Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ugh, Ordered Mud flaps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mswlogo

Aug 27, 2018
NH
Washed my car yesterday. It rained out yesterday and washed a lot of salt away. Cold and windy today (everything is mostly "freeze dried") so I thought I might be ok for at least a couple days.

My drive to work is all back roads, only 2.5 miles. Probably passed 5 cars going the opposite way. The roads were dry. With just a few wet patches, that I drove over slowly. 30 mph most of the way. No puddles. See image below. The back is not bad.

With 5K miles the paint seems to be holding up pretty good though.

So I caved and ordered some mud flaps. These have to be the nicest looking mud flap I've ever seen. They are fairly tightly cut, so I'm hoping for minimal range impact. I'll try to do some careful range testing before and after. And post some photos. I think they will look nice with the Midnight Silver. And maintain the "Stealth" look. I might only mount the front ones. No drill holes to mount.

If anyone has any data or photos on these I'd love to see it.

So I ordered these -> Model 3 Carbon Fiber Mudflaps See image below.

46295609375_434b9330a9_h_d.jpg

What I ordered

46295776945_9f989744c8_h_d.jpg

Last edited:
Washed my car yesterday. It rained out yesterday and washed a lot of salt away. Cold and windy today (everything is mostly "freeze dried") so I thought I might be ok for at least a couple days.

My drive to work is all back roads, only 2.5 miles. Probably passed 5 cars going the opposite way. The roads were dry. With just a few wet patches, that I drove over slowly. 30 mph most of the way. No puddles. See image below. The back is not bad.

With 5K miles the paint seems to be holding up pretty good though.

So I caved and ordered some mud flaps. These have to be the nicest looking mud flap I've ever seen. They are fairly tightly cut, so I'm hoping for minimal range impact. I'll try to do some careful range testing before and after. And post some photos. I think they will look nice with the Midnight Silver. And maintain the "Stealth" look. I might only mount the front ones. No drill holes to mount.

If anyone has any data or photos on these I'd love to see it.

So I ordered these -> Model 3 Carbon Fiber Mudflaps See image below.

46295609375_434b9330a9_h_d.jpg

What I ordered

46295776945_9f989744c8_h_d.jpg

@mswlogo,

I’m interested in your findings. Looking forward to both range hit if any as well as how well these perform due to the “tightness” of the cut. Looks like they should still be effective in their own right. Sure wish they had more photos posted from varying angles and esp the front view of mounting....believe its two clips?

Ski

My plan is to shut off heat, battery fully warmed up enough for full regen.

Drive 15 miles on highway (65 mph) and 15 miles back and take picture of Energy Chart.
Then do it again to see how repeatable that is.
Assuming it is, then mount flaps and test again.

If I don't do it thoroughly it will haunt me.

Drive 15 miles on highway (65 mph) and 15 miles back and take picture of Energy Chart.

I’d do it 3 times in a row for each, get yourself an average.

That would be really helpful.
But wondering if you could do some run at 75, as that most realistic speed on long drives..

I got them in. I’m a bit disappointed. Not sure I want to put them on. Not sure how much protection they will give. But on the plus side I think there range impact would be pretty minimal.

They don’t look quite like the pictures IMHO. They are are pretty thin. Finished only on one side.

I think they are real carbon fiber. No double sided tape included. Not a big deal, but odd.

Check out this install video.

Why can’t they show them installed !!!

I got them in. I’m a bit disappointed. Not sure I want to put them on. Not sure how much protection they will give. But on the plus side I think there range impact would be pretty minimal.

They don’t look quite like the pictures IMHO. They are are pretty thin. Finished only on one side.

I think they are real carbon fiber. No double sided tape included. Not a big deal, but odd.

I agree. The only pictures I could find before this were the marketing pictures showing only the rear CF profile installed which look amazing. Now that I see the actual product I’m not sure I would buy them. I personally think they may not look integrated enough especially where it mates to the wheel arch. It’s also a relatively thin fender well edge on the 3 for the tape to adhere to.
For the install I would definitely only use 3M VHB (very high bond) double sided tape. Amazon has a nice selection of it in smaller rolls. It replaces rivets and welds so really strong stuff.

I just bought this roll to supplement the same tape that came with the T Sportline CF dash I bought. The tape is gray but should be virtually invisible on the backside of the guard. I would actually consider installing the tape on the wheel well edge first and then positioning the guard to avoid tape showing outside the seam.

https://www.amazon.ca/TapeCase-Width-Length-Converted-Tape/dp/B007Y7DTX2

3M™ VHB™ Tape RP25 | 3M United States

Additional info and thicknesses:

https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media...ic-foam-tape-rp16-rp25-rp32-rp45-and-rp62.pdf

Reactions: TORQU3
Anyone try these? They look a little unusual but for what they prevent, I think it's worth it.

They also look like they could be shaped to look better with the right tools.

I like the before and after pictures, even the mud-flaps stay clean in the "After" picture :)
I'd like to see the Mud-flaps covered in dirt and see what the car looks like.

Did you decide to install them? Would appreciate some pictures, thanks!