Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ugh... Turkey "juices" in the trunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Get the igloo 48qt cooler someone suggested here from Walmart. It fits perfectly in the trunk cavity and will prevent things like this the next time.

My wife and I just keep a couple insulated reusable grocery bags in our cars (my model 3, her model Y). Anything (and I do mean anything) that could leak, melt, drip, etc goes in one of those bags in the trunk, when we go shopping.

This includes things like wine, spirits, ice cream, meat (in its packages) etc. The only thing that doesnt go in those insulated bags is stuff like fast food / take out that we are picking up, and that goes in the frunk unless one of us is actively holding the bag and eating (which isnt often actually).

The insulated bags we have are from Costco, and we have had them a few years now. I think they cost like $9.99 each when we bought them, and we have 4 total. My wife also has an additional one beside the 2 costco ones in her model Y from trader joes, but same deal.

Costco insulated bag.png
trader joes insulated bag.png

We hear these horror stories a lot on many Tesla forums of food spills/leaks that are hard to clean. This machine washable trunk mat by Zorbec is the answer - yes, it can actually be put in the washer and dryer. If there was a turkey juice spill on it, it would come out of the washer and dryer with no smell looking as good as new.

Just got back from grocery trip and of course I noticed that the turkey I just bought was leaking and some of the wonderful juices leaked out of the bag and got onto the trunk surfaces.

I just sprayed and wiped the whole thing down with lysol all purpose cleaner (w/o bleach) multiple times and am airing it out. Anything else I should do? Ugh.

We hear these horror stories a lot on many Tesla forums of food spills/leaks that are hard to clean. This machine washable trunk mat by Zorbec is the answer - yes, it can actually be put in the washer and dryer. If there was a turkey juice spill on it, it would come out of the washer and dryer with no smell looking as good as new.
I have a horror story to share as well. I had an Indian curry spill in the trunk of my Model 3. The smell was terrible even after shampooing. Maybe I'll check out the Zorbec mat.

Get the trunk/frunk mats before your next turkey trip. There's a lip to contain spills. Just mop up, then take the mat out and hose off if necessary.

I leave the trunk, frunk, and floor mats in year round. Great for muddy footprints, beach trips, etc.

If you spill something that soaks the trunk bucket liner, you need to remove the liner and clean under the hard foam board beneath it. Otherwise you still have the liquid trapped down there. I used dish soap, and a hose to thoroughly wash liner after removing it (the water runs through it) and a shop vac to partially dry it.

You just remove the front and rear lid, pull off the side and back trim, pop out the six pushpins, and lift out the liner and foam board. You'll see the liquid trapped below the foam board in all of the nooks in the plastic bucket. See pics below.
20231218_150201.jpg
20231218_150233.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: laservet