a cat. Surely Texans don't need a lesson in creativity?

9. texex91

texex91 Banned

#9 texex91, Sep 14, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
    Ok thanks--we'll get to work on that.

Now back to reality, I hope Tesla steps up next session and donates some serious money.

10. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

So I presume you don't have referenda that would avoid the lobbyists.

11. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Active Member

And that's exactly why it never changes. You don't actually want it to change or you're too lazy to see it changed.

12. texex91

texex91 Banned

Ok thanks. Take care.

"We have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it"
    Nancy Pelosi - CA

13. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

...... and a good case for why context matters.

Can we please keep this on the topic of Texas and Tesla?

14. texex91

texex91 Banned

As you wish...

musk_zps62f80a4a.jpg

15. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Receiving campaign contributions should be a felony offense. Politicians are already paid a salary--they shouldn't get or need anything else. And none should serve more than one term. That would prevent their job from being "getting elected the next time".

16. qwk

qwk Model S P2681

+100000000000000000

17. csummers

csummers Member

I've been driving my roadster around campus a lot in the last few weeks meeting with student entrepreneurs. Perhaps this got them fired up. Unfortunately buying influence is as old as politics. Would be nice to see it changed. Perhaps if we all start with our local reps & senators and build bridges (and give them a ride across...) we can start having influence for change. I bought the first CPO sold to Texas and it was not a simple process. Yes I had to 'buy' it on the net and have it shipped to Austin so it is doable, just takes more effort, and as you all know it is worth it.

18. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

"Them's fightin' words."
    You might have just unleashed something, Krugerrand....

- - - Updated - - -

Any interesting replies will be immediately off-topic. Might be worth starting a thread on this branch....

19. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Active Member

Pfft! If that's all it takes to get a Texan bent, they might want to loosen their hat. :tongue: